Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,354,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I just don't get the need for "if she looked younger than her actual age". It wasn't needed, it was a bit rude, it implied women don't or can't generally look good at different ages. It's a bit of a jerk statement, IMO. I've dated people 10 years older, and 10 years younger. I prefer +/-5 years. Whatever. People are people.
I think the author of the thread is a woman, but in that case it just shows that she buys into the unhealthy attitude or assumed most men would. Sad regardless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,124,790 times
Sure... Y not? One of the hottest bartenders i know is older with grandchildren.... No idea her age though

Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 AM

636 posts, read 393,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
Not really. People are often persuaded by peer pressure. Younger people would be much more susceptible to this. A young man who was attracted to an older woman may hide this attraction fearing ridicule from his friends.
If you have any evidence to support your position, I'm willing to see it.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,248,531 times
Quote:
Not really. People are often persuaded by peer pressure. Younger people would be much more susceptible to this. A young man who was attracted to an older woman may hide this attraction fearing ridicule from his friends.
I don't know a single guy who feels that way. In fact, most of the guys I know who dated older women made it very known that they were attracted to her by saying, "She's 10 years older and HOT!"

Many years ago my brother in law dated a woman who was about 10 years older than him. They never hid the fact that she was older (she did not look 55 at all)...in fact, they'd often remind people. It was kind of annoying after a while though lol

Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,354,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I don't know a single guy who feels that way. In fact, most of the guys I know who dated older women made it very known that they were attracted to her by saying, "She's 10 years older and HOT!"

Many years ago my brother in law dated a woman who was about 10 years older than him. They never hid the fact that she was older (she did not look 55 at all)...in fact, they'd often remind people. It was kind of annoying after a while though lol
I think both the men and the women in older woman/younger man relationships sometimes see it as a sort of accomplishment. Understandable enough since women's age is so often looked at negatively. I suspect the older woman sees herself as somewhat exempt from those negative ideas about women aging, and the younger man may see himself as sexually and otherwise open minded or adventurous.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:57 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,405,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyturquoise View Post
Few months ago, a new guy started at my company. He is very attractive but I found him too young for me. The thing is that I noticed that he gets very shy with me, greeting me with his head down looking to the floor and even ignoring me for no reason... I never flirted with him , always being friendly and kind... The other day I initiated a casual conversation with him, he gave me this glance over(you know the Up and down look) and smiled at me, and seemed sort of nervous. Or if I try to start a friendly chat with him he looks into my eyes and smiles...I'm sure he knows that i'm older than him, but not sure if he is afraid of me, or just wants to hide his feelings??? He asked me casually if I had plans for the weekend , which I replied with: " no nothing important". Did he want to find out if i had a bf or was he asking me out indirectly??? I am afraid that the age difference will be refraining him from trying to show his true intentions!!! Your opinions are welcome...
I casually dated a couple women who were close to a decade older than me but I prefer women who are younger than me.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:21 PM

676 posts, read 529,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
If you have any evidence to support your position, I'm willing to see it.
I'm sure you are.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post

I'm sure. However, that doesn't mean that most guys are like that.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:42 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,248,531 times
Quote:
I'm sure. However, that doesn't mean that most guys are like that.

Doesn't mean they aren't I think there are more guys like that than there are women, meaning, there are probably younger women with older men who hide it from their friends/family for fear of ridicule being labeled as possibly having "daddy issues". Most guys would "high 5" for being with the older woman

Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I think both the men and the women in older woman/younger man relationships sometimes see it as a sort of accomplishment. Understandable enough since women's age is so often looked at negatively. I suspect the older woman sees herself as somewhat exempt from those negative ideas about women aging, and the younger man may see himself as sexually and otherwise open minded or adventurous.
I can tell you how I feel about attention from young men. Flattered. Is that morally wrong? I don't think so. Just as an older man would probably feel flattered by attention from a young woman. It really is like getting attention from someone who is much better looking than yourself. Flattering, but who lurks beneath the smoldering good looks? Very attractive people are, after all, just as capable of being *******s as the rest of us.

I would be hard pressed to think of a good reason to either date or otherwise become involved with a young man. They are more physically attractive, but that has never been enough of a reason for me. Even the most mature young man is still a young man. I feel very much a world apart from them. For those who do find physical attractiveness enough .... that is not my business.

Also, I think there is more at work here than just the stigma of age. There is also the feeling of becoming unable and perhaps useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships