Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:38 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,974 times

Advertisements

There is a guy I really like at work who has just started seeing someone new. Of course I'm bummed about this because I would like him to ask me out, but now I have knowledge I wish I didn't. She just became his facebook friend and, nosy person that I am, I checked the state court website to see what she has in her past. She is still in the process of getting divorced and someone other than her soon to be ex had a restraining order placed on her as of 10/8/201. She looks a little psychotic in her facebook profile picture and given this information I'm worried for my friend. Of course I can't say anything about this to him, how would I explain the fact that I basically did a background check on his new love interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 03:52 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,563 times
Dont. How do you know he doesnt already know, but just isnt sharing his ( and her, mainly ) personal business with you??

Look, you like him, and he likes someone else. Get over it, because what you are doing is catty and reeks of jealousy.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:57 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,421,109 times
That's.....a pretty strange, psychotic little thing you did yourself.

Don't 'cha think?

Maybe just a little?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,178,163 times
Aside from the fact that you, yourself, could have a restraining order taken out on you for invading his privacy like that, there are thousands of ridiculous retraining orders out there and you have NO idea why it was done.

I knew a couple where the guy wouldn't return her phone calls because he didn't want to go through the whole break up thing or talk it out. Fed up she packed up his crap and tossed it all on his front porch and was done with him. She never threatened anyone, she never contacted him again and didn't break anything. Next thing you know he takes a restraining order out on her - why? To get the last word in. So, be careful making assumptions.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Aside from the fact that you, yourself, could have a restraining order taken out on you for invading his privacy like that, there are thousands of ridiculous retraining orders out there and you have NO idea why it was done.

I knew a couple where the guy wouldn't return her phone calls because he didn't want to go through the whole break up thing or talk it out. Fed up she packed up his crap and tossed it all on his front porch and was done with him. She never threatened anyone, she never contacted him again and didn't break anything. Next thing you know he takes a restraining order out on her - why? To get the last word in. So, be careful making assumptions.

The highlighted is very true, unfortunately. Not to say disregard something like a restraining order (epescially if a person has a few from different people..lol). But, some times you get people who get restraining orders just because they had a bad argument with someone, or to get back at them. U need to dig a little deeper sometimes.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Print it off and leave it anonymously for him to find. Whether you liked him or not a friend should tell. Legally restraining orders are not easy to get, it requires actions by the party charged that are harassing or threatening or both. People like to think they are nothing, but it isn't true. And, felony charges can follow a restraining order if it is ignored...A public record is a public record...not a biggie that you found it.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:16 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,958 times
America can be a very lawsuit and restraining order happy place, everyone's very quick to pull the trigger, so I would be careful assuming it was because she was really psychotic or whether it was simply a misunderstanding or minor mistake. Now, if you come across some information that is really troubling, like she murdered a dog once or she slurps when she eats soup, then you should inform him.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
A guy broke into my apartment years ago, and left piles of excrement in my bedroom. This was after literally tailing my car for two weeks. I filed a restraining order against him He retaliated by filing one on me, but I didnt care. Just wanted him to stay the F away from me. Do a search on me in the right county and it will come up.

I think you are a bit of Lunatic to do this reasearch on someone who is none of your business in the.first place.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
There is a guy I really like at work who has just started seeing someone new. Of course I'm bummed about this because I would like him to ask me out, but now I have knowledge I wish I didn't. She just became his facebook friend and, nosy person that I am, I checked the state court website to see what she has in her past. She is still in the process of getting divorced and someone other than her soon to be ex had a restraining order placed on her as of 10/8/201. She looks a little psychotic in her facebook profile picture and given this information I'm worried for my friend. Of course I can't say anything about this to him, how would I explain the fact that I basically did a background check on his new love interest?
You shouldn't be involved in this. He is a big boy and can make his own observations. Do you realize anyone can go to court and tell a judge lies and get a restraining order against their partner? They do not have to prove anything, all they have to do is verbally convince the judge there is a threat.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Keep your snout out of other people's business.

Good rule of thumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships