Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:56 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,155,128 times

Advertisements

What is it that makes her so compatible besides the similar values?

But you haven't seen her for three months now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,343,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
Well god damn, you'd question your self worth, too, if you'd never had a relationship at my age. And that doesn't mean I wear that on my sleeve with every person I'm with. Those bad feelings are a result of what happens because of rejection, not something that's built in beforehand. I can have a great time with a girl and have on many occasions. I don't constantly act insecure and anxious around people.

I don't live with my parents and have many hobbies and passions. None of that is causing problems with my dating life. Common passions are what get a dating relationship going to begin with, coupled with my wit and humor.
The fact that you've never been in a relationship at your age means just that and nothing else. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you, or that your less of a person than anyone else.

Two ways to boost confidence are to maximize your physical fitness/appearance and professional development. It's not about being vain (looking at yourself in the mirror, etc) or looking down on those who aren't as accomplished in terms of career, but improving in these areas will help your confidence (the same way that struggling in these areas will hurt it).

You're still getting dates here and there and, from what I recall, feel confident approaching women out and about (which is a skill many people lack, myself included). You've shown us that you're not slick with women but, if you take a step back and change some things (and improve in areas that you have control over), you're likely to see better results. Don't think of yourself as a loser b/c you haven't been in a relationship. You're certainly not a loser based on that fact alone. GL!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 AM

133 posts, read 297,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
What is it that makes her so compatible besides the similar values?
Our tastes, values, humor, and personality were all incredibly compatible. We could relate to one another on so many levels and had great fun just talking for hours. And in my experience, usually the fun girls with a lot of character also have questionable backgrounds, emotional issues or red flags. She had none of this, and I can honestly say that she had every quality I've been wanting to find in a woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
The fact that you've never been in a relationship at your age means just that and nothing else. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you, or that your less of a person than anyone else.

Two ways to boost confidence are to maximize your physical fitness/appearance and professional development. It's not about being vain (looking at yourself in the mirror, etc) or looking down on those who aren't as accomplished in terms of career, but improving in these areas will help your confidence (the same way that struggling in these areas will hurt it).
Thank you. I think you've made some of the most sensible, intelligent posts on here. I am trying to get deeper into my hobbies and teach myself new things. It just pisses me off because my brother says he wants to work with me on stuff and never does. So I'm always off to go do stuff on my own. Loneliness doesn't help this type of pain.

Maybe part of the reason I feel compelled to talk to this girl again is because she's not very forward, so even if she did have any urge to talk again when the time's right, I'd probably have to initiate. She told me how after her breakup, she had no friends in town and was so lonely that she considered getting back in touch with her previous boyfriend of three years prior, but quickly realized that would be wrong. She said she really overthinks things, and she obviously does have uncertainty in her actions. I was thinking of emailing her something I know she'd like that I never got around to sending when we were dating, or just stopping by her place. But my brain's telling me there's a good chance it wouldn't do any good and maybe just make me look pitiful, which I guess I am at this point.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 AM

426 posts, read 559,542 times
You never stop loving someone until u love someone else... like yourself.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:28 AM

133 posts, read 297,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernRXMan View Post
You never stop loving someone until u love someone else... like yourself.
I masturbate a lot. Does that count?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,837,936 times
Might be good to talk to someone- I was haunted by the memory of my first love- my first live in relationship...It was on and off my mind for 30 years till she finally died- don't waste your time like I did..get some help if you can not shake of the curse.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,423,857 times
Therapy could really help. Seeking counseling doesn't mean that something is inherently wrong with you. If anything, people who are unaware of their own actions (psychopaths) who need therapy most rarely ever seek it. I think you're admirable to:

1.) Recognize your depression is affecting you
2.) Want to change something about your situation
3.) Aren't willing to play victim (especially by pandering to stupid PUA tactics)

Maturity comes with realizing that relationships are an intricate process, including the relationship you share with your own self and your past.

Sometimes people get so stuck on the past that they can't enjoy what they have today, and they dwell or they carry on that baggage and create their own self-fulfilling prophecies for future relationships to come that doom to fail, because they are not self-aware, and not conscious about their own intentions, motives, and insight.

So this is a positive step forward! Go for it! Besides, there are so many cool avenues to explore while your learning about your own self and your own reactions (especially to a loss of love). Good luck on your decision! Taking care of yourself is imperative and #1.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,837,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ace View Post
I masturbate a lot. Does that count?
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships