Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,076,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Womens wages havent improved on a relative basis since the 70s. Womens liberation movement was a colossal failure in that regard
Studies have shown that wages for women over 40 haven't improved, but the wage gap between younger women and their male counterparts has almost disappeared.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,214,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Apparently the womens lib movement has made many women uptight as well!
A woman says what's on her mind and she's "uptight?"

Never mind decades. What century are you from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I am not entirely a woman lib type of person however I'm a mother. And like to remind every man where they came from.

A womb in a woman.
Dang straight! They were shot out of the very place most of them spend the rest of their lives trying to get back into!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
You're romanticising the past. I think one of the modern changes is that everything, for the most part is in the open, instead of hidden. A world, where essentially, men could be sexually active, and women couldn't without the proverbial scarlet letter.

The 1950's and past era's were filled with many unhappy marriages, everything was behind closed doors to maintain the middle America veneer.

I much prefer the current age with more equality, whether sexually or climbing the corporate ladder. I don't feel that we are headed back to the laws of the jungle - I think only things like war, natural disasters, biological etc. will cause that.

I think we get (for the most part), what we "demand" and live for our selves. I was with the same man for 18 years and was faithful, my world is filled with few divorces among family and peers.
Maybe I am, but we shouldn't always act like things get better over time, progressively. That's the mistake both conservatives and liberals both make. An intelligent person can see we've changed, for better or worse, with new benefits but new challenges.

I too welcome the equality, but does it have to come at the cost of being truly romantic? Listen to pop songs these days, there isn't even a shred of romance. In the 90s there was talk of love, at least, but these days not even that.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
HA, I'm one of the least uptight people you'll ever come across
I'm just sick of people romanticizing the past because it benefits them and represses others.

Agreed, but at least those women can leave and there are resources out there that can help them. Divorced women and single Moms (to a certain extent, I know single Moms still aren't praised in any way) aren't completely shunned by the community like they used to be.
True. My grandparents were one such couple. It seemed they hated each other, my grandmother was abused. Of course it's easy to say 'why didn't you just leave him?' But she also had 10 kids to take care of . This was in post-war Singapore (when it was a third world country), not prosperous post-war middle class America, and she had to work out of the home as well as looking after the kids! She lived a hard life, and I really do respect her resilience. Still, she lived with the old man even after the kids had grown, and I do wonder why. They didn't even like each other in any sense, at least it seemed to me, let alone loved each other.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,649,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe I am, but we shouldn't always act like things get better over time, progressively. That's the mistake both conservatives and liberals both make. An intelligent person can see we've changed, for better or worse, with new benefits but new challenges.

I too welcome the equality, but does it have to come at the cost of being truly romantic? Listen to pop songs these days, there isn't even a shred of romance. In the 90s there was talk of love, at least, but these days not even that.
The song thing is interesting. There are a ton of songs about getting screwed over by the opposite sex, and a lot of songs about the hope of love happening in the future...but you're right. Not a lot of songs about love right now.

Except for everything Darius Rucker has put out in the last few years. And boy is that getting old.

1,637 posts, read 1,883,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

When A guy points out the obvious that the Womens Lib movement was mostly a failure , the females get rabid and declare "He is romanticizing the past"...When a poster goes on a rant about horrible things that still commonly happen today, that womans lib hasnt solved she is just speaking her mind. A woman brought me in to this world, I have the great respect for females and what they do in this world and for our society, but I don't think in my almost 40 years on this planet that I ever figured out or understand what flows through many of your minds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

Dang straight! They were shot out of the very place most of them spend the rest of their lives trying to get back into!
Yes. I can image a grizzled old bearded man grumbling about 'them damned uppity women!' lol

Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,883,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I am not entirely a woman lib type of person however I'm a mother. And like to remind every man where they came from.

A womb in a woman.

Yeah well somebody planted the seed!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The song thing is interesting. There are a ton of songs about getting screwed over by the opposite sex, and a lot of songs about the hope of love happening in the future...but you're right. Not a lot of songs about love right now.

Except for everything Darius Rucker has put out in the last few years. And boy is that getting old.
Actually. I often say the one thing I dislike about songs from before the 70s was how they were so overwhelmingly about love! TOO many love songs, if you ask me. Now I'd like to see at least a few songs that are POSITIVE about lasting, soul love, instead of breakups, cheating.etc. I'm a songwriter myself, and I tend to prefer to write not so much about romantic love (partly because I've never truly known it).

Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,649,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
True. My grandparents were one such couple. It seemed they hated each other, my grandmother was abused. Of course it's easy to say 'why didn't you just leave him?' But she also had 10 kids to take care of . This was in post-war Singapore (when it was a third world country), not prosperous post-war middle class America, and she had to work out of the home as well as looking after the kids! She lived a hard life, and I really do respect her resilience. Still, she lived with the old man even after the kids had grown, and I do wonder why. They didn't even like each other in any sense, at least it seemed to me, let alone loved each other.
Maybe she thought she couldn't make it out there 'on her own'? My Grandparents finally split up after nearly 50 years of marriage a few years back after years of verbal and emotional abuse by my Grandfather (he's much better now though) and it's been very tough for her. I just don't think she was ready emotionally to go at it on her own after living the majority of her life with my Grandfather. Hell, I'm super independent and it was tough for me to leave my ex after we'd been living together for 3 years, even though I knew it was for the best. I can't imagine 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.