Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM

25 posts, read 21,156 times

Advertisements

I am recently retired from teaching. I am married but my relationship is very empty. My hubby is a good man but I'm not feeling it anymore after 28 years. We have tried counselling but nothing has changed.
We don't argue, fight, or discuss problems . That's not my doing, but he avoids confrontation so I just go along. We do not have an intimate physical relationship and it has been years since we have. I'm not interested in one either, but I think it speaks volumes about the rest of our relationship.
Here's my concern. I thought I could get by just staying in the marriage and doing my own thing.(but not getting involved with anyone else). I was wrong. I don't have the social network to go out on my own and start a life. ( I'm 58.) But I sometimes dream about a better life. Is it too late? Is it foolish to cut my finances in half if I do go for it? These are questions that plague me.
Also, my husband is really a good man. I just don't love him the way I should. In fact, I don't really know him. I'm getting more depressed each day. I just don't know if leaving would be worse than staying.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,175 times
Do you know the cause of this misery?

Old 09-30-2012, 06:38 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,590 times
I really don't have any answers, however, I believe that when it's over, it's over. There are no dress rehersals in life, this is it, so, if you are unhappy, it might be in your best interest to move forward on your own.

My husband died 6 years ago (after a looooong illness), I live alone with my dogs, I am the happy and at peace. I downsized and live in a small house that fits me just perfectly!

Sometimes in life we need to reinvent ourselves, I did and have no regrets.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:39 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,042 times
No suggestions here. It's an interesting problem, though. Will keep this page bookmarked to read other responses.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
A person should only leave if they think they'd be happier ALONE without their spouse. One should never leave with the hope/intention of finding someone else/ better. That is never guaranteed.

At least your husband is not intolerable (i.e. he's a good guy and you're not fighting).

Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited View Post
I am recently retired from teaching. I am married but my relationship is very empty. My hubby is a good man but I'm not feeling it anymore after 28 years. We have tried counselling but nothing has changed.
We don't argue, fight, or discuss problems . That's not my doing, but he avoids confrontation so I just go along. We do not have an intimate physical relationship and it has been years since we have. I'm not interested in one either, but I think it speaks volumes about the rest of our relationship.
Here's my concern. I thought I could get by just staying in the marriage and doing my own thing.(but not getting involved with anyone else). I was wrong. I don't have the social network to go out on my own and start a life. ( I'm 58.) But I sometimes dream about a better life. Is it too late? Is it foolish to cut my finances in half if I do go for it? These are questions that plague me.
Also, my husband is really a good man. I just don't love him the way I should. In fact, I don't really know him. I'm getting more depressed each day. I just don't know if leaving would be worse than staying.
What you are experiencing is not so uncommon, and you can turn things around if you both decide to do the work.

Start by getting Dr. Gary Chapman's book, "The Five Love Languages".

Don't walk away until you've tried this first!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
What you are experiencing is not so uncommon, and you can turn things around if you both decide to do the work.

Start by getting Dr. Gary Chapman's book, "The Five Love Languages".

Don't walk away until you've tried this first!
I haven't read the book but I'm familiar with the 5 love languages and I agree that it would be super helpful to learn your own order of love languages and your spouses!

Old 09-30-2012, 07:06 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,556 times
I really feel for you, for the sounds of it the marriage has been a success but now it's over.

It happens.

What you should be asking yourself is, do you have the desire to spend the rest of your life "just miserable"?

If you look at it that way, it's a no-brainer.

Who says your husband doesn't deserve something better than you can offer him? Fair enough to decide to stay put for selfish reasons, but who are you really serving? Him? No. Yourself? No.

You say you're 58, is that too old, well I say you may have another 40 years left so do you want to spend them the same way you've spent the last 40, or do you think you deserve a chance at freedom and happiness and love? 58 is the new 40.

The kids are grown up and gone (if you had any), now you two are just "really excellent roommates". It's enough for some people but like it or not, you do not appear to be one of them.

At least treat yourself to a holiday alone, a complete break away from your routine. You will know when the holiday is over what your choice should be. If you are glad to be going home go him, then stay. If you dread returning home to him, then start about planning your new (happy, single, satisfying) life.

Re money - meh. It's a high price to pay to stay miserable. I'd much rather be broke and free than be a bird in a gilded cage.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:36 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited View Post
Well spirited, it sounds like my life when I read your post. I am 59 and was in a marriage just like yours. We were married 24 years, and I probably no longer loved him for several years before I finally left him. We also had no sex lives for years. I was miserable, depressed, quite unhappy. I thought constantly about my life and how unhappy I was, and cried daily about it. I felt very trapped. After a lot of thought I realized that the worse thing that could happen to me would be staying in this relationship and then dying and having never known what it would be like to be on my own, away from him, living my own life and doing what I wanted. That spurred me on to getting myself out of there. I got a P.O. Box, put my name on lists for low-income apts., got a safety deposit box to put things in that were mine, and told my ex that as soon as an apt. became available the kids and myself were leaving. You have to decide whether staying and being miserable and not wanting to hurt your husband is what you want, or getting out on your own, living your life on your own terms, and finding your happiness again.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,881 times
Ok.

First and foremost - you must realize that your happiness depends on no one else but yourself.

If you are depressed and using your husband as the excuse to be unhappy, it is NOT his responsibility to make you happy.

If you are using the state of your relationship as your excuse to think negative thoughts and be unhappy, then it is not your relationship's fault but the thoughts that you are thinking ABOUT the relationship.

Every stick has two ends - positive and negative.... And I know that your relationship has positive things about it that you could be focusing on instead.

Focus on those good things about your relationship. Remember the happy moments with your husband and how you felt when you first married him. Remember the love.

Appreciate the good things he has going for him now. (I'M SURE they are there. You just have to look for them.)

And as you appreciate and direct your focus to positive things, your relationship will CHANGE before your eyes to SUIT your perspective.

Change your perspective.

Take off those glasses and try on a new pair.

You're going to be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships