Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 PM

20 posts, read 47,418 times

Advertisements

So I've been dating some guy for 2 months, we're getting alone pretty well, he asked me to be his gf which I said yes.

So he got a party invitation from his relative for thanksgiving, he invited me to go with him so I can meet his relatives. The party is in southern ca so we have to fly and get a hotel while stay there.

Here's the delima, in my past dating experience, the guys who do the ask always pay. But this guy is a phd student in his 40's....I feel like I should offer to split the bill since he only does part time job. But on the other hand, I feel weird about paying....i swear I'm not being cheap.

What do you guys say?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,449,410 times
when in doubt split the bill. its the only fair option to all involved
personally, i would have payed if i asked a gf to MY family function....but like i stated there is a middle ground if you cant come to a shared decision

Old 11-13-2012, 12:06 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,256 times
He should pay if you are hot.

Pull out your wallet if you're not.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:11 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,505,717 times
Is he courting you or just wants to be friends? He pays to win your hand. Don't cheapen your relationship. Let him be the man if you want him to be your husband someday. My hubby never asked me to pay for a thing when we were dating and we dated for 3 years. If he doesn't have the money then don't do expensive things. You only pay for your gifts for him.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 AM

20 posts, read 47,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Is he courting you or just wants to be friends? He pays to win your hand. Don't cheapen your relationship. Let him be the man if you want him to be your husband someday. My hubby never asked me to pay for a thing when we were dating and we dated for 3 years. If he doesn't have the money then don't do expensive things. You only pay for your gifts for him.
That's exactly how I feel weird about paying....I wouldnt mind buying hin expensive gift.....but splitting the bill while he asked me to meet his relatives....just don't feel good.

He doesn't want just be friends, he's taking me there as his gf.

He asked if I wanted to go, after I said ok he started saying how expensive the hotel is.....just makes me uncomfortable...I know he's a phd student and don't have tons money.....he shouldn't have asked in the first place....

Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
If your understanding and willing to pay part of the cost:

Then make the offer, he can always refuse it.

My girl offers from time to time, I've never let her, but I like that she does.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 AM

6 posts, read 7,073 times
You should def pay. its the right thing to do.
Everyone has different concepts on gender roles though..make sure youre both on the same boat and he realizs hes dating a girl who expects the guy to pay. Dont just pull this **** out from nowhere..

I dont for a girls. EVER.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameunknown View Post
That's exactly how I feel weird about paying....I wouldnt mind buying hin expensive gift.....but splitting the bill while he asked me to meet his relatives....just don't feel good.

He doesn't want just be friends, he's taking me there as his gf.

He asked if I wanted to go, after I said ok he started saying how expensive the hotel is.....just makes me uncomfortable...I know he's a phd student and don't have tons money.....he shouldn't have asked in the first place....
Honestly, I don't know why this is such a dilemma if the money isn't an issue for you. This isn't about "cheapening" the relationship - it's about common decency. If you know you can afford it and it would be a stretch for him and you CARE about him and want to have a long-term relationship with him, then you step up. Or are you one of those women who think men are providers and the money you make is "yours"?

Where I think things are weird in this scenario is that you're taking a flight to meet his parents after only 2 months of dating. This seems very very rushed, and that's where I see red flags.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:46 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,037 times
Ill gladly pay if I'm really interested in the woman.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
The guy I'm dating and I split it every single time. Occasionally he will pick it up or I will pick it up, occasionally I will. We make the same amount of money so why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships