Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

I think the failed marriage rate, as caused by the disintegration of monogamy, has already hit bottom and will probably remain about where it is, statistically.

And nobody here likes my opinion on this. I totally believe in FAULT divorce. Whoever is the party that cheated is the party that ponies up the money to raise the kids. That way, "deep pockets" will not be the recourse in a divorce, as it is in fender-benders.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:25 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

And nobody here likes my opinion on this. I totally believe in FAULT divorce. Whoever is the party that cheated is the party that ponies up the money to raise the kids. That way, "deep pockets" will not be the recourse in a divorce, as it is in fender-benders.
Are you really assuming all divorces occur due to cheating? If so, you don't know much about divorce, compatibility, etc.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
"The disintegration of monogamy will lead us back to the law of the jungle"

Can you expand a bit on what you mean by this?What does the law of the jungle have to do with humans and/or monogamy. Do you mean we will become like animals, who are in general not monogamous yet manage quite well? How do you propose this deconstruction of society will happen due to not being monogamous?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:39 PM

Trimac needs to come back and clarify his OP, and what he wants the focus of the discussion to be about. I agree,^^^ much is not clear.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you really assuming all divorces occur due to cheating? If so, you don't know much about divorce, compatibility, etc.
No, I know that that isn't the case. In fact, I think financial squabbles are the #1 reason. But I know many that have collapsed due to infidelity and, in most cases, the infidelity was caused by a woman kept in bon-bons cheating on her dweeby and unsuspecting husband in his corner office. He shouldn't have to pay a red cent. Sorry.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:46 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
No, I know that that isn't the case. In fact, I think financial squabbles are the #1 reason. But I know many that have collapsed due to infidelity and, in most cases, the infidelity was caused by a woman kept in bon-bons cheating on her dweeby and unsuspecting husband in his corner office. He shouldn't have to pay a red cent. Sorry.
Nah, in just as many, if not more, cases the husband gets bored of his wife who's staying home and taking care of the kids and house and ends up banging the new girl from accounting in his corner office.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:01 PM

Of the divorces I know of, most were simply that one or both parties brought too much baggage into the relationship. They should have taken care of that before or during the marriage, or just made bad choices, so they didn't get along. One marriage was due to the hubby's infidelity (he was a univ. professor AND a psychotherapist, and he dipped in both wells...:rolleyes). One was simply because the guy decided to take the woman to the cleaners and make off with his half of the value of the house her parents bought for them. They got along well, AFAIK. The break-up was out of nowhere. He needed start-up funds for a business he wanted to start.

Sometimes the marriages you expect to blow apart, don't, and the ones that are doing fine suddenly go up in smoke.

But aren't we getting off-topic? What is the topic? TRI! We need you!

Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Nah, in just as many, if not more, cases the husband gets bored of his wife who's staying home and taking care of the kids and house and ends up banging the new girl from accounting in his corner office.
Ok, babe, that happens, too, but none of my male friends are doing that. I know my friends pretty well and they're not that type. But I've seen the converse happen to my male friends. IIRC, you and I are both Catholic, but I don't think a discussion at Starbucks over coffee would last more than 3 minutes.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:10 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,428,020 times
Back in the day people HAD to stay together, there was too much at stake, too much work to be done, and starvation would have been the consequence of all the petty stuff that people today occupy themselves with. They were too busy working and trying to survive to spend their day wondering if they were "fulfilled" or whether their spouse "respected their interests" or whatever.

People today have too much time and their brains are flooded with crap from TV, making them compare their marriages to ones they see in the movies. They think they should behave like people on TV, and invent drama and stupid things in their mind that lead to unnecessary issues and complications. They have too much time on their hands and invent all kinds of drama and problems.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Ok, babe, that happens, too, but none of my male friends are doing that. I know my friends pretty well and they're not that type. But I've seen it happen to my friends. IIRC, you and I are both Catholic, but I don't think a discussion at Starbucks over coffee would last more than 3 minutes.
And I've seen exactly the opposite happen to the females of my acquaintance, including my mother. The best part was when Pop hid his assets so he wouldn't have to even split the marital assets 50/50, despite the fact that my mother had held down a professional career during the entire marriage.

I know of both men and women who cheat. Could the fact that you only see this happen to your male friends be because you have no (or minimal) female friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.