Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
yea this thread has turned into yet another college-bashing thread lol
Yeah. Even though I date mostly blue-collar guys, they've all bragged about my brains and academic accomplishment to their friends and family, just as I've bragged about their skills and intelligence to mine. I've always been with guys who have appreciated that we both took the paths that suited us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Yeah. Even though I date mostly blue-collar guys, they've all bragged about my brains and academic accomplishment to their friends and family, just as I've bragged about their skills and intelligence to mine. I've always been with guys who have appreciated that we both took the paths that suited us.
i understand what some people are saying. the bar to entry has certainly been lowered when it comes to college. you can find many dumb kids in college these days. however the more intelligent members of the population are still choosing the college path- usually just at better colleges or more demanding programs. personally i don't find academic intelligence to be a positive trait in a significant other. what good does that really do me? i'd much rather have a guy that is funny, loyal, and hard-working. no i don't want to date someone extremely dumb, but someone of average intelligence suits me just fine. of course, every average joe thinks he is super intelligent (probably the case with many of those "examples" discussed in this thread). all of the men i've dated have been college educated, in college, or college bound (various stages of life lol), but that is more to do with the group i tend to socialize with and less to do with the value i place on college education in a mate. two of my bfs just barely squeaked by in college and are only of average intelligence IMO. never an issue.

i think too many people use "intelligence" as a catch word to include "all good qualities" when it really does not at all. there are many other good traits and talents in life.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
personally i don't find academic intelligence to be a positive trait in a significant other. what good does that really do me? i'd much rather have a guy that is funny, loyal, and hard-working.
All things being equal, a college degree makes getting a job or promotion easier, at least in the corporate world where a lot of us work. My husband doesn't have a degree, but he needs one to move into upper management so he went back to school. What good does that do me? More money for the family, not to mention an easier career path for him, which indirectly benefits me too because he is ambitious and happy moving forward.

Your last sentence is a false dichotomy. Having a degree and being funny, loyal, and hard-working are not mutually exclusive.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:40 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
i understand what some people are saying. the bar to entry has certainly been lowered when it comes to college. you can find many dumb kids in college these days. however the more intelligent members of the population are still choosing the college path- usually just at better colleges or more demanding programs. personally i don't find academic intelligence to be a positive trait in a significant other. what good does that really do me? i'd much rather have a guy that is funny, loyal, and hard-working. no i don't want to date someone extremely dumb, but someone of average intelligence suits me just fine. of course, every average joe thinks he is super intelligent (probably the case with many of those "examples" discussed in this thread). all of the men i've dated have been college educated, in college, or college bound (various stages of life lol), but that is more to do with the group i tend to socialize with and less to do with the value i place on college education in a mate. two of my bfs just barely squeaked by in college and are only of average intelligence IMO. never an issue.

i think too many people use "intelligence" as a catch word to include "all good qualities" when it really does not at all. there are many other good traits and talents in life.
I'm like a zombie: I need brains. But mostly I'm looking for brains that work differently than mine does. I want to be balanced--not mirrored-- by my significant other.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Your last sentence is a false dichotomy. Having a degree and being funny, loyal, and hard-working are not mutually exclusive.
well yea- obviously. i thought it was implied, but i guess i should have indicated that i would prefer that in comparison to someone who was intelligent but lacked those other qualities.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
well yea- obviously. i thought it was implied, but i guess i should have indicated that i would prefer that in comparison to someone who was intelligent but lacked those other qualities.
Ah, gotcha.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,782 times
Quote:
You've got it wrapped around you like a blanket.
Why do you say that? I've only mentioned things that anger me. Are you saying that letting go of your anger and moving on means those things will never anger you again when you think of them? Because that doesn't sound right

Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry about your cousin - alternatively, my cousin was almost destroyed by his parent's utter neglect of him. They didn't care if he went to college. They didn't care if he was on drugs or failing out of school or getting arrested. There are all kinds of ways family can destroy a kid.
Yeah, but expectiong your kids to go college isn't necessarily caring about them. It can be a problem if you only care because you only see your kids as an extension of yourself, like another "thing" you own, as a matter of pride for yourself, as opposed to the separate beings who are their own ends, live for their own happiness.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM

I dunno if this has become a college-bashing thread, but yes college can be a problem if it provides a false sense of accomplishment, entitlement, actual education, and competence, and if it's used economy-wide to avoid actual judgement of people. Especially if said sense of accomplishment leads to condescension, and eventually bigotry. Again, I mentioned some of my relatives are racist, that easily flows with their condescension about education.

I frequently find all these things to be the case

and by false sense of education, it can make people think they're educated when they're not. One or two times in class you have someone show you something make you think in a way you never had before, and you go "ohhhhhh...", and for idiots, from then on they think they've suddenly learned how to think different and become educated when they in fact have not. Being educated, being able to think, is coming up with those "ohhhh" moments yourself all the time. My Dad once said to be "...but in college they teach you things, they teach you how to think, expose you to new things...", Yeah, it was novel for him, because he's a moron. I read all the time, various opinions and periodicals, I don't need college to help me think, exercise my brain. There's stuff in the world all around you for that.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:31 PM

475 posts, read 853,078 times
My wife has a degree in business, I learned leadership in the US Army. Here is a better question, you own a company that is in need of a strong leadership/management team. Would you recruit a recent MBA Grad or a former military officer? MBA has the degree but little experience, military officer has the experience but no degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships