Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 PM

94 posts, read 172,403 times

Advertisements

I know you aren't supposed to tell people what you make, but then why does match.com include it as a field?

In the olden days, matchmakers would vet out the people who weren't serious in their careers and who would have trouble providing a financially secure lifestyle. Friends who set you up will casually mention if you're doing well or not. But, it can be a turnoff for some to mention it.

I do want to show women that I'm ready for the next step. But, I'm not flashy. I don't drive an expensive car. I don't discuss income.

There are lots of posers who try to con girls into thinking they have successful careers. Why should they benefit while someone who legitimately does well not receive this benefit.

The level headed woman that I'd like to meet will view financial success as a benefit for security purposes and be attracted to someone ambitious and smart enough to achieve it, but I do want to weed out the gold diggers (but I'm pretty good at this already).

I make six figures, but not excessive 1 peecenter six figures. There are plenty who do way better than me, so I really don't think it's bragging to put it down. It just is what it is.

Any thoughts? Profile goes live tommorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
You can not weed out golddigger with a profile. Put your income on there if you wish. You weed out golddiggers when you start dating and they don't act like they love you.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You can not weed out golddigger with a profile. Put your income on there if you wish. You weed out golddiggers when you start dating and they don't act like they love you.
I'm not worried about weeding out the gold diggers.

I just want peoples' opinions on what they think. Should I or shouldn't I?

What do single ladies think?

Any guys with experience on this matter?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:58 PM

803 posts, read 1,668,341 times
Put it in your profile. Being thorough about yourself in your profile will increase your chances of meeting the right person (i.e. the ideal woman you described) even if there are downsides.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Put it in your profile. Being thorough about yourself in your profile will increase your chances of meeting the right person (i.e. the ideal woman you described) even if there are downsides.
Interesting. This was basically my own argument in favor. This is coming from a fellow guy though. Women think radically different than we do.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonProfessional View Post
Profile goes live tommorrow.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Income has zero effect on how I feel about a man on a dating profile. There are so many more important things to look at.

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
The one time I did online dating (granted, it was a free site), I skipped the income section. I don't think that it's anyone's business, and really has no importance when it comes to meeting people. But, that's just me.

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonProfessional View Post
I'm not worried about weeding out the gold diggers.

I just want peoples' opinions on what they think. Should I or shouldn't I?

What do single ladies think?

Any guys with experience on this matter?
I was lurking for awhile on a dating site, and I noticed maybe around half the men didn't put their income, they left the field blank. The absence of that info wouldn't influence my decision re: whether to contact a guy or not. There are other ways to communicate that you're a career man. For example, by stating your job/career. Also, your interests, hobbies, tastes in film, music, etc. will communicate what kind of a person your are. I think if you want to be modest about it, don't list it. See what happens. If no one contacts you over some weeks, try listing it, and see what kind of a difference that makes. Consider it an experiment. Good luck

Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
On line dating is pimping...no money - no funny...as they say...Between the greedy parasites that own the sites and woman who are into "wine tasting" forget it...seems that it is all about MONEY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships