Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 AM

496 posts, read 941,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
So what are some good comebacks to women full of themselves like that?
Wanna be nice or snarky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,648 times
I think there are times when girl's flirt "troll" on purchase just to see if the guy takes the "bait."

Then they can say "UGH!!! I was just doing my job! What a CREEPER!"

There's a difference between:

"Did you find everything alright Sir? Bye have a nice day"

and..

"Byeeeeee, have a nice dayyyyyy!"

Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I think there are times when girl's flirt "troll" on purchase just to see if the guy takes the "bait."

Then they can say "UGH!!! I was just doing my job! What a CREEPER!"

There's a difference between:

"Did you find everything alright Sir? Bye have a nice day"

and..

"Byeeeeee, have a nice dayyyyyy!"
I guarantee you that has happened to me more than once. Especially with waiters and waitresses attempting to get a little extra on the tips. But I can't knock the hustle.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I think it's even simpler than that. Good-looking women are so used to men hitting on them so they assume all men want them and are flirting, even when the man isn't doing that at all.
I think theyre right for the most part. When I'm single, I generally try to get with every attractive woman I talk to. When I was younger and more inexperienced, I used to hide it. Now, I just throw all the cards on the table and if they're down, awesome. If not, that's fine too.

EDIT: "get with" doesn't necessarily mean just have sex with. Get with could be ltr depending on the girl.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM

210 posts, read 1,170,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We've become so socially stifled that any attempt at friendliness is interpreted as making a pass.
Yes. As a result, society has devolved to unfriendliness, social awkwardness, and increasing loneliness.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM

221 posts, read 282,980 times
Unfortunately, you can't win. Try and be too friendly they think you're hitting on them, or conversely, they take a "shining" to you, or they complain you're talking too much to be doing your job properly. Try only limiting it to "Can I help you?", answering questions about the transaction, but otherwise ignoring the chatter and the joking on the part of the customer, you're "rude" or "a robot".

I've just taken the stern, no nonsense, matter of fact road. Those in the public who have a problem with that, well, so be it. I'm not there to flirt, stroke egos, be a therapist or a stranger's best friend, nor to be their punching bag.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot Point View Post
This woman is a boor. She assumes a lot. Even if she thought you were interested (and she wasn't), someone with good manners would at least give the other person a chance to voice their interest. Sheesh! How arrogant.

A good response to her comment would have been, "What makes you think I was going to?" And then let her have it about her her haughty assumption.
I agree with this. People sometimes misunderstand an upbeat demeanor for flirting. Most people aren't that rude about it, though; they keep their thoughts to themselves.

Has this happened to you with more than one customer, OP? If so, I'd discuss it with your manager ("hey, I've gotten a couple of weird responses from customers, just from greeting them (as the job requires), and making harmless chit-chat"), so he knows, and might be able to advise you, or could tell you not to worry about it. The reason I suggest this is on the off-off chance that someone like that woman might complain in the future that you were coming onto her. As you probably know, conversations of a personal nature, and using the customers as one's potential dating pool aren't allowed. So you wouldn't want to get caught off-guard by someone like that over-reacting customer, who might decide you were behaving inappropriately. If your super knows she was the problem, if she were to return later, decide you have some fixation with her just because you say "may I help you", or something, and complains, your rear is already covered.

Stuff happens in retail. Sometimes customers lodge unwarranted complaints. Sometimes cashiers or salespeople do come on to customers, sometimes inappropriately or more than once. It's a mixed bag. I say, let your super know, and give him a chance to give you some pointers, or to just pat you on the back and say, "it takes all kinds. Just make sure you follow the basic rules", or whatever.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:45 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have seen men do this too. It is not a gender exclusive thing by any means.
So true, even on the boards. I'm thinking of stop giving some guys postive reps with compliments, seems some take it wrong. I am in no frekking way flirting with anyone that I leave a rep to, have to say it, getta or is gettur straight. Most here could be my darn child. age wise many emotionally/mentally as well.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:56 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybirdX View Post
I guarantee you that has happened to me more than once. Especially with waiters and waitresses attempting to get a little extra on the tips. But I can't knock the hustle.
Oh, is THAT what that's about? Some of the waiters in my town get a little too personal, and I didn't know how to take it. But other service personnel do the same, this is a weird town.
They don't have to flirt to get a tip. The key to a good tip is to give the customer an after-dinner mint or a little candy or something, when you bring the bill. This is FOOLPROOF. And it maintains professional boundaries, so there's no ambiguity problems.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, is THAT what that's about? Some of the waiters in my town get a little too personal, and I didn't know how to take it. But other service personnel do the same, this is a weird town.
They don't have to flirt to get a tip. The key to a good tip is to give the customer an after-dinner mint or a little candy or something, when you bring the bill. This is FOOLPROOF. And it maintains professional boundaries, so there's no ambiguity problems.
Well the good know how to balance the flirty with the professional. Also it depends on location and the atmosphere of the place your at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships