Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:46 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times

Advertisements

You either tolerate it, or you don't.

If you tolerate it, then you accept them for who they are. Just keep your mouth shut, move on despite how incorrect you know they are. No among of arguing, negotiating or anything else will change them.

Or, you don't, and move on.

My aunt and uncle have been together since they were teenagers, coming up on their 50th. My uncle will be so "right" to the point of alienating family. This week, he denounced his relationship with me over a dispute - he was right, I was wrong, and nothing going to change that.

My aunt tolerates his BS because that is the bed she made for herself. It is her life and her choice. His BS makes her angry, but she backs him because she feels that is her duty as wife. So be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 01:13 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,996 times
I dated a guy like this for a brief time. He was GREAT on paper and met all the qualifications on the "checklist" except for that major flaw. We had a disagreement that he was CLEARLY wrong about and I tried explaining it in EVERY way I could even admitting to my part in the matter which was minimal in hopes that he too would admit. Unfortunately he just wanted to focus on the 1% I did and still refused to admit the 99% he was responsible for. I couldn't deal with it so I had to walk away.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:43 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
What if your SO will never admit they are wrong?
Then she must always be agreeing with me

Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1717Guy View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if they have any good ideas how to deal with it?

Thanks.
You are dealing with a narcissist. Someone that behind the facade and charade they portray to the world, they have extrememly weak sense of self, and cannot ever admit they are wrong. They are unable to because the consequences of admitting they are wrong are too severe. Their fasle self that they portray to the world, which is in their mind 'perfect' is a castle made of sand. Any fluctuation in their own evaluation of who or what they are would have the same result as a tide coming in and destroying it. There is nothing that you can do, and if pushed too far, someone like that will turn on you (as a matter of psychological self preservation) and if necessary - devalue and discard you rather than allow any potential threat to their fragile self esteem continue to exist in their world.

Life is too short to ever deal with someone that will not admit they are wrong if/or when a situation arises and objective facts of reality determine that they are wrong. Get out now and save yourself the stress and insanity of having to deal with this person's lack of a working relationship with reality. It is a fight that is not worth engaging in and ultimately a lost cause.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:55 PM

202 posts, read 472,965 times
In my situation the can't be wrong attitude runs in my SO's family like a gererational curse. The brother, father, and fathers mother were the same way. There is no way to change my situation so I just have to deal with it.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Do something wrong for a change.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM

202 posts, read 472,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Do something wrong for a change.
What do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships