Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:04 AM

190 posts, read 305,343 times

Advertisements

I had to meet and have dinner with all my family relatives on thursday, and at one point I was speaking to two of my aunties (I have five) and one of them asked if I was still single, and I said yes. Then she said, "you will have a family one day won't you. You must have one. " Then both of them started talking really quickly about how I can't be alone for the rest of your life and they're going to try and set me up.

I was like wtf? Where did all this come from? At first I was thinking of just telling them that it'll never happen, but I thought for now it'll be far easier for me if I just feed them sh1t and play along. They won't be on my back that way. I just want money. The goal is get rich, live it up for a decade and then hopefully be out of here before I reach 40. That whole subject was crazy and I felt under mad pressure. I sure was glad someone interrupted.

How many of you here get pressured to have a family or meet someone? Does it irritate you? When did it start? How did you deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 11:07 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
That's pretty terrible man, but it sounds like most Asian families I know, at least the conservative ones. Thank goodness my family is pretty liberal, they don't care much for whether I want or do not want a family, as long as I'm happy. I was at my first US thanksgiving recently and it went pretty well, mostly they were concerned about my job and living situation, nothing about dating or relationships. When I get personal questions like that I just smile and give them vague but reassuring answers until they lose interest.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
To the question at hand:
My immediate family members do not.
My relatives, who I care very much about, and vice-versa, do not.
My relatives, who I know at an almost acquaintance level, do.
My friends, who I care very much about, and vice-versa, do not.
My friends, who periodically show up, from time to time, and play the "married superiority" card, do.
It makes it real easy to decipher who you want to hang around with, and with whom you don't.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:20 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
No one pressures me to do anything, because the surest way to make me balk is to pressure me.

My mother used to make a lot of grandchild requests. Then she got her first dog, an adorable Pomeranian, at the age of 61. Grandchild requests are almost nonexistent now. She loves that dog! (And so do I!)

Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBeamDreams View Post

I was like wtf? Where did all this come from? At first I was thinking of just telling them that it'll never happen, but I thought for now it'll be far easier for me if I just feed them sh1t and play along. They won't be on my back that way. I just want money. The goal is get rich, live it up for a decade and then hopefully be out of here before I reach 40. That whole subject was crazy and I felt under mad pressure. I sure was glad someone interrupted.
I have the following questions for you:

1) What state/city do you live?

2) What's your educational background and are you gainfully employed?

3) How old are you?

4) What's your ethnicity?

Last edited by Timing2012; 11-24-2012 at 11:36 AM..

Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
My parents and my dad's half of the family used to.

Now they see the reality that I probably won't, so now they consider me a failure when it comes to relationships. It's pretty accurate though.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
That's pretty terrible man, but it sounds like most Asian families I know, at least the conservative ones. Thank goodness my family is pretty liberal, they don't care much for whether I want or do not want a family, as long as I'm happy. I was at my first US thanksgiving recently and it went pretty well, mostly they were concerned about my job and living situation, nothing about dating or relationships. When I get personal questions like that I just smile and give them vague but reassuring answers until they lose interest.
Yeah, one of my Asian friends gets it pretty bad from his fam. Ever since he was 15. He's had it for years but he just tells them to leave him alone and let him live his life. You're lucky everything went smooth for you at your thanskgiving

Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
My parents and my dad's half of the family used to.

Now they see the reality that I probably won't, so now they consider me a failure when it comes to relationships. It's pretty accurate though.
Why are you failure? because you didn't do something to please other people? You're not on this planet to please anyone, bruh. You gotta do what you makes you happy. Who cares what they consider you. It means nothing.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBeamDreams View Post
I had to meet and have dinner with all my family relatives on thursday, and at one point I was speaking to two of my aunties (I have five) and one of them asked if I was still single, and I said yes. Then she said, "you will have a family one day won't you. You must have one. " Then both of them started talking really quickly about how I can't be alone for the rest of your life and they're going to try and set me up.
Who talks like this, in this day and age? This sounds like something from 1910.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who talks like this, in this day and age? This sounds like something from 1910.
Ruth there are plenty plenty of these families still around. Where do you think the Republican vote comes from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships