Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

A few years ago, I tried to pursue a relationship with this woman. It started out OK, but over time I grew to dislike the way she was treating me. So I ended it and stopped talking to her altogether. A few weeks ago, she emails me out of the blue. She doesn't apologize for what happened in the past or even acknowledge any of it. She just wants to say hi and catch up. I respond and briefly update her on my life. Where I live, work, personal life, etc. But I don't go into a lot of detail. I then ask her what she's been up to. No reply.

Now I'm trying not to read too much into this. Maybe she was just curious and wanted to see what I was doing these days. Maybe she was hoping to patch things up. Maybe she was fishing to see if I was seeing anyone. I did mention that I was still single and didn't have any kids. The fact that I never heard back from her about her life makes me wonder if she just wanted to see if I was still single. Perhaps I could hear from the women on this. Suppose there was a guy who pursued you. But you treated him badly and he finally got fed up and told you off. Why would you email him years later? And if so, why would you do so, especially if that person made it clear he didn't want to talk to you ever again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 PM

362 posts, read 560,031 times
You might be her plan B, and she was just making sure you'll still be available when she's done with whatever relationship she's in.

I have used the plan B approach too, but never with anyone I mistreated. She might remember things a little differently than you do.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
You might be her plan B, and she was just making sure you'll still be available when she's done with whatever relationship she's in.

I have used the plan B approach too, but never with anyone I mistreated. She might remember things a little differently than you do.
It did cross my mind. Maybe she thinks enough time has passed that I'll forgive her. Just the fact that I responded to her email might be confirmation in her mind that I'm no longer angry. It was also hard not to notice the timing. She emailed me right after the holidays, a time when people who are single feel especially alone. One of the reasons I stopped talking to her is because I felt like I was her backup plan. So if she's reaching out to me now to see if I'm still available, then that just tells me she hasn't changed. How disappointing.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 PM

127 posts, read 154,754 times
Quote:

That's so romantic. I can tell you're a real charmer.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
I had a guy do this. It was a little different in that he dumped me in the worst way possible and disappeared for years, and then he emailed. Turns out he felt like he made a mistake and wanted to come back to me. I found out that he ran off and married a woman who was - according to him - a real witch, among other things.

Sometimes people have to experience the bad to appreciate the good. Maybe that's what happened in your case as well.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:

That would be pretty naive of anybody to assume someone they used to be involved with, but haven't spoken to in years could be their plan "anything". It's at best a random shot in the dark at that point if years (or even decades) go by with no knowledge of the other persons personal life.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM

35 posts, read 43,887 times
Maybe she regrets the mistreatments and doesn't have the words to express her guilt and apologize?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
A few years ago, I tried to pursue a relationship with this woman. It started out OK, but over time I grew to dislike the way she was treating me. So I ended it and stopped talking to her altogether. A few weeks ago, she emails me out of the blue. She doesn't apologize for what happened in the past or even acknowledge any of it. She just wants to say hi and catch up. I respond and briefly update her on my life. Where I live, work, personal life, etc. But I don't go into a lot of detail. I then ask her what she's been up to. No reply.

Now I'm trying not to read too much into this. Maybe she was just curious and wanted to see what I was doing these days. Maybe she was hoping to patch things up. Maybe she was fishing to see if I was seeing anyone. I did mention that I was still single and didn't have any kids. The fact that I never heard back from her about her life makes me wonder if she just wanted to see if I was still single. Perhaps I could hear from the women on this. Suppose there was a guy who pursued you. But you treated him badly and he finally got fed up and told you off. Why would you email him years later? And if so, why would you do so, especially if that person made it clear he didn't want to talk to you ever again?
You'd probably been on her mind for awhile if she went to the trouble to seek you out and send you an email. Even if she didn't have to seek you out and you'd had the same email the whole time, it's still a fairly significant gesture for someone to do that after such a long time, especially for a woman...they typically seem less prone to this sort of thing than men do.

Given this, here's my real point; why didn't you just ask her in your response what made her decide to email you? I bet you she would've had a hard time resisting the temptation to answer that one...it's a loaded question full of intrigue and almost demands a response. Instead, it sounds like you just gave her kind of a boring executive summary of how your life has been and didn't give her much of a reason to reply. I think you maybe said too much also, but that's just my opinion. It's not any of her business if you're single or have any kids. At least not at that point. Try not to be such an open book in situations like these. (I'm bad about this too.)

A good idea to get in the habit of when somebody sends you an "oh crap" type email that requires a careful response, is not to reply to it right away. Let it swirl around for a few days and then reply. What inevitably happens is you pound out some response, hit the send button, and kick yourself later on when you start to think you maybe should have said "this" instead of "that", or maybe altered your tone a little bit.

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 01-20-2013 at 11:08 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
She wants you to impregnate her.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

She was obviously still interested.

Her lack of response could be that she remembered certain aspects of the relationship that turned her completely off.

My guess being something to do with how conflict was handled or the fact it even came up?

Perhaps you two are very incompatible. She woke from her daydreams..? Idealizing the past can get people to second guess and bounce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships