Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times

Advertisements

It depends on the meaning of word "date". I would've had no problem going out with an older woman, having fun and "sleeping together" for a while. But I don't feel that such a huge age difference is workable in a long term relationship. And in generally it makes having kids complicated or impossible. Four - five years is not an issue but 10 years difference is way too big...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yep, a fling can work, but sustaining a relationship with that kind of age gap is just plain hard.
I would tend to agree. That's why when at age 50 I found myself blessedly single again I only wanted to date women at or close to my own age. Despite obvious interest from some younger women I stuck to my guns. My wife is only two years younger than I am so we both experienced the same historic and social and societal times and upheavals and can better relate to one another. She was both the first and last one I dated back then.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:02 PM

676 posts, read 528,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Wouldn't do it. But then, I'm 70 so she'd be 80. The marriage wouldn't likely last long so why bother?
Might be good while it lasted.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I would tend to agree. That's why when at age 50 I found myself blessedly single again I only wanted to date women at or close to my own age. Despite obvious interest from some younger women I stuck to my guns. My wife is only two years younger than I am so we both experienced the same historic and social and societal times and upheavals and can better relate to one another. She was both the first and last one I dated back then.
It does tend to extend the possible shelf life of the relationship to be with someone around your own age. I think there are studies to show this is the case.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
Might be good while it lasted.
At this age, if my wife - age 68 - went before me that would be it for relationships and certainly marriage. They're both hard work to attain and sustain and I don't think I'd have the energy and certainly not the will.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:13 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
I have and would date a woman 10 years older than me. She probably could have passed for a little bit younger than age. She was 41-42 at the time. When I first met her, I kind of figured she was around the age that she ended up being. Maybe late 30's at the youngest. Maybe it's just because I'm well into my 30's now, but people in their 40's don't seem that old. At least not for the MOST part. If you ever watch a TV sitcom for the 70's or 80's or any time before that, people in their 40's seemed to look like senior citizens/elderly people back then. Nowadays, most people in their 50's don't even really look like elderly people.

I wouldn't wanna marry one that much older or have a family with them, mostly because 44+ year old women have either already had kids and families and want no more, or don't have any children because they may not have ever wanted to.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
My man would say "yes."

How dare you make so much sense on City-Data?
well hello miss lilac...havent seen you in years....

Old 01-31-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
At this age, if my wife - age 68 - went before me that would be it for relationships and certainly marriage. They're both hard work to attain and sustain and I don't think I'd have the energy and certainly not the will.
Yes ... to say nothing about the low possibility of finding someone just as compatible and appealing. I'm with you on that one.

Casual dating it is.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I have and would date a woman 10 years older than me. She probably could have passed for a little bit younger than age. She was 41-42 at the time. When I first met her, I kind of figured she was around the age that she ended up being. Maybe late 30's at the youngest. Maybe it's just because I'm well into my 30's now, but people in their 40's don't seem that old. At least not for the MOST part. If you ever watch a TV sitcom for the 70's or 80's or any time before that, people in their 40's seemed to look like senior citizens/elderly people back then. Nowadays, most people in their 50's don't even really look like elderly people.

I wouldn't wanna marry one that much older or have a family with them, mostly because 44+ year old women have either already had kids and families and want no more, or don't have any children because they may not have ever wanted to.
Or can't have kids because they're in peri-menopause. Or shouldn't have kids because of the high risk of birth defects.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Why do we have to throw in that dumb: "IF they look younger." Otherwise what? You're attracted to someone older?
If you want someone younger, then just go for someone younger, not someone older who looks younger...
When you're 70 they'll be 80. Oh no! Can you imagine how much faster you'll be able to run then them? Or wait a minute...what if they still look younger, does it look like they're running faster?

Or how about someone nice, who you're attracted to that makes you feel great?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships