Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM

11,819 posts, read 12,072,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
A lot of people who hate marriage are stuck in bad marriages or have suffered through painful divorces. They overgeneralize from their own experiences.
At least on C-D, it doesn't seem to be the previously married people that hate marriage. I don't recall many posts from people who've been married that are as anti-marriage as some of the never-married men here.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:11 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,589,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So here's what I don't get. Why are so many people so anti-marriage to the point that they think that nobody should ever get married and they can't wait for it to die out (which I highly doubt it will). I understand not wanting to get married - I really do. We all want different things out of life. But while I don't think that EVERYONE should get married - I don't understand why some people seem to think that NOBODY should get married. Why not just do what's best for you and let others do what's best for them? Some people really love being married. I don't see what the big deal is. Can anyone explain all the hatred about something that is not mandatory?
Although marriage isn't mandatory, marriage is one of those things that in many cultures people expect young people to do. And here in America, if you plan on being a pubic figure, you have no choice but to get married because people would not take you seriously and you wouldn't even have a career. For example, every man (or woman) who runs for political office is MARRIED. Why can't a bachelor be a president? Why must every person show they have 2-3 kids, a goofy dog, and a house with a white fence? Are we all automatons?

Americans boast about celebrating diversity, but why does that only apply to race?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,472,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Why must every person show they have 2-3 kids, a goofy dog, and a house with a white fence? Are we all automatons?
Pretty sure it's common knowledge that politicians are simulacrum.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,706,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Although marriage isn't mandatory, marriage is one of those things that in many cultures people expect young people to do. And here in America, if you plan on being a pubic figure, you have no choice but to get married because people would not take you seriously and you wouldn't even have a career. For example, every man (or woman) who runs for political office is MARRIED. Why can't a bachelor be a president? Why must every person show they have 2-3 kids, a goofy dog, and a house with a white fence? Are we all automatons?
While I agree with your points, I must say that James Buchanan was a "bachelor" and a President. Some say he was gay. A President also married while in office (Grover Cleveland methinks). Yes, you are correct. There is still a stigma needlessly thrown onto unmarried people regardless of gender.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,490,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
At least on C-D, it doesn't seem to be the previously married people that hate marriage. I don't recall many posts from people who've been married that are as anti-marriage as some of the never-married men here.
That's true. I think there's also a widespread trend, especially among men, of talking about marriage negatively. Many men learn to dread marriage, associating it with the end of their youth, the loss of their freedom and dread financial ruin in the case of divorce. It is kind of ironic, because I think you could argue that when marriages do work out, men often benefit more from them than women do. Older women who divorce or whose husbands die often have a large network of supportive female friends to fall back on and get their lives back together. Older who find themselves alone often lack such support, and become very lonley and depressed.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
And our society has been trending for decades to place more importance on the individual than the group, and our neverending competitive consumerism has most of us convinced that the point to life is gratification. These things are counter intuitive to the sacrifices required in a marriage, especially once kids come along. Even a good marriage is challenging, and people are getting to the point where they don't want to put forth effort for things that are hard.
^^^^This x 1,000,000. Every word.

The easiest thing is almost never the right thing. Marriage is hard work but with the right person, the rewards are beyond imagination and the work doesn't feel like work.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
While I agree with your points, I must say that James Buchanan was a "bachelor" and a President. Some say he was gay. A President also married while in office (Grover Cleveland methinks). Yes, you are correct. There is still a stigma needlessly thrown onto unmarried people regardless of gender.
Ha, yea.... If you're over a certain age, and not married with kids, people think you're gay (male or female).

I had one woman ask me, "so, do you bat for the other team?". In my mind I'm like, "How can people come to such conclusions simply because I'm not married?!" If anything, it goes to show how close people stick to life's script......

Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Pretty sure it's common knowledge that politicians are simulacrum.
Had to look that word up. Yes, I agree.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,215,414 times
We also mostly live in a disposable society with its foundation on quicksand.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
That's true. I think there's also a widespread trend, especially among men, of talking about marriage negatively. Many men learn to dread marriage, associating it with the end of their youth, the loss of their freedom and dread financial ruin in the case of divorce. It is kind of ironic, because I think you could argue that when marriages do work out, men often benefit more from them than women do. Older women who divorce or whose husbands die often have a large network of supportive female friends to fall back on and get their lives back together. Older who find themselves alone often lack such support, and become very lonley and depressed.
I agree with you. I've seen it IRL with guys I know, including my own SO, grappling with the "end of youth", "loss of freedom" mentality. I haven't encountered any worrying about financial ruin in the event of divorce though, when they haven't gotten to "committed relationship" stage, let alone marriage.

I think marriage gets a bad rap because of loss of freedom especially, because when you marry, you join with another, so you can't operate like a single person anymore with no regard for anyone but yourself. You can't be married and be selfish, and I see a lot of selfishness out there these days, the what's in it for me, and me alone, mentality. This type of person needs to not be in relationships, let alone a marriage. It's not about losing yourself, and it's not two people becoming one person, but you do become a single entity, working together, moving and growing in the same direction, and you can't do that when you're looking out for yourself only, and not your spouse, and your union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.