Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 02:32 PM

629 posts, read 1,233,750 times

Advertisements

The may seem sappy or weird but I had a random thought one day. When you're married and plan on living your life with your SO, you "usually" plan to be with that person til death do you part. This brought a thought on. When you're both old and spent years together and in love, does it bother you to think of which of you will die first? I feel either occurence would be extremely difficult. On one hand if they die first, you spend the rest of your life without them. On the other hand the thought of leaving your SO to live the rest of their life alone must be painful as well.

So while talking to my wife. We came up with the solution (a joke of course) that once we reach that ripe old age where the question is asked, we would fight to the death. We will get the kilngon battle weapons and fight to the death while the battle music plays. The children must love the winner and the dilemma would be over. So now when we talk about growing old together, we talk about the day we will fight to the death. I know weird for others to have a joke like this but it's our cup of tea.

Wow this was a pointless topic. I guess the question would be if anyone else ever wondered about the eventual outcome of a long time love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,376 times
Aww a happy marriage.

How cute.

I often say if I'd put a shovel through his head on our wedding night I'd be free by now, instead of still being stalked by the fat ******* 23 years later even though we've been divorced far longer than we were married.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
I hope I die first. Selfish of me to say.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,633 times
I think the battle to the death is cute. My friend and I have a competition (complete with rules) that the first to die loses. We want to keep each other around for awhile.

I never wondered about the outcome of my relationship with my husband. Women typically outlive men and he was 7.5 years older so I just always assumed he would die first. I just never in a million years would have guessed we would only be 34 and 41 when it happened. I know part of my hesitancy in entering another relationship is that I could go through that again at a young age. And then there's the flip side of I don't want to be the reason someone else goes through it either. But, at the same time, I am way too young (38) and have way too much love left to give to spend the next 40+ years alone. So while I'm not currently in a relationship, I do think about what would be the eventual outcome of one knowing full well there is only one way for a successful relationship to end.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,998 times
I suppose I never thought about it really.
I'm 10 years older than my fiancee, so by the law of averages I'd expect to go first, but I guess we never know

I do remember there was a couple near me, both in their 70's who crashed their car into a harbour and both died.

Initially it was thought to be a tragic accident, but it turned out one of them was terminally ill and it seemed they'd decided they wanted to go out together, because they didn't want to be apart.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I hope I die first. Selfish of me to say.
Isn't it weird when hoping you die first is considered selfish?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:45 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,066,507 times
As morbid as this discussion is, I think I'd be able to handle his death better than he could handle mine.

He is not a social person and he doesn't really go out of his way to keep in touch with his family. He's also very private and pretty quiet. I just pray if I go before him, it's after my kids are grown.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM

Here's a quick poem I wrote today for my wife that reminded me of this.

Stay my other half during our short time on this earth. We have lots of adventures to have and journeys to take. Stay by my side as I stay by yours. And when the day comes that we must fight to the death, the winner shall be the loser. For they must experience an existence incomplete for the remainder of their life.

Last edited by Kagami46; 09-18-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
As morbid as this discussion is, I think I'd be able to handle his death better than he could handle mine.
Had it been reversed, I think James would have gotten completely lost in WoW. Hopefully, he would have remembered to feed the dogs! I also think after 4.5 years, he'd have been in another relationship long before now, unlike me.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
The may seem sappy or weird but I had a random thought one day. When you're married and plan on living your life with your SO, you "usually" plan to be with that person til death do you part. This brought a thought on. When you're both old and spent years together and in love, does it bother you to think of which of you will die first? I feel either occurence would be extremely difficult. On one hand if they die first, you spend the rest of your life without them. On the other hand the thought of leaving your SO to live the rest of their life alone must be painful as well.

So while talking to my wife. We came up with the solution (a joke of course) that once we reach that ripe old age where the question is asked, we would fight to the death. We will get the kilngon battle weapons and fight to the death while the battle music plays. The children must love the winner and the dilemma would be over. So now when we talk about growing old together, we talk about the day we will fight to the death. I know weird for others to have a joke like this but it's our cup of tea.

Wow this was a pointless topic. I guess the question would be if anyone else ever wondered about the eventual outcome of a long time love.
Statistically, I know I am likely to be left behind

Maybe we'll be lucky enough to go together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships