Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:00 PM

318 posts, read 567,151 times

Advertisements

The marriage of my wife and I got lots better after we moved into a large home and each of us moved into our own bedrooms.

Before we lived in a small two bedroom apartment that was about 900 square feet. If we were at home there was no where to escape. We had to see each other constantly. Yes, we love each other but some space is really nice.

So when we moved into a large home earlier this year things really improved. We love each other even more now that we have a way to escape each other. There is a large finished basement with a recreation center/second family room we have set up with a second 55 inch HDTV and a second computer. If one of us wants to watch a different television show in peace, or play with the Internet or just sit alone in quiet reading, that is where we go. Down there we are in complete privacy and quiet. The other HDTV and computer is in the family room on the first floor.

The second thing we did to improve our marriage is move into our own bedrooms. As we got older, both of us started to sleep poorly and were really bothered by the other person moving around in bed and the different sleep schedules we each had. The last year we slept in the same room and bed I only slept maybe four hours a night and would always get keyed up waiting for her to go to bed. I just could not sleep until she came to bed. Now we are in separate bedrooms I sleep like a baby and feel so much better mentally and physically.

So I think: Larger Home + Separate Bedrooms + More Space = BETTER MARRIAGE!

Last edited by Mr Spock; 03-26-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
So marriage is really about escaping from your wife? Boy, sounds like a great scenario. FYI, this is why many married man become completely consumed with their hobbies after they have been married for awhile. Its an escape, which makes marriage completely pointless IMO.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
I think you have a bad marriage.

I couldn't imagine not sleeping with my wife, and I can't imagine wanting to have lots of space between her and I, save for having nights out with separate friends and enjoying some space like that.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:09 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,577,082 times
Sounds like you are sexless to.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM

318 posts, read 567,151 times
Studies have shown the best marriages are couples who give each other space, have their own friends, hobbies and outside diversions outside the house. Why can't we have that inside the house too?

When couples retire, many marriages break up that were healthy before because the couple smother each other being with each other all the time in a smaller home. While I am not retired, I can relate.

We talk more now than ever and our sex life is great. You don't have to sleep in the same bed to have a god sex life and communication!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
So marriage is really about escaping from your wife? Boy, sounds like a great scenario. FYI, this is why many married man become completely consumed with their hobbies after they have been married for awhile. Its an escape, which makes marriage completely pointless IMO.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post

So when we moved into a large home earlier this year things really improved. We love each other even more now that we have a way to escape each other. There is a large finished basement with a recreation center/second family room we have set up with a second 55 inch HDTV and a second computer....

So what is your love advice for poor folks who can't afford a large home with all the affluent trappings?

Old 03-26-2013, 03:05 PM

504 posts, read 852,852 times
Studies shmudies, I love being around my husband. Have for the last 16+ years, and will continue to do so. That said, everyone's situation is unique and it sounds like you've found something that works for you

Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Maybe that works for you - and that's great. That's not how our marriage works nor is it how we want it to work. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Dewdroplet76; 03-26-2013 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Oops! Amazing how one letter can change the whole post!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
I just couldn't imagine living like that. We have a completely open plan downstairs where both our computers are along with the TV, gaming consoles. We like being in the same space, doing things separately or together. We love snuggling together at night, sharing one last story or joke. I feel sorry for people who have to live such separate lives, really why bother being married?

Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
The marriage of my wife and I got lots better after we moved into a large home and each of us moved into our own bedrooms.

Before we lived in a small two bedroom apartment that was about 900 square feet. If we were at home there was no where to escape. We had to see each other constantly. Yes, we love each other but some space is really nice.

So when we moved into a large home earlier this year things really improved. We love each other even more now that we have a way to escape each other. There is a large finished basement with a recreation center/second family room we have set up with a second 55 inch HDTV and a second computer. If one of us wants to watch a different television show in peace, or play with the Internet or just sit alone in quiet reading, that is where we go. Down there we are in complete privacy and quiet. The other HDTV and computer is in the family room on the first floor.

The second thing we did to improve our marriage is move into our own bedrooms. As we got older, both of us started to sleep poorly and were really bothered by the other person moving around in bed and the different sleep schedules we each had. The last year we slept in the same room and bed I only slept maybe four hours a night and would always get keyed up waiting for her to go to bed. I just could not sleep until she came to bed. Now we are in separate bedrooms I sleep like a baby and feel so much better mentally and physically.

I'm glad it's working out for you. Both my parents and grandparents prefer to sleep in separate bedrooms. My grandparents never divorced- death was what ended their marriage and I wouldn't say my parents are extremely happy with each other, but they both like their space in the home and have no plans to separate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships