Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:12 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

While this may sound like a Christianity topic, it more relates to relationships so I thought I'd post it here. Hopefully some Christians who frequent this forum will have a few things to say.

Quote:
But if the husband or wife who isn't a believer insists on leaving, let them go. In such cases the Christian husband or wife is no longer bound to the other, for God has called you to live in peace. 1 Corinthians 7:15
We've all automatically accepted that Paul is referring to physically leaving, but someone in another forum I frequent suggests that it is equally possible that a spouse can leave the marriage "emotionally" or "sexually" as well, so that although both are living under the same roof the one spouse feels as deserted as if the other had packed their bags and left physically. In that case, this person in the other forum argues, the spouse who has been "deserted" emotionally or sexually is then free to divorce and remarry per Paul's instruction.

Any thoughts on whether this is a valid argument in favor of divorce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:16 PM

708 posts, read 878,876 times
I don't feel like getting in a big argument about what the Bible passage may or may not mean.

In my eyes though it means you have at least attempted to work things out with your spouse before leaving.

Emotionally or sexually leaving a marriage could be really construed as anything. But if a married person says, while I'm leaving because my partner has already left in a metaphorical sense, without examining his/her potential role...I don't quite agree with that.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I think this is better suited to the Christianity forum, because your discussion depends on someone's belief in the Bible and what Paul says.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,362 times
The passage also includes "who isn't a believer."

I think that throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing if you believe in such things.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM

708 posts, read 878,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post

I think that throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing if you believe in such things.
Yeah.

And for OP, what do you feel that verse means in the context of the chapter you took it from, rather than a stand alone quote?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:33 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
While this may sound like a Christianity topic, it more relates to relationships so I thought I'd post it here. Hopefully some Christians who frequent this forum will have a few things to say.

We've all automatically accepted that Paul is referring to physically leaving, but someone in another forum I frequent suggests that it is equally possible that a spouse can leave the marriage "emotionally" or "sexually" as well, so that although both are living under the same roof the one spouse feels as deserted as if the other had packed their bags and left physically. In that case, this person in the other forum argues, the spouse who has been "deserted" emotionally or sexually is then free to divorce and remarry per Paul's instruction.

Any thoughts on whether this is a valid argument in favor of divorce?
Seriously?

So rather than take advice from one of the modern, focused, researched and proven books about relationships today, you focus on a vague interpretation of a quote, that simply tells a person they can leave if the spouse leaves first?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Seriously?

So rather than take advice from one of the modern, focused, researched and proven books about relationships today, you focus on a vague interpretation of a quote, that simply tells a person they can leave if the spouse leaves first?
Those people in Bronze Age Palestine man. They knew all about relationships.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 PM

19,719 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Those people in Bronze Age Palestine man. They knew all about relationships.
lol

Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhacer View Post

That totally escaped me. My apologies.

The supposition was that the one spouse had completely turned off emotionally and sexually and was basically only going through the motions. The person who generated this POV (in other words the OP that caused this person to give their view on the matter) explained that his wife had basically cut him off from all intimacies and was just in the relationship to use him to pay the bills.

I am at an impasse. Perhaps the thread should die. If I'd started it in the Christian forum, it would have gotten beaten to death anyway so it's probably what they call a "stillborn thread". So...........

Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,742 times
Divorce has largely been accepted within Christianity for a variety of "valid" reasons.

Remarriage? no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships