Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 PM

244 posts, read 707,123 times

Advertisements

I wrote about this from before in a similiar forum a few months ago, when my some of my friends and family thought I could be a closested homosexual due to the fact I don't talk to a lot of women.

I wanted to ask this question, do you find it odd or weird if a guy doesn't talk to a lot of women? In terms of friendships, I do have a lot of female companions and a close friend who happens to be a girl. Normally when I go out, I'll call, text, or post on my friend's wall if he wants to hang somewhere or tag a few people in my comment on my own wall.

As far as relationships go, I've never had a girlfriend, I've had some chances, however, I rarely go through with it or I ended up being rejected. Now i have no issues with dealing with rejection, rejection is a part of life (Jobs, Women, etc) it helps you grow stronger. However, I do feel like one of the main reasons I don't converse or talk to a lot of women is due in part of my past which has always been plagued by some form of drama (see past forums I posted dealing with this if ya want). In term, I think I started becoming nervous or a natural distrust with some women ( not all of them, it's unfair to do that towards anyone or anything). I'm no sexist, but I've kept friendships with mostly my guy friends longer than women. I have had issues with them in the past, ( got into a fist fight with one of my friends, however a few hours later we made up and spent the rest of the afternoon playing games).

I wasn't always like this because my mom felt it was weird I talked to a lot of girls from before, however, nowadays, she feels I might be "gay" due in part I rarely talk to girls, or bring a girl home to meet her.

It has nothing to do with my career or educational focuses either (I'm unsure what to do in terms of careers and I still am to this day despite being in college for four years). I'm also a bit of a lazy head when it comes to school, I'm in no regards stupid, as most of my grades are B's but in terms of doing my best I can do it, I'm just lazy in that regard because I dont have a goal to drive me to do so. I'm a late bloomer perhaps.

Sorry if this post is long, but I wanted to ask some people, would you find a guy weird if he didn't talk to a lot of women? Especially a young adult male?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:06 PM

14 posts, read 58,422 times
If he's totally ugly...nah I wouldn't think he was weird at all. However, if he's at least average/decent looking I'd think he was possibly gay or in the closet.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
I don't know if that's normal or not, but if you're in college, even if you're not living on campus, unless it's a male-only school, you're never going to be around that many good looking, often single, members of the opposite sex, your own age again. You might want to talk to more of them, even if only to enhance your skills with the opposite sex. I can't think of any downside to talking to more women right now, unless you're overloaded with work (and it doesn't sound like you are...because you said you're lazy)

The above is if you're strait only of course....If you're questioning your orientation...refer to Billy_J below.

Last edited by Clintone; 10-14-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 12:31 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
Gay means you get turned on by looking at men.

Straight means you get turned on by looking at women.

If you are straight and someone asks you if you are gay, say "No I am straight!"

That is all there is to it. If they will not take you for your word, then that is THEIR problem.

And if you are gay, then say...

"Yes I am gay!"
or...
"That is none of your business!"
or...
"I am straight!" (If you want to keep it a secret.)
or...
[If a guy asking] "Why, are interested in fooling around?"

So far as if you actively date women or not, that has NOTHING to do with if you are straight or gay. I know several divorced men who choose to no longer date women (or for now), they are still straight. (Duh!) And I know plenty of older men who do not date (they are more into laxatives and taking their heart medicine), but they are still straight!

Don't worry about what other people think!

Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 PM

88 posts, read 142,229 times
Hey! You must be the little voices in my head because I am exactly like you! :P
The only difference between you and me in this situation is that you actually have real friends. mine are all imaginary lol

But seriously...
what is strange in some cultures is normal in others. In the many modern western societies, having friends of the opposite sex is the norm. You are just outside the societially acceptable norm, that's all. I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:39 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Yes weird.

Your mom thinks you're gay? Poor you. Unless you are. Then she's right.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
It depends on how old he is.

If he's over 18 yo, then yes (unless he's gay).

But you said you do talk to girls because you have a lot of female companions and close friend. I assume you talk to them?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
I'm sorry, Redhead, but this thread is sort of thematic. I was expecting something different.

Some men don't talk to women because they are shy and some don't talk to them because they don't like them. I'm also sure there are other variations on this situation.

One such variation is a married couple near where my parents live. The wife is a chatterbox and he is quieter. Another lady in the neighborhood, an immigrant from Germany, says he just mumbles to her. I said "He talks to me." The reality is that we talk about cars, planes, finance, home repairs, real estate, and neighborhood changes, so he talks to me more so than he would to the senior citizen lady from Germany. I doubt he wants to talk about recipes and gardening. Maybe it's also a relief from talking to his wife, who is a constant nag and talks endlessly about Catholicism and how Republican candidates are the ones doing God's work.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I wrote about this from before in a similiar forum a few months ago, when my some of my friends and family thought I could be a closested homosexual due to the fact I don't talk to a lot of women.

I wanted to ask this question, do you find it odd or weird if a guy doesn't talk to a lot of women? In terms of friendships, I do have a lot of female companions and a close friend who happens to be a girl. Normally when I go out, I'll call, text, or post on my friend's wall if he wants to hang somewhere or tag a few people in my comment on my own wall.

As far as relationships go, I've never had a girlfriend, I've had some chances, however, I rarely go through with it or I ended up being rejected. Now i have no issues with dealing with rejection, rejection is a part of life (Jobs, Women, etc) it helps you grow stronger. However, I do feel like one of the main reasons I don't converse or talk to a lot of women is due in part of my past which has always been plagued by some form of drama (see past forums I posted dealing with this if ya want). In term, I think I started becoming nervous or a natural distrust with some women ( not all of them, it's unfair to do that towards anyone or anything). I'm no sexist, but I've kept friendships with mostly my guy friends longer than women. I have had issues with them in the past, ( got into a fist fight with one of my friends, however a few hours later we made up and spent the rest of the afternoon playing games).

I wasn't always like this because my mom felt it was weird I talked to a lot of girls from before, however, nowadays, she feels I might be "gay" due in part I rarely talk to girls, or bring a girl home to meet her.

It has nothing to do with my career or educational focuses either (I'm unsure what to do in terms of careers and I still am to this day despite being in college for four years). I'm also a bit of a lazy head when it comes to school, I'm in no regards stupid, as most of my grades are B's but in terms of doing my best I can do it, I'm just lazy in that regard because I dont have a goal to drive me to do so. I'm a late bloomer perhaps.

Sorry if this post is long, but I wanted to ask some people, would you find a guy weird if he didn't talk to a lot of women? Especially a young adult male?
I don't find you weird. If it makes you uncomfortable with women then start talk to them. If not then don't worry about though it sucks that your mom thinks your gay because it though a lot of people have that mind set.

Overall just do thing on your terms and don't think about it too much.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:46 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
Default Would you find a guy weird if he doesn't talk to women?

If he doesn't talk to women at all under any circumstances, "Yes".

If rarely, then "No".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships