Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post
No hiding, but more than happy to dismiss you from my life when you choose to ignorantly judge someone I love--or anyone for that fact-- based on the color of their skin
^This.

If my father was still alive, I'd probably have to take that approach with him. He hated it when my black mother ended up relationships with white men. I doubt he'd accepted it if I brought a white lady to meet him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Mostly everyone who is "white" is pretty "generic" white mix unless their parents are immigrants in the past 2 generations or so or Jewish. Otherwise no one knows.

I know what bugs me though when people ask me what country my black roots are from. I want to respond with something evil, but I usually say, we are still trying to trace things past the civil war.
What is generic white?

But to answer the ops question, yes I have.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:37 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
First, if its secret, its not a relationship. Period on that. Secondly, I've dated, & married a Hispanic, and almost married an African American woman, we dated for a year, and things happened, not related to race at all.
If you have a relationship, then that person is more important than anyone else in your life, so if you have to keep it a secret from anyone else, then you are not in a relationship, you hook up, have a booty call, and walk on seperate sides of the street when you walk thru town.

IF YOU HAVE TO HIDE IT FROM ANYONE ELSE IN YOUR LIFE, YOU ARE CHOOSING THAT PERSON OVER THE PERSON YOU ALLEGEDLY SAY YOU LOVE!!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
No, but I think my parents would disapprove if I dated a black woman. A few years ago I was very interested in a lovely young woman from my school and my mother got a look on her face that I didn't care for one bit when I said her name was Tamika.

The sad thing is my mother didn't use to be like this, she's gotten very racist since divorcing my father and being with her fiancee. We got into an argument once over her use of a disgusting term for blacks that I had never heard before her fiancee, and later her, started using it. I told them both I thought the word was crude and disgusting and that if they ever used it around me again it would be the last time I ever came into their home again. They haven't used it since.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Default No.

Relationships with a woman of another race were never a secret for me. I don't care what other peoples hangups are about that, Or what they would have to say about it. Esp being of mixed race myself.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
No, but I think my parents would disapprove if I dated a black woman. A few years ago I was very interested in a lovely young woman from my school and my mother got a look on her face that I didn't care for one bit when I said her name was Tamika.

The sad thing is my mother didn't use to be like this, she's gotten very racist since divorcing my father and being with her fiancee. We got into an argument once over her use of a disgusting term for blacks that I had never heard before her fiancee, and later her, started using it. I told them both I thought the word was crude and disgusting and that if they ever used it around me again it would be the last time I ever came into their home again. They haven't used it since.
Why did you care what your mother thought? why didn't you keep talking to her?
this is the reason why black women don't date outside their race for this very reason. alot of white men are discouraged by their mothers from dating black women

Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
this is the reason why black women don't date outside their race for this very reason. alot of white men are discouraged by their mothers from dating black women
Slow down, you assume too much.

I didn't give a toss what mom thought. Tamika was the one that wasn't interested in dating, and not because of racial differences, she didn't feel she was in a place in her life to start a relationship. I respected her choice.

And for your information, she and I still talk all the time. She lives in VA still and I'm in AK. We mutually agreed to remain friends.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
While I wouldn't approve of an adult allowing family/friends to influence their dating decisions, I could certainly understand why someone wouldn't want to risk getting disowned if they could be just as happy with someone from their own race. My parents don't care at all that I date interracially, so I don't have to worry about upsetting them but not everyone can say the same.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Why are Americans so obsessed with race ?

Is it because it's a taboo subject and you feel a little naughty talking about it ?

Are all these race threads some sort of fetishistic leaning ?

This is 2012, for God's sake !
Why in the Hell would anybody in this day and age care what race somebody was ?

Didn't we figure out some time ago that everyone's built pretty much the same underneath ?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
What is generic white?

But to answer the ops question, yes I have.
The typical mix in the US: Irish/Scott/German/English in unknown proportions.
Usually if people know they are Swedish/Norwegian/Polish/Finnish/Italian/Russian it denotes more recent immigration. If someone has been here for a while, then they are usually some combo of English/something else.

The English ancestry tends to be pretty far back, so there are no recent discernible connection to Europe or any fairly close relatives. Basically "American"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships