Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:44 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I need to point out a few things that I already said, but it's getting lost in teh mix.

~ She works - always has, so she's not lacking in skills.

~ He husband didn't cheat. She first got mad because he didn't ask her about her bad day, then it turned into "married too youing, tired of him"

~ I'm not looking for people to argue on who deserves what, I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of this before.

ETA:

~ She was never a high maintenance woman, she just decided she wants that life now, so it wasn't to be expected

It is as antiquated as many laws of divorce are, but are still used like 'Alienation of Affection," whereby a person in a marriage can sue the third party if he or she screws around with their husband or wife which subsequently leads to divorce. Rarely used, but a law still on the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 11:45 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,529 times
Two things which should be mandatory before people get married.
One,they should be required to read John Gray's "Venus and Mars" series of books,then pass a written test.
Two,they must sit in the Family Court of their county for an entire session,so they know what happens "if things don't work out".
I predict there would be alot less marriages,but also far fewer divorces.
Divorce Attorneys the nation over would have to seek meaningful employment,like cleaning public restrooms.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:46 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
She's actually trying for BOTH - as 2 different things. That's where her husband is arguing.

From everything I have read they are the same thing, not two seperate payments.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
Two things which should be mandatory before people get married.
One,they should be required to read John Gray's "Venus and Mars" series of books,then pass a written test.
Two,they must sit in the Family Court of their county for an entire session,so they know what happens "if things don't work out".
I predict there would be alot less marriages,but also far fewer divorces.
Divorce Attorneys the nation over would have to seek meaningful employment,like cleaning public restrooms.
There's a saying about - 'If divorces happened in a church like a marriage does there would be a lot less of them."

Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
Where did he find this monster, Beverly hills? Aspen?
They live in a small town, nothing Beverly Hills-like which is all more WTF? worthy.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not doubting what anyone has posted. I'm just going by what she says. My thought to her was "isn't that called alimony??????"

Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Alimony is money that is paid by one spouse to another during and/or after divorce, dissolution or legal separation. Spousal support and maintenance are modern terms used to describe alimony in states like California that no longer recognize alimony.

Limited-term Support and Rehabilitative Maintenance
Limited-term support is in some ways similar to temporary support. It is paid for a pre-determined period of time and intended to cover a spouse or former spouse’s expenses, or to supplement his or her income while he or she completes an education, gets a job or otherwise becomes self-supporting. Limited-term support may be calculated in any number of ways, but is usually dependent upon a number of factors such as age, income, education, length of marriage, estimated time it should take for a dependent spouse to become self-supporting and disabilities

Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 AM

While I am rooting for her husband, and I have seen this with people before which is why I have stepped back from friendships with them, I do agree that men are just as likely to be this way. It may not be as common, but it happens.

I married someone who changed practially before the ink was dry on our marriage certificate. In addition to becoming absuvie and deep into drugs and alcohol, he would "lose jobs". He would claim he got laid off but couldn't collecet because he hadn't been there long enough (that was trueof the 2 jobs he had while were together), but then when I started pressing a little, he told me that he had supported his first wife and now it was his time to sit back and have someone support him.

Um, no.

Between that and the abuse, I left.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I need to point out a few things that I already said, but it's getting lost in teh mix.

~ She works - always has, so she's not lacking in skills.

~ He husband didn't cheat. She first got mad because he didn't ask her about her bad day, then it turned into "married too youing, tired of him"

~ I'm not looking for people to argue on who deserves what, I just wanted to know if anyone had heard of this before.

ETA:

~ She was never a high maintenance woman, she just decided she wants that life now, so it wasn't to be expected

Ive heard of people asking for the moon. You can ask all you want, but there are indeed guidelines in the divorce game. If she works they will weigh the difference in income and income potential and assign any alimony based on that. Chances are if he makes a lot more she will be entitled to alimony or maintence to make up the difference for a particular amount of time if at all. It dosent matter who did what or why they are divorcing if it is a no fault divorce. I dont see any way in hades that she could get 2000$ in alimony unless he makes a butt load of money and has been providing such luxuries for her these 15 years or he just stupidly agrees to whatever.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:58 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,836,808 times
Quote:
My friend is getting divorced. In addition to alimony, she is asking for $2,000/month for "maintenance" - hair appointments, getting manicures and pedicures, new clothes, etc. She is furious that her ex-to-be is fighting against that.

Does that sound odd, or is it just me? Since when are "maintenance" payments, in addition to alimony, considered acceptable in a divorce?
Yea, make me pay to "maintain" my ex wife so that she can bang another dude. No wayyyyyyy... I would PO'd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships