Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times

Advertisements

A good work ethic is important to me. I want to date someone who loves their work and tries to be the best at it no matter what it is. I have to admit I lean toward dating people with professional careers because they are more likely to feel this way, but I've known people who work at a local pet supply store who are very dedicated and professional. It all depends.

Certain professions do tend to turn me off, like real estate sales or most commission based positions, because I find they tend to attract really high pressure, competitive, and fairly self-centered people, but again that is a generalization.

Stereo types exist because they hold true more often than not, so in general, you won't see me dating a real estate broker, but I know of one man in this profession (who is much older and married so not a candidate) who I really respect and admire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,510 times
The following would give me pause. I doubt I'd reject women in most of these professions immediately, but I'd definitely proceed with caution until I got to know her better.

- Anyone in a political profession. Doesn't matter if she's liberal, conservative, moderate, fascist, or any other ideology. There is a lot of corruption in that field, and I prefer to keep U.S. politics at arms length.
- Law enforcement...police more so than FBI, etc.
- Military
- Strippers, unless its just a temporary thing to help put herself thru college or something.
- Nun
- Hitwoman
- Post office worker. Seems like 75% of them give off an unfriendly, angry vibe.
- Any profession that requires long hours (60+ per week) or "odd" hours (e.g. graveyard shifts) or being on-call 24/7 or extensive business travel. Occasional crunch time is fine. Work/life balance is important. If the job is only a temporary thing than that's ok.
- Any job where commission is a major part of the compensation package.
- Drug dealer. This one would be a deal breaker.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:47 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
A buddy of mine is a mortician. He can't seem to find a girlfriend. His profession is considered to be very creepy. At least, he makes very good money.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
The following would give me pause. I doubt I'd reject women in most of these professions immediately, but I'd definitely proceed with caution until I got to know her better.

- Anyone in a political profession. Doesn't matter if she's liberal, conservative, moderate, fascist, or any other ideology. There is a lot of corruption in that field, and I prefer to keep U.S. politics at arms length.
- Law enforcement...police more so than FBI, etc.
- Military
- Strippers, unless its just a temporary thing to help put herself thru college or something.
- Nun
- Hitwoman
- Post office worker. Seems like 75% of them give off an unfriendly, angry vibe.
- Any profession that requires long hours (60+ per week) or "odd" hours (e.g. graveyard shifts) or being on-call 24/7 or extensive business travel. Occasional crunch time is fine. Work/life balance is important. If the job is only a temporary thing than that's ok.
- Any job where commission is a major part of the compensation package.
- Drug dealer. This one would be a deal breaker.
Rep! I like all of yours but I would give a former nun a shot. How interesting would she be

Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
If I were to be single again, I'd avoid the 'power tripping' professions such as police or military. I never was attracted to those types. Other than that, I would avoid those who have jobs or careers they are 'married' to. If a woman had a job that required long hours, I'm out. I work to live, not live to work and free time, recreation, and living life is a top priority to me. There's a whole world out there to explore together and being a workaholic makes that extremely difficult.
I agree, it's no fun dating someone who is married to her job. I dated someone like that for a very short time. Not worth it at all.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:03 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't date butchers, defense contractors, dentists or republicans.
what's wrong with defense contractors?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:05 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
what's wrong with defense contractors?
Cause working for them sucks...... big time....

Old 10-20-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Cause working for them sucks...... big time....
Why? or to tie it back to the OP, why about a defense contractor's job would turn you off?...mind you there are accountants, lawyers, and direct action folk that all work for defense contractors.

I would not date a doctor that works for an insurance company.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:15 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Why? or to tie it back to the OP, why about a defense contractor's job would turn you off?...mind you there are accountants, lawyers, and direct action folk that all work for defense contractors.

I would not date a doctor that works for an insurance company.
I should bow out.. to answer this question would derail the thread too much......

Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I should bow out.. to answer this question would derail the thread too much......

just focus on the qualities or character; it can be relevant.

i would not date a doctor who works for an insurance company because they have renounced their Hippocratic oath and no longer wish to heal but to hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships