Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times

Advertisements

"Type" - the combination of mostly PHYSICAL traits, and probable personality traits that go along with that.

YES. I believe in this limitation at least 90% of the time. If you are not someone's type and they have a fairly consistent palette, then "fuggedaboutit." Move on. Don't waste time. Don't unnecessarily stroke someone's ego.

I'll limit this to one story. Knew this girl in college who dropped out to marry an engineer. The marriage failed quickly. From the time she was a teenager, all she liked were policemen, firemen, and paramedic types. Probable reason: absent father figure. At any rate, she didn't waste much time finding husband #2. He was a policeman. I think the attraction was there, but he had the abusive qualities. She finally figured out it wasn't going to work and divorced him too. Now, she is single again, and looking. She now entertains "all" types, but I am sure she would still want the age-progressed version of the TYPE she wanted all along.

What's YOUR take on "types?" --- for you, people you know, and how you see it in the public at large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,941 times
Yes, but only very loosely defined. There are so many exceptions to this, but in general I would say we are attracted to those that fit the "type" of our immediate family, particularly mothers (for men), and fathers (for women).
Sometimes the opposite is true- we go for what our parents are not. I imagine that may not be as successful in the long run, assuming that either a. the parents did not give their child a good emotional foundation, or b. the young woman or man is still immature and acting out against their "authority figures".

Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,027,817 times
What if you don't have a type? Is everyone supposed to have one?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
What if you don't have a type? Is everyone supposed to have one?
That's for you to determine. What about your friends? Coworkers? Do they have "types" that they will exclusively go for ... and turn down others? The thread could be YOU ... or people you know.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:50 PM

814 posts, read 2,044,417 times
well then considering my success rate with the opposite sex, I must be a TYPO!

Old 12-16-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigh110 View Post
well then considering my success rate with the opposite sex, I must be a TYPO!
Ha! That's funny.

But, seeing your location on one of the Florida Keys, even if you just have a pulse, consider me an annexed friend. J/K.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM

102,215 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I think it's about "type", more than looks, especially, though looks plays into "type". "Type" can be: boyish, vs. "hot", vs. average/non-descript, etc. But it's also: funny, vs. intellectual, vs. down-to-earth, and soft-spoken vs. "alpha", and so on. It can also be: hipster, vs. conservative businessman, vs. geek, and: athletic/wiry, vs. beefy, vs. big teddy-bear type. Some people are narrow in their "type" preference. Others are more flexible, and can be open to a wide variety.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:40 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
"Type" - the combination of mostly PHYSICAL traits, and probable personality traits that go along with that.

YES. I believe in this limitation at least 90% of the time. If you are not someone's type and they have a fairly consistent palette, then "fuggedaboutit." Move on. Don't waste time. Don't unnecessarily stroke someone's ego.

I'll limit this to one story. Knew this girl in college who dropped out to marry an engineer. The marriage failed quickly. From the time she was a teenager, all she liked were policemen, firemen, and paramedic types. Probable reason: absent father figure. At any rate, she didn't waste much time finding husband #2. He was a policeman. I think the attraction was there, but he had the abusive qualities. She finally figured out it wasn't going to work and divorced him too. Now, she is single again, and looking. She now entertains "all" types, but I am sure she would still want the age-progressed version of the TYPE she wanted all along.

What's YOUR take on "types?" --- for you, people you know, and how you see it in the public at large.

It's funny how you concluded that those men were her 'type' because of some absentee father issue. Did it ever occur to you they have something in common? They all put their lives on the line and are public servants. Men have their 'types' and the ones that sit around and say they give all types of women a chance are few and far between. So if that woman wants to date policeman, fireman, etc. that's her choice.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
So if that woman wants to date policeman, fireman, etc. that's her choice.
It was her choice and she's entitled to it. Too bad it didn't work out. In her case, she was raised by her Mom and grandmother, who moved from NYC to LA, leaving her Dad behind when she was real small.

The policeman / fireman thing appears to a "type," as they seem to have a following. I don't think it has anything to do with a life on the line as much as it has to do with the appearance that typically goes with that. If you want to talk about life on the line, a male nurse in ER saves more of those than would the typical policeman, and maybe even fireman. The "look" is what she remarked about.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:57 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,735,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It was her choice and she's entitled to it. Too bad it didn't work out. In her case, she was raised by her Mom and grandmother, who moved from NYC to LA, leaving her Dad behind when she was real small.

The policeman / fireman thing appears to a "type," as they seem to have a following. I don't think it has anything to do with a life on the line as much as it has to do with the appearance that typically goes with that. If you want to talk about life on the line, a male nurse in ER saves more of those than would the typical policeman, and maybe even fireman. The "look" is what she remarked about.

My point was her being raised by her mother and grandmother doesn't necessarily equate to her choosing those kinds of men due to an absentee father.

I know the 'policeman/fireman' type has a following. I can see why. Women gravitate toward them because of the uniform and also because of their bravery hence (putting their life on the line). If you think that's not a factor, you're wrong. Male ER nurse doesn't scream masculinity and neither does the uniform......My own personal theory is they stand out to some women as "probably" decent men based on their careers, the same way men judge women based on their careers. I'm not saying I think they're decent men, just that other women likely do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships