Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I know... I could lose my guy card for suggesting he give up beer. But it would only be for a few months.
And then what?
And then back to old habits, with "beer belly" growing back to its place?
No, in a way I agree with OP - we DO have our preferences - at least some of us, very distinctively.
To some beer belly is not a big deal. I mean you can see it in your ( potential) mate that it might not be there yet, but the person is predisposed to it. If a beer belly is a deal breaker for some women, you better know that even if at the initial stage this ( potential) mate might abstain from beer, *in a few month* he'll get into it, as it was always meant to be. And there you have it - your current mate ( not "potential" one any longer) with a beer belly. If it was never a deal breaker to begin with - both will laugh it off. But if for a woman it's one of those physical traits in men that are turn offs, she will be probably avoiding men who are predisposed to beer bellies to begin with.
Same with men. Granted - the excessive weight has its stigma in society, but deep down every man knows whether he doesn't mind women being on a plump side ( or he actually prefers it,) or this plumpness is a big turn-off irrespectively from what society holds as standard.
So most likely in case of OP his rejection of overweight women has got nothing to do with societal pressure, and everything to do with his personal turn offs.
Since there are clearly women out there who like this "teddy-bear" body type ( interestingly enough they seem to be petite women,) I think we clearly have a case of pure "preferences," not "prejudice" linked to societal stereotypes.

Last edited by erasure; 12-09-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I'm glad some of you enjoyed making all sorts of decisions and assumptions about me, what I want, and what I should be willing to accept while I and my unwanted, unfair, prejudicial fatness were out being active today. I asked a simple question, and received mostly negative opinions about everything except my question. But you're entitled to them, as am I.

Have a great week.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm glad some of you enjoyed making all sorts of decisions and assumptions about me, what I want, and what I should be willing to accept while I and my unwanted, unfair, prejudicial fatness were out being active today. I asked a simple question, and received mostly negative opinions about everything except my question. But you're entitled to them, as am I.

Have a great week.
Yep.... fairly typical responses.

You could post something about cute furry little kittens, and SOMEONE is gonna find fault with it.

It's just how these Internet forums are. You have wade through about 80-90 percent of the crap to get real actual advice.

Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some.....

Old 12-09-2012, 05:49 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,679,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

You could post something about cute furry little kittens, and SOMEONE is gonna find fault with it.

It's just how these Internet forums are. You have wade through about 80-90 percent of the crap to get real actual advice.

He got flamed because he's a fat guy looking to date a hottie. That's flame-worthy in my view

If you are going to ask for a hottie, you better be in good shape yourself

Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
I'm far past caring what ugly people think of me, especially anonymous ugly people on the internet. I am who I am, and if everything came together for me to be thinner, that would be great. But that's not reality. I've accepted it and would just like to find women who like guys like me. I know they're out there.
The OP didn't help his case when he made the post above.

Sorry but he shouldn't be surprised that people are flaming him when he started with the assumptions.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-09-2012, 06:01 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post

Sorry but he shouldn't be surprised that people are flaming him when he started with the assumptions.
I agree with this...I was taken a bit aback by the immediate "ugly" comment.

That said, I did offer two good links, or I think I did, for the poster, who may use them, or not.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Usually CD is beyond that pettiness, but this forum is different from most that I frequent here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
He got flamed because he's a fat guy looking to date a hottie. That's flame-worthy in my view

If you are going to ask for a hottie, you better be in good shape yourself
I didn't express my interests in terms of "hotties". And I think it's very shallow to assume only hotties get hotties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
What assumptions are those?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:

What assumptions are those?
Um, that the respondents are ugly?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Um, that the respondents are ugly?
So you assumed I meant that the respondents are physically ugly, right? Even though I referenced anonymous internet people whose appearance I'd have no knowledge of? My supposed referring to people as physically ugly doesn't even make any sense in the context of my posts. Sounds like the (wrong) assumptions weren't made by me.

Ugliness is far deeper than the skin, as was displayed by many posters here.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
So you assumed I meant that the respondents are physically ugly, right? Even though I referenced anonymous internet people whose appearance I'd have no knowledge of? My supposed referring to people as physically ugly doesn't even make any sense in the context of my posts. Sounds like the (wrong) assumptions weren't made by me.

Ugliness is far deeper than the skin, as was displayed by many posters here.
So did you check out those links or what? By the way, fascinating backpedaling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships