Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 04:00 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times

Advertisements

I couldn't careless about my Masters degree but what I did value is the people I met and the connections I formed in my education years. It's not about what you know, it's about who knows you. Many people who are powerful in the industry I worked with at that time knew who I was and I worked hard to get noticed by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:13 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,648 times
Why should it matter? Sigh...just another way to look down on others while feeling better about your insecure self

Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Why should it matter? Sigh...just another way to look down on others while feeling better about your insecure self
I have to say I agree with that with some people.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:39 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I know. Somehow this went from - would you date someone who doesn't have a degree to people who went to college suck! When did going to college become a bad thing? And even though you can be very successful with out a college degree - there are still many, many professions that require one.
It is resentment mostly.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Why do you say that? I've only mentioned things that anger me. Are you saying that letting go of your anger and moving on means those things will never anger you again when you think of them? Because that doesn't sound right
You get to a point where you view things more clinically. Your posts were like blasts of very fresh rage. Maybe it's not the same for everyone, but after I've processed something, it's hard to get that original fury rolling along. I remember the anger and the depth of the emotion and can describe it quite well, but I don't feel it all over again, not once I've dealt with it and accepted it. It might take a while, but once I've addressed it, it loses its power over me.

I mean some things don't ever subside - I know that too. I have friends with PTSD, and I know all too well how that stuff works. But why give the people who are running you down that kind of power over your life? Why not just walk away if your parents treat you like a possession or status symbol? Just because they're your parents doesn't mean that everything has to be on their terms and that they get to treat you however they want - you're an adult with some control over the situation. You are always free to walk away. And sometimes that's the best thing you can do for yourself.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 PM

105 posts, read 199,893 times
Having a degree doesn't matter to me. It's character and how one lives their life that does.

I have enough degrees to share with a partner- and the associated student load debt load.

I think that there are many paths to success in life- going to formalized post-secondary education and attaining a piece of paper isn't the only way. I'm looking for someone with integrity, who is curious about the world, and driven to success- whatever path it takes.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,846,198 times
These threads are typically a slippery slope, because they tend to bring out people who will bash college the moment they can(especially if they chose not to go), or undermine the accomplishment of those who went to college, did well and felt it was a huge benefit to their lives. Unlike others, I don't view college as just a piece of paper. It represents a variety of personal accomplishments to me since I busted my butt in college and learned a lot. I wouldn't have ever dated a man that lacked a college degree AND felt the need to undermine my degree as "paper" or say that college was stupid/scam, unnecessary etc. To me if a person never went to college but had other assets(military, a highly crafted skill, their own business, at least attempted it but chose a better path taking some other road) I would have possibly given that person a chance if we had commonalities, chemistry, and of course if he had similar values as mine--one of them being that a higher education is important despite the fact that for whatever reason he didn't go. I would need to know the reason he didn't complete, go, or the reason he chose another path and decide from there. That being said it'd be silly for me to act as if most college graduates in 2012 are brainy folks that the regular population of folks just can't keep up with. That going to college means one is smarter than one that did not, and that going to college means one can only have a solid relationship with another college graduate. It isn't true. I don't consider myself brainy by the bit, however I did graduate at the top of my class and went to a great school. I still have not found any situation or circumstance where I met a person that did not go to college that could not catch up with me in a conversation. Though I'm sure I can possibly find myself in that situation.

What I have discovered is that there are intelligent, intellectual, people that love knowledge in all walks of life. You can't judge this simply based on whether or not one went to college. One of my sisters went to Harvard for undergrad. If you had a conversation with her, you'd think she went to a regular public 4 year college, her intelligence is not so off the charts that you'd struggle to keep up with her or feel she is too mentally stimulated. Matter of fact she is pretty easy to talk with. On the other hand my youngest sister goes to Northwestern University(in Chicago) and she is extremely smart, and yes you would struggle to keep up with her. These are two different people, two different college experiences, by all accounts the one that went to Harvard by society standards should be over the top in intelligence and be difficult to keep up with, but it isn't the case. The biggest difference between both of my sisters, is that the youngest one is "self-read"--she reads a lot, and chooses to take in a variety of learning experiences even when not in school. She has been doing this since she was a kid--therefore going to college did not increase her intelligence, rather it simply emphasized what was already there from the types of learning she was engaging prior to going.
When I was dating(not in the dating game anymore) most of my boyfriends went to college, that is how I met them. I was pretty standard in that I was most interested in a man that was most like me(degree and all). I would have made exceptions, however, if a man had other assets to compensate and had taken a path that would still lead to personal and financial success, which included business owners without degrees, military men, highly skilled tradesmen, etc. But would I have dated a man without college degree, working a job that only paid a minimal amount, with no feasible path/plan that would place him in a stable position if we had a family, and who did not value college or have similar values as I did? Nope. I was not interested in dated a man that was not financially stable, that worked at a dead-end job or a man that was bitter, ignorant, lacked "class" and had little common with me. I wouldn't have ever dated a man that truly felt that college was stupid, or wasn't an accomplishment or that attempted to undermine me had I chosen to get other degrees in the future. I also wouldn't have dated a man that felt threatened by my success or my decision to go to college.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 09-01-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,051,714 times
I've mentioned this in a similar post, but I'll do it again. I would date a guy without a college degree, but I'll add that I'd prefer a guy with one. I might be in the minority about my opinion, but I am a deep thinker, with a dry sense of humor, and am drawn to similar types of men, who are generally educated. They're also more likely to share similar interests. Contrary to what some think, there are still quite a few men that are intimidated by women who appear smarter (, and I'd hate to "dumb myself down"). I like a guy who can keep up with me, who is on the same page, and can challenge me, from an intellectual standpoint. However, if I meet a guy who otherwise knocks my socks off without having a degree, I'll make an exception.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
So, they didn't just turn it on for funsies, there was a reason and you were being a bad passenger.
Sorry, Jet, I was mainly referring to the military guy being a a-hole, via his attitude and condescension. I've changed planes at SLC quite a bit, since it's a hub, but I've never seen the light, WITHOUT an announcement, come on half an hour before.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:21 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I know people with college degrees who wait tables.
No doubt. Same exact spectrum WITH college degrees. From cashier at Barnes and Noble ... to corner office 80 stories up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships