Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 PM

133 posts, read 297,027 times

Advertisements

I dated a woman this year for nearly two months, the longest I've ever dated someone. We had fantastic chemistry and values, physical attraction, and could talk for hours. I knew she was recently out of a 3-year relationship which stalled our intimacy, but she seemed to be letting go of this and things were picking up wonderfully. Then suddenly, things came into question with her uncertain if she's ready for a new relationship. I probably didn't handle this as well as I could have and soon she apologized and ended things. Our farewell conversation was very cheerful and nice, but over the next months depression really sunk in.

She was the best, most compatible woman I've ever met, and I still think of her obsessively. We share a pretty unique set of values. In the almost 5 months since, I've been dating and gotten nowhere. I have a strong urge to go talk to her in person, but I already called her in June and never heard back. Whether she stayed single, got back with her ex, or is with someone new I've no idea. Waves of sadness and depression hit me every day and I'm afraid of never finding someone right for me. I sometimes tear up, and I question who I am and where my life's headed.

I turn 26 soon and, then free from my parents' insurance, plan to see a therapist. I wanted to see if anyone here has any other advice on how to deal with my obsession with this woman. Would it make any sense to go talk to her one last time? Should I just go to therapy? God dammit, I really miss her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
I dated a woman this year for nearly two months, the longest I've ever dated someone. We had fantastic chemistry and values, physical attraction, and could talk for hours. I knew she was recently out of a 3-year relationship which stalled our intimacy, but she seemed to be letting go of this and things were picking up wonderfully. Then suddenly, things came into question with her uncertain if she's ready for a new relationship. I probably didn't handle this as well as I could have and soon she apologized and ended things. Our farewell conversation was very cheerful and nice, but over the next months depression really sunk in.

She was the best, most compatible woman I've ever met, and I still think of her obsessively. We share a pretty unique set of values. In the almost 5 months since, I've been dating and gotten nowhere. I have a strong urge to go talk to her in person, but I already called her in June and never heard back. Whether she stayed single, got back with her ex, or is with someone new I've no idea. Waves of sadness and depression hit me every day and I'm afraid of never finding someone right for me. I sometimes tear up, and I question who I am and where my life's headed.

I turn 26 soon and, then free from my parents' insurance, plan to see a therapist. I wanted to see if anyone here has any other advice on how to deal with my obsession with this woman. Would it make any sense to go talk to her one last time? Should I just go to therapy? God dammit, I really miss her.

Please, do NOT contact her. It will not work and she has already blown you off (not intentional, she saw your missed call and CHOSE not to return it).

Remember the saying 'time heals all wounds.' It will hold true here, although your coping skills aren't very good as evidenced by the fact that you're still this obsessed so long out. I'm not going to tell you not to consider therapy, but it's unlikely to help.

What are the chances you'll run into her around town? Seeing her could make things worse (out of sight out of mind), but don't make any adjustments to your schedule based on the likelihood of seeing her.

If she wants to get back with you (which she does not), she'll contact you (which she will not). I know it's tough, but stick to your guns and do NOT contact her under ANY circumstance. Do not tell any mutual friends to say Hi to her or send you a message/give you a call sometime. It's easier said than done, but go on with your daily life. GL!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Two months of dating and you need therapy? I'm sure she was a wonderful girl however, there is no human on this planet worth all the emotional anguish you seem to be putting yourself through. Do not contact her at all if she decides she want to continue things with you she will let you know. Until that happens if it does you need to focus on the rest of your life.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 PM

137 posts, read 192,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post

I'm in a similar situation: liked and dated a girl, things ended badly (she ended it). Only difference is that I'm still friends with her on FB (and I see that she is dating other guys) and she still responds to me when I message her (so I guess she hasn't totally closed the door yet).

The only thing you can really do is go out and meet other women. I'm currently doing that and, honestly, I still miss her, but it's definitely helping. Also, it's gotten me my confidence back.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Two months of dating and you need therapy? I'm sure she was a wonderful girl however, there is no human on this planet worth all the emotional anguish you seem to be putting yourself through.
My whole adult life has been without a real relationship. I've never been in love, and it's starting to break my spirit. I did go out with a fantastic girl in July and we were guaranteed to go out again, then immediately after asking about going out again, she suddenly dumped me for a friend-turned-boyfriend, which really broke me down even more. Chemistry doesn't even matter. It feels so damn hopeless.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Two months of dating and you need therapy? I'm sure she was a wonderful girl however, there is no human on this planet worth all the emotional anguish you seem to be putting yourself through. Do not contact her at all if she decides she want to continue things with you she will let you know. Until that happens if it does you need to focus on the rest of your life.
I agree with this, but if this was the longest relationship that the OP has had it is likely that he has confidence issues. There probably is more at work here than just the break up, and the OP could probably benefit greatly from therapy.

OP, I don't mean the above statement to demean you. Seeking therapy doesn't mean that you are lacking or less than anyone. It just means that you need to learn to deal with certain things in a better way. Since you seem to have adequate insurance coverage, you might try seeking out a counselor who specializes in relationship therapy.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I agree with this, but if this was the longest relationship that the OP has had it is likely that he has confidence issues. There probably is more at work here than just the break up, and the OP could probably benefit greatly from therapy.

OP, I don't mean the above statement to demean you. Seeking therapy doesn't mean that you are lacking or less than anyone. It just means that you need to learn to deal with certain things in a better way. Since you seem to have adequate insurance coverage, you might try seeking out a counselor who specializes in relationship therapy.

Good luck to you!
More confidence with women can be achieved by increasing interactions and experience with women than by talking about one's feelings to someone that may or may not be a successful dater. Wouldn't you think?

I don't think therapy will be very helpful.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,336,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2012 View Post
I'm in a similar situation: liked and dated a girl, things ended badly (she ended it). Only difference is that I'm still friends with her on FB (and I see that she is dating other guys) and she still responds to me when I message her (so I guess she hasn't totally closed the door yet).

The only thing you can really do is go out and meet other women. I'm currently doing that and, honestly, I still miss her, but it's definitely helping. Also, it's gotten me my confidence back.
The fact that she RESPONDS to messages YOU INITIATE means NOTHING. She's just being polite. How often does she message you unsolicited? Probably never. You know she's seeing other guys. You and her will not be getting back together, especially since it ended badly on her accord.

That said, you're wise to move onto others, bc that's what you need to do to find the right one and to regain confidence.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2012 View Post
More confidence with women can be achieved by increasing interactions and experience with women than talking about one's feelings to someone that may or may not also have dating issues. Wouldn't you think?

I don't think therapy will be very helpful.
The early dating stage confidence isn't an issue. I've dated many women and had fantastic dates. I can approach women and enthusiastically meet them. But it always falls apart in some messed up way, often beyond my control. The idea of a serious relationship feels so unrealistic to me because I've had that rare, fantastic chemistry yet had our dating situation die so easily.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The fact that she RESPONDS to messages YOU INITIATE means NOTHING. She's just being polite. How often does she message you unsolicited? Probably never. You know she's seeing other guys. You and her will not be getting back together, especially since it ended badly on her accord.

That said, you're wise to move onto others, bc that's what you need to do to find the right one and to regain confidence.
Really? Thanks bro. Because I definitely didn't say that I was already doing that

Next time, read the whole post before you decide to comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships