Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM

220 posts, read 475,517 times

Advertisements

If you're single, over 35 and child free, and not planing to have any is it harder for you to find a mate especially if you don't want to become involved with anyone with children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
If you're single, over 35 and child free, and not planing to have any is it harder for you to find a mate especially if you don't want to become involved with anyone with children?
Yeah, there are a lot of women with kids, that's for sure, and I'm not a kid person.

There are also some single women without kids in that demographic, who either don't want kids or are panicking to have kids. I haven't met many I liked and I avoid the latter. Many of the exchanges went like this. I joined up a religiously affiliated on-line dating service. I got an inquiry from this woman with a Columbia MBA. My messages were more detailed and well-constructed than hers. And I'm not saying that to pat myself on the back, since I probably couldn't have gotten in to Columbia. What I am saying is how terse and business-like she was. Her messaging style matched her picture. What a friggin' turn-off.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
I have dated women with children. Though I probably don't want kids of my own, a potential mate with 1 child would be OK. Any more is a little rough.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:47 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I'm kind of agenda-less, so that's why I'm single and child-free at 36, I think. My friends who are married parents really really wanted to be married parents. They were aiming for those goals. I'm more of an "in the moment" type of person, I've realized. I always thought I wanted to be a wife and mother growing up, but it was pretty much just me reflecting societal expectations (and my mother's fervent desire to be a grandmother). A while back I realized that while I said I wanted kids and a marriage, when I envisioned my future, those dreams always featured me, happy as a clam in a house with no one but my dogs and my books.

Now I'm not saying I'd never have kids. I like them, get along well with them and have mentored a few over the course of my life. I may adopt if I'm still childless in a decade and feeling an urge to parent. But as a woman of 36, I'm not having problems because I'm not freaking out over my rapidly expiring ovaries. Most of the guys I date either don't want kids at all and don't have them or have already had their kids and are content not to have any. I tend to avoid guys who have "I really want to have a family" in their online profile and list their age as over 40. I just don't feel the urgency that dating such a guy would require

And now that Princess Bubbles (my mother) has a Pomeranian to keep her entertained, I don't have to field the grandchild requests nearly as often

Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I don't have to field the grandchild requests nearly as often
Not referring to your mother, but people are really intrusive, in this order of intrusiveness:
- if not married, why aren't you married...
- if without children, why don't you have children...
- if you split up with a SO, why did you split up...

I wouldn't even pry on this stuff with close friends, but obnoxious people who lack boundaries ask these questions without giving it a thought.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Being over 35 and not having, or wanting, children has not made a noticeable dent in the size of my dating pool; however, if I were to refuse to get involved with women who had children, my dating pool would probably dry up completely. Statistically, most women over 35 have children. Cut them out of your potential dating pool, and you're cutting out a the majority of women in that age range. Plus, men over 35 who refuse to date women with children tend to come across as immature and unrealistic (which they often are).

Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I'm not quite 35 yet, but not having children has not hurt me in the dating world. If anything, it has made me a hot commodity with the kind of men I like.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Being over 35 and not having, or wanting, children has not made a noticeable dent in the size of my dating pool; however, if I were to refuse to get involved with women who had children, my dating pool would probably dry up completely. Statistically, most women over 35 have children. Cut them out of your potential dating pool, and you're cutting out a the majority of women in that age range. Plus, men over 35 who refuse to date women with children tend to come across as immature and unrealistic (which they often are).
You had a pretty good post until the part in bold. No need to "knock" guys that don't want women with children. Just because YOU DO doesn't make you any more of a man than those that don't. People like what they like, no harm in that is there?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Statistically, most women over 35 have children. Cut them out of your potential dating pool, and you're cutting out a the majority of women in that age range. Plus, men over 35 who refuse to date women with children tend to come across as immature and unrealistic (which they often are).
Please elaborate on the bold. True about probability, but I've also seen guys hold out and end up with a woman who didn't have any kids. It just takes way more work. I don't think that wanting to start on an equal footing is either immature or unrealistic.

Let me add how douchy this one woman was. She was a little over 35, had never had kids, I am almost certain that she could not, for medical reasons. On a date, she asked about my dating scenarios. I told her I wouldn't date a woman with kids. She got upset, saying "Reaaalllllyyyyy?" Turns out her younger sister was a divorcee with 2 kids, leaving some USC frat boy with whom she had purchased a home in Orange County. Evidently, the empathy for her sister conflicted with my expressing what I really thought, and which was in no way a slight on her.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,482,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
You had a pretty good post until the part in bold. No need to "knock" guys that don't want women with children. Just because YOU DO doesn't make you any more of a man than those that don't. People like what they like, no harm in that is there?
I wasn't knocking; it's true. Ask men over 35 who refuse to date women with children. 9 times out of 10, their answers are identical to those given by 21 year olds--i.e. they don't want to compete with children for attention, they don't want to miss nights out because of babysitting issues, the don't want "drama," etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships