Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I've never heard of such a thing!
IIRC, colorado has some really bizarre divorce law, too.

Last edited by le roi; 08-10-2012 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
so maintenance is just another term for alimony?
Yes, essentially, they are intertwined, but there are specific things listed as to what is "Rehabilative Maintence." Don't hold me hostage to this, but I also believe it has something to do with income taxes as well, depending on what it is listed as.

What many people don't realize is alimony paid is subject to income tax by the recipient and is also a tax deduction for the provider. If an item is listed as 'maintenance' it may not be a taxable amount.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Yeah, see they never had kids, or went to fancy places. She's telling us (her friends) that she wants it so she can start meeting men. I can see if she was accustomed to that lifestyle, but she never actually cared for that sort of thing.

I guess it's the whole "well, I want it now because I'm going to be single and need to meet men" that gets me.
Women like this give the rest of us a bad name

Although, if I ever get married all of our finances will be separate and if we go in on any 'big ticket' items, written agreements will be drawn up.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Yes, essentially, they are intertwined, but there are specific things listed as to what is "Rehabilative Maintence." Don't hold me hostage to this, but I also believe it has something to do with income taxes as well, depending on what it is listed as.

What many people don't realize is alimony paid is subject to income tax by the recipient and is also a tax deduction for the provider. If an item is listed as 'maintenance' it may not be a taxable amount.
I actually knew this from when my parents got divorced - my dad told me.

Also, my friend said that her husband's lawyer says he doesn't want it as "maintenance" because then he could wind up having to pay it for a very long time. I guess that's why they separate it from alimony? Alimony is only for a certain period, maintenance could be forever.

Whatever the case, I don't blame him. I love my friend, but she walked out on him, and is now mad at him for not catering to these weird requests.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Women like this give the rest of us a bad name
Exactly. When I was married, my husband used to say a lot of "well I did this for my ex-wife and she scr*wed me over, so I'm not doing it for you".

Um, okay....................don't blame her actions on me.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
My friend is getting divorced. In addition to alimony, she is asking for $2,000/month for "maintenance" - hair appointments, getting manicures and pedicures, new clothes, etc. She is furious that her ex-to-be is fighting against that.

Does that sound odd, or is it just me? Since when are "maintenance" payments, in addition to alimony, considered acceptable in a divorce?
You know, when I hear about stuff like this, I know some lawyer dreamed up this crap and told their client about it.
I mean, people are stupid and shallow and materialistic, but they often get ideas about how to enhance that dbaggery from those shysters.

I have a LOT of lawyers in my family, and it always blows my mind.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
I can understand alimony in the case of a long-term spouse who needs help getting on his or her feet, but expecting an ex to pay for you to spruce yourself up and meet someone else? The gall.

This thread is going to be super fun, I can tell.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,162,884 times
Greedy Bit$$ is what she is...

He should fight this... And I hope he wins...

Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
It's crazy to me that some women are out there raising kids without child support and then there are women like this, abusing the system for petty BS.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
It's crazy to me that some women are out there raising kids without child support and then there are women like this, abusing the system for petty BS.
THIS^^^

My stepmother scraped by, raising her DD, cut corners where she could, living on pasta (for herself and fed her child better, what she could afford for better) just so she could keep a roof over their head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships