Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,161,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This thread is going to be super fun, I can tell.
I didn't psot this cause a commotion, I was just curious. I know when I left my ex, all I cared about was getting myself out safely. He treated me like cr*p, but I never tried to get revenge in any way. The biggest prize of all, was me coming out of it alive.

Then I listen to my friend who decides she was young when she married him and now is over him, and wants him to pay her to look pretty everyday. Hell no. She works, she's not struggling or trying to raise kids and could use the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,614,604 times
one more reason not to ever get married. As if guys needed any more.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 AM

36,655 posts, read 30,960,466 times
From what I read in the links provided maintance is just the new word for alimony. So its either or. Nothing new.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,708,766 times
Divorce sure sucks.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I didn't psot this cause a commotion, I was just curious. I know when I left my ex, all I cared about was getting myself out safely. He treated me like cr*p, but I never tried to get revenge in any way. The biggest prize of all, was me coming out of it alive.

Then I listen to my friend who decides she was young when she married him and now is over him, and wants him to pay her to look pretty everyday. Hell no. She works, she's not struggling or trying to raise kids and could use the help.

I dont know about your state specifically, but good luck to her. If she dosent meet the criteria for alimony theres not much chance she will get it because she wants it unless he just agrees to it.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post

Alimony works both ways. Just dont marry someone who cant/wont contribute financially.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,660,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Actually, it's a good reason to be careful when choosing your partners. My friends all poke fun at me because I take my time before I get into a relationship...well, stuff like this is a good example why people should really think long and hard about getting in a relationship and getting married to the person they're with. I'm sure he knew she was materialistic before he got married...so why did he marry her?

Maybe the OP can answer, was your friend this bad before she got married? Did he know, or was he blinded by a pretty face?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Greedy gold digger. Let her new boyfriends pay for her maintenance. Hell I don't even think she deserves alimony with that sort of attitude.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
No, this is not a new concept by any means. While divorce specifics vary by state, what you are speaking of is commonly known as 'keeping one in a style to which they have become accustomed to.' This generally transpires in decisions throughout the marriage on what each partner provides and wants from the other. If the couple frequented a country club per se and required her to 'maintenance' - hair, clothing and any other appropriate accommodation - and the man agreed throughout the marriage to provide that 'maintenance' and even desired it from her then she could be awarded that and sometimes even the country club membership paid is considered a maintenance payment. There is also Rehabilative Maintenance and that would cover these types of expenses while an ex spouse sought an education and job.

The pendulum swings both ways on this and can be awarded to the man. Again, it depends on the decisions made throughout the marriage by each party as to what they would provide.

Alimony & Maintenance Payments - Divorce Law Guide
Good info Though I do think some judges lump the maintenance into the alimony amount so that the words have kind of become interchangeable.

And I a do know a woman who has had to pay this maintenance to her ex-husband.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,828,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Greedy gold digger. Let her new boyfriends pay for her maintenance. Hell I don't even think she deserves alimony with that sort of attitude.
I hate threads like this because guys like you jump on and say crap like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships