Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 AM

884 posts, read 1,406,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I don't have one really bad secret. Obviously there are things that I wouldn't tell a SO until we were really really close...actually there is one thing I did when I was young that I'm really ashamed of and I probably would never tell anyone else. I think you reveal personal details about yourself over time once trust is established. Plus it would be weird to spill your guts about anything and everything after a short time.
Especially on the first date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't think I have a secret that NO ONE knows...but there are some that only certain people know--and they are not all the same people or the same secrets, if that makes sense...

Reed, how long have you known thiis woman? It seems odd that she would ask you that, knowing full well that you would follow up with the same question to her. Then she refuses to answer and cries and cries.

I bet your interest is piqued and she is the center of your attention again, right?

Have you noticed these signs of emotional manipulation in her before?
For some reason, OP's post read like she did answer, eventually.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM

884 posts, read 1,406,092 times
You also have to be careful of that too. If its something your torn about telling or not telling your SO, your SO could start to think of what it may be. They could start to think of all horrible things when in reality the secret may not be that bad.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,987,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I agree with you but there might be something that can affect the two of you as a couple then yeah I think you should. I told my Gf that I didn't want to know unless she wanted to tell me but I did say IF this is something that could possibly bite us in the arse down the road I would like to know. I would rather know & deal with it now then have it pop up 10 years from now.
Makes sense.

We can DEAL with a lot of things, but I'm sure we all have standards that can not be compromised regardless of when or how the secret is revealed.

Last edited by Raging-Hetero; 11-27-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I agree with you but there might be something that can affect the two of you as a couple then yeah I think you should. I told my Gf that I didn't want to know unless she wanted to tell me but I did say IF this is something that could possibly bite us in the arse down the road I would like to know. I would rather know & deal with it now then have it pop up 10 years from now.

It's my belief that if you're in a couple, then you're a team. If the secret has an impact on who you are today as an individual, it will impact the team so yes, it absolutely should be divulged. I agree with you - that wasn't clear in my original post though I had intended for it to be.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Reed, how long have you known thiis woman? It seems odd that she would ask you that, knowing full well that you would follow up with the same question to her. Then she refuses to answer and cries and cries.

Have you noticed these signs of emotional manipulation in her before?
As I said in my OP she did tell me so it's all good. Sorry I guess I didn't make that so clear in my OP. It wasn't all that bad in my opnion but we all have different degress of what's bad if I would of found out some other way down the road I would of reacted the same. I wanted her to be able to trust me with this secret of hers but I only wanted her to share it with me IF she wanted too. In the end I think she wanted to because she felt like she could trust me not to judge her.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Gotcha. Makes sense now.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:21 PM

143 posts, read 192,881 times
Pretty much everything I did the decade before I met my husband I'll never tell him about LOL

Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM

283 posts, read 508,375 times
No, wrong. When your gf brought up the whole subject of harboring andy personal secrets it didn't mean she trusted you did so cuz she trusted you. (But, she might.) It simply meant that, deep down inside, she wants to confess hers to you. that's why the crying. It wasn't a spontaneous thing. You gotta know women; this conversation was all planned-out.
I bet you a dollar she'll sit you down and tell you her deep dark secret with a week or so.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
I have many secrets - a very few are mine and a lot belong to other people. People tell me things. I won't ever tell a significant other any of them. I'm largely an open book, but I've got a very well-defined wall about the stuff I won't be telling anyone, not even a partner. In most cases, ESPECIALLY not a partner. If things went sour, they could use those secrets to harm people I care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships