Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:41 AM

525 posts, read 1,554,961 times

Advertisements

What do you think of guys that are overly affectionate and touchy-feely, that includes PDA. I like those kind of guys better than one that isn't affectionate at all. I couldn't be with a guy that didn't give or return affection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Maybe I'm being sexist to my own gender, but when you see men being overtly touchy feely to their girlfriends or wives in public you get the idea they just want one thing. This may not be the case, of course, but it's an unfortunate stereotype.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:30 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,636,281 times
I love physical contact, and I hug and PDA and hold hands, I prefer a hug to a kiss any day of the week! - touching is a way to communicate, there are different types of touch and if the person you are with percieves your touch for sexual maybe your with the wrong person!

Jonathan

Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 AM

380 posts, read 795,441 times
PDA and overly affectionate guys=clingy in my book. Why should it be any different for men? Women who are overly affectionate are labeled "clingy" all the time. Women who show PDA are pegged as doing so in order to "mark their territory" to other women. Don't see why it should be any different when men do it.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
What do you think of guys that are overly affectionate and touchy-feely, that includes PDA. I like those kind of guys better than one that isn't affectionate at all. I couldn't be with a guy that didn't give or return affection.
"Overly" is subjective, so it varies from person to person. Nobody is going to want someone who is overly affectionate, but no two people will have the same idea about what that means.

I like affection too, but I do not like much PDA, especially in places where I don't know anybody. For example, I will kiss my husband on the lips in front of extended family or close friends, and on the cheek in front of the general public, but never French kiss in front of others. We hold hands sometimes, stuff like that. Macking in public, no way.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,136 times
I think the only people who view someone as "overly" affectionate, whether with respect to the mildest of PDA's or around the house, are the people who are NOT interested in being touched, held, kissed, spoken to in sweet whispers, hugged, etc, BY that particular person unless they're in the mood.

That sort of thing never bodes well for a relationship.

Sure, there are certain inappropriate behaviours based on a crowd or public display, and her illustration was pretty spot-on. I'm not going for an all-out tongue-swap out in the crowd, or the middle of the mall, or in a restaurant. I love holding hands, walking arm-in-arm, kissing, impromptu piggy-back rides, etc. I'm a very affectionate person. But there are limits, times, places, etc.

On the other hand if I haven't seen her for a long time, have been away on business, or am about to LEAVE for a long time (I still think in terms of deployment despite no longer being an active soldier), then I'll pin her against the wall for about ten seconds and I don't give a tinker's damn who's looking, nobody exists in the world except her anyway.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,945,242 times
This is interesting...

This morning I had a bowl of cereal in on hand and my other hand on my hip. The wife comes up and puts her arm in my arm and around me. After a minute she pulls her arm out half way and makes a look at me. I was like, "What?" So I took my hand off my hip to allow her to get her arm out. She then continues to tell me, "You could put your arm AROUND me." Then walks away.

Maybe someone can explain that to me. I always thought you hug someone cause you want to hug them. I didn't know you hug someone to get something in return.

Personally, I love getting hugs and giving them. I will not, however, be forced to do anything I wasn't expecting to do. If that makes sense. Like someone telling me to give them a hug.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,995,441 times
I do not see anything wrong with them. The only thing I suppose could be wrong are the women. They might believe that guys are not suppose to act that way, but whatever.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
This is interesting...

This morning I had a bowl of cereal in on hand and my other hand on my hip. The wife comes up and puts her arm in my arm and around me.
So how did you eat your cereal with no hands?

Quote:
After a minute she pulls her arm out half way and makes a look at me. I was like, "What?" So I took my hand off my hip to allow her to get her arm out. She then continues to tell me, "You could put your arm AROUND me." Then walks away.

Maybe someone can explain that to me. I always thought you hug someone cause you want to hug them. I didn't know you hug someone to get something in return.
When you hug someone, it's nice to be hugged back. It's the difference between these two situations:

A: I love you.
B: I love you too.

and

A: I love you.
B. Oh.

Quote:
Personally, I love getting hugs and giving them. I will not, however, be forced to do anything I wasn't expecting to do. If that makes sense. Like someone telling me to give them a hug.
A spouse should not have to force you to give up some affection. If I am having a bad day and need a hug, you better give me one.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,994 times
I don't like guys who aren't like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships