Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 AM

890 posts, read 1,650,354 times

Advertisements

I just recently signed up for pof.com and I am shocked because I have received a lot of messages. But I never get hit on out in public. I don't understand it whatsoever. I hangout at a bar every Sunday and no one really approaches me there or when I'm hanging out with my friends. Is this normal?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
I'm on POF and haven't received ANYTHING from anyone. So I don't know.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Men tend more to approach women who are alone than women who are with a pack of friends. Sundays aren't the most active days at bars, either, are they? Fridays and Saturdays might be a better bet. POF is a free venue, and gets all kinds of guys. The fee-based sites would have a higher percentage of members who are employed and well-educated.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,282 times
You're a chic on an online dating site.

'nuff said.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 AM

I go to a sports bar, so it's pretty packed for football, but I could get overshadowed by all of the pretty girls there I suppose. I would only date someone that's well educated and is employed like myself, but this city has a rather large young professional population, so it's pretty easy to find someone. I've never tried the online dating thing with guys before so I kinda want to see how it works

Old 11-24-2012, 11:44 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,101,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
You're a chic on an online dating site.

'nuff said.
^This.
And if your hot double ^This.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
So what's the problem? Isn't that what you signed up for?
Instead of worrying about what wasn't working, why not concentrate in what is working and start answering you messages? Apparently they like what they see in your profile.
I'm just confused as to why I don't get approached in real life....
I had a conversation with a friend a few months back and she was like what do I do when I am approached and I said I haven't been really. Maybe people do hit on me, but I dont realize it.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:51 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I go to a sports bar, so it's pretty packed for football, but I could get overshadowed by all of the pretty girls there I suppose. I would only date someone that's well educated and is employed like myself, but this city has a rather large young professional population, so it's pretty easy to find someone. I've never tried the online dating thing with guys before so I kinda want to see how it works
i don't know what you look like, but online dating is even more heavily skewed in favor of women than bars/nightclubs. don't forget that at offline venues, guys still have to gather up their courage to approach a girl and face the possibility of being shot down or laughed at. this tends to automatically eliminate a large percentage of men from the running. online, however, it's much easier since every guy can now take his own sweet time to draft a nice email, and not receiving a response via email doesn't sting nearly as much since most are playing the numbers game and will likely not even remember having sent you a message!

the disadvantage to you as a woman is that guys that might seem funny/charming/outgoing in their messages might be quite shy and poor conversationalists in real life. not saying this always happens but given the nature of electronic communication it's hard to tell for sure.

anyway, good luck to you!

Old 11-24-2012, 11:56 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,925,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
I'm just confused as to why I don't get approached in real life....
I had a conversation with a friend a few months back and she was like what do I do when I am approached and I said I haven't been really. Maybe people do hit on me, but I dont realize it.
It takes effort and sometimes sincerity to hit on women in real life. Online dating, it's all a cheap shot. Couple of clicks, that's all it takes. Cheapt shots!

Create a profile as an ugly fat chick, you WILL get hits/emails too.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:02 PM

Has anyone been successful on this site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships