Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,966 times

Advertisements

where did you meet your significant other? And was it a case of sparks flying, or more similar to a slow flame that eventually got very hot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:53 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
We met doing a show. I was engaged to someone else at the time - so I wouldn't say that sparks flew immediately. I was going through a really hard time in my life (my father was dying) and it soon became evident that my fiancé didn't really know how to be there for me. We just weren't completely compatible. And it soon became evident that my (now) husband just "got" me. So - slow flame that eventually got very, very, very, very hot!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
She was over from Ireland visiting her Aunt that lived in my street. We were both 15 and I fancied her straight away. We became friends and the next summer when she came over I asked her out. The following summer she came back to go to an English University in my hometown (what a coincidence).

That was 25 yrs ago.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:15 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
We met at work--I was tending bar, he worked in the kitchen. I was instantly attracted to him and sparks flew. The rest all came in time.

Eight months later he got an opportunity to live and work in Spain and asked me to come along. I did, despite most people in my life telling me that was crazy, it was too soon, it would never last, etc. But it was the first of many adventures we've had together and I'm so glad I wasn't afraid to take that leap.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
We met online. She was an interesting person to exchange messages with but I wasn't really sure how well we would've gotten along. When we met in real life there was definitely chemistry but nothing that blew my mind. I left our first date without being head over heels, but still thinking that this could really be a life-changer. So I guess the flame really didn't get hot for a couple weeks, but I'd always known there would be something deeper worth exploring.

To this day that flame has been repeatedly tested by circumstances beyond our control. It doesn't burn as hot as it once did because we are still reeling from our situation, but it has never burned so bright. It will heat up again very very soon, I'm absolutely positive of that.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
We met at work. He was in research I was a writer. I was dating someone for 3 years, who I left, to be with him.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
We met at work--I was tending bar, he worked in the kitchen. I was instantly attracted to him and sparks flew. The rest all came in time.

Eight months later he got an opportunity to live and work in Spain and asked me to come along. I did, despite most people in my life telling me that was crazy, it was too soon, it would never last, etc. But it was the first of many adventures we've had together and I'm so glad I wasn't afraid to take that leap.
Where in Spain did you live? Love that country, prolly going back for a visit soon.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:41 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
We met in High School at the senior banquet. My best friend had just started dating his best friend and we met up with them there.

We went to school together all through high school but never crossed paths until our senior year. We had a large school and we were just never on the same side of the building.

The first time I lay eyes on him, I knew he was the one. Yup, there were definitely sparks...I HAD to know him. He was very shy and very quiet so it was hard to guage whether he was interested. The following morning my friend and I planned on going to the beach so she called her boyfriend to invite him. He asked if he could bring his friend (my husband) because he really wanted to see me again...so I guess he was interested.

Funny though, we dated over that summer and he told his friends he was going to dump me before he went away to college because he didn't want to be tied down (I didn't find this out until much later). I guess I was just that special....lol, because he never did dump me.

He left for school, I stayed home and we maintained a long distance relationship for 2yrs. I eventually transferred to a school about 30 minutes from his. We got engaged in our Junior year and were married the Nov. after graduation.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Slow flame, we met in 1998 through work, I was a shift manager and he delivered fuel to the truck stop I managed and he was married, I was not. Lost touch after he changed companies and I left the truck stop. Ran into each other at a little diner and stayed in touch on and off. His ex filed for divorce in 2003, kicked him and his dog out of the house and him and the dog moved into my basement, still just friends though and the basement thing was temporary. After about a year (give or take a few months) he moved upstairs, we became we, got married in 2006 and next month it will be our 6th anniversary.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Oh such sweet stories, what a breath of freash air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships