Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,693,249 times

Advertisements

I can see their point (unfair custody laws, divorce laws, alimony, child support, mandatory military service for men but not for women, domestic abuse, treatment of male rape victims, lack of battered mens shelters etc).

I get the vibe from a lot of them want "barefoot and pregnant", submissive women though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,753,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
I can see their point (unfair custody laws, divorce laws, alimony, child support, mandatory military service for men but not for women, domestic abuse, treatment of male rape victims, lack of battered mens shelters etc).

I get the vibe from a lot of them want "barefoot and pregnant", submissive women though.
And women's rights are also still being denied. This just in;

Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape kits, brings justice to victims - Rock Center with Brian Williams

“What we were potentially looking at, at that time, was over 10,000 rape kits, representing over 10,000 cases where women had reported, whose lives and what had happened to them was sitting on a shelf and nobody cared. I was shocked, and I think I was kind of stunned -- and not too much stuns me,”

Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,693,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
And women's rights are also still being denied. This just in;

Prosecutor leads effort to test long-abandoned rape kits, brings justice to victims - Rock Center with Brian Williams

“What we were potentially looking at, at that time, was over 10,000 rape kits, representing over 10,000 cases where women had reported, whose lives and what had happened to them was sitting on a shelf and nobody cared. I was shocked, and I think I was kind of stunned -- and not too much stuns me,”
Unfortunately I already know about this. It's very expensive and time consuming to process DNA and it's not considered important enough to fund.

I wonder if the DNA has degraded.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,216,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

The whole circumcision argument is specious at best. It has been shown again and again that the benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks. Indeed, circumcision stemmed from health concerns, in much the same way that forbidding the consumption of pork arose from health concerns. It may have been couched in religious terms, but the bottom line is that back when these traditions went into effect, both infected penises and infected pork were common. And not for nothing, but circumcision does not diminish either libido or enjoyment of sex. Circumcised men still enjoy a good banging.

Female circumcision, AKA female genital mutiliation, arose solely as an attempt to kill female sex drive and enjoyment of sex, on the theory that women who enjoyed sex were evil whores who would seek it out from every man in the area. There are no health benefits to it whatsoever. FGM is nothing less than a barbaric act of oppression, and, quite frankly, anyone who tries to put male circumcision on the same level as FGM has his or her head up his or her arse.
Thank you for posting this. It's worthy of a sticky. Female circumcision would be closer to cutting off the penis or top portion of the penis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Which is exactly why I have a hard time seeing a lot of the MRA dudes as anything other than angry guys on the internet high-fiving each other in blog comments. If they have a reasonable argument about something, they should explain here it using their own words, not expect people to watch a bunch of you tube videos.
I have yet to see anyone take them seriously, but themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Men are oppressed by other men.
This is true. Men harm men to such horrific rates that conversations addressing male rights, as it relates to women and feminism, is absurd.
Quote:
Logistically it's not that easy once children are involved. Besides, most women marry men who make more money then them (not even the same amount).
It's really about choices and what it is to own our choices and to be grown ups. I've done the marriage thing. I'm now doing the child thing. I chose my partner carefully. We discussed him being a stay at home dad since I earn more, but I decided against it. Yes, there is the potential alimony thing, but more importantly is that A. I'm concerned about one of us eventually getting sick. The other, who would lose skillset and opportunity over time, would not be able to support our current lifesytle if he had to return to work. 2. Our retirement. We can manage on one income, but what about savings? How will we live when we're old? I'm not going to rely on SS or gov handouts. C. What about our child's education? This all costs extra.

I don't know about other people, but we discussed our careers and future goals. There was no getting a college degree just to get a degree, no forethought. And while I understand that men generally earn more than women census does not report wildly different people coupling up. The blue collar worker is marrying the pink collar worker. Are they really earning that different in salaries? Based on what I have read, people paying alimony had spouses who were not working. Spouses staying home to raise the kids. That's a decision made by the couple and that decision includes the potential for alimony.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,360,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I find that these types of men are extremely distrustful of women to the point where I'm not sure why they don't pursue an intimate relationship with another man.

Men's rights movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some of them actually do...

Old 02-15-2013, 03:32 PM

223 posts, read 208,147 times
The trouble with feminisim is, it's become a dirty word.

Most women I know would agree with the feminist doctrine, but decline to label themselves as "feminists", due to the hairy legged, angry, slightly off balance implications the word now carries.

This is unfortunate as the lessons we have learnt are being lost.

I look around at CD threads from young women totally under the spell of some abusive or dismissive man, and it makes my skin crawl. The original feminist lessons of walking on your own two feet, not needing anyone to feel happy or fulfilled, and striving for career or other non-man related achievements, have largely been forgotten.

Britney Spears alone put us back 40 years with her school girl pouting going viral.

Our ancestors who died for the right to vote would be spinning in their graves at the knowledge of Courtney Stodden and other young women who essentially make their living out of appearing to be human barbie dolls of varying quality.

Thanks to all the bad PR, we need a new word for feminism, and that word already exists. It's called "humanism".

If you take the radicals out, all feminists have ever, ever wanted are equal rights. That's it. We don't want to make your testicles into handbags, nor have one of you in every shed. We don't want to "steal" your children or humiliate or rob you in divorce. We just want the same rights as every body else to live our lives as we see fit, without the fear of being beaten up or raped or vilified as a "feminazi".

Now as for the individual arguments we are having here -

I chose not to genitally mutilate either my son or daughter
I would like equal pay for doing equal work but I still don't get it
I don't feel safe walking down the street at night
The male to female violence rate is totally unacceptable and the males are the ones who need to step up to fix it
The courts can and do discriminate against men in child custody disputes and this needs to be addressed BUT -
Men need to be mindful that she probably wouldn't be trying to stop them seeing their kids unless she had some very serious concerns indeed about their behaviour, which includes ignoring or attempting to shirk financial responsibilty, and any behaviour within the marriage or in the aftermath.

My own dear ex husband threw everything he could at me, except going for custody. Years later I asked him why not. His answer? "I didn't want them". And of course he didn't, as they were 3 and 7 at the time and would've interfered with his batchelor life. It went without question that I got full custody, and that suited him down to the ground.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:49 PM

599 posts, read 954,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't know about other people, but we discussed our careers and future goals. There was no getting a college degree just to get a degree, no forethought. And while I understand that men generally earn more than women census does not report wildly different people coupling up. The blue collar worker is marrying the pink collar worker. Are they really earning that different in salaries? Based on what I have read, people paying alimony had spouses who were not working. Spouses staying home to raise the kids. That's a decision made by the couple and that decision includes the potential for alimony.
Alimony laws vary by state, but MANY states make no distinction between someone who stayed home to raise kids or someone who worked throughout the marriage. It is based solely on income differential. If a man stayed home for 10 years raising his kids then went back to work, at the time of divorce the only thing that matters is income.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:54 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,219,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonds&pearls View Post

Most women I know would agree with the feminist doctrine, but decline to label themselves as "feminists", due to the hairy legged, angry, slightly off balance implications the word now carries.
Because of sweaty-faced pigs like Rush Percocet-brained Sexually Depraved Micro-dicked Macro-flatulent Verbally Diarrhetic Limbaugh and the mush-craniumed slack-jawed douchecanoe misogynistic morons who drool in unison with him.

Oh, was that strident of me? Sorry!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,784,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonds&pearls View Post

This is unfortunate as the lessons we have learnt are being lost.

I look around at CD threads from young women totally under the spell of some abusive or dismissive man, and it makes my skin crawl. The original feminist lessons of walking on your own two feet, not needing anyone to feel happy or fulfilled, and striving for career or other non-man related achievements, have largely been forgotten.

What are you talking about? I hear(and read) women all the time talking about their extensive educations, their good jobs, and their sole home ownership. Are these women lying? I would think that these are the glory days for any feminist.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:45 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,216,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Alimony laws vary by state, but MANY states make no distinction between someone who stayed home to raise kids or someone who worked throughout the marriage. It is based solely on income differential. If a man stayed home for 10 years raising his kids then went back to work, at the time of divorce the only thing that matters is income.
The problem would be that he could have a difficult time getting back into the workforce because of the gap and he certainly would not have a salary comparable to someone with ten more years of experience and that situation can result in alimony. That's a choice the couple made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships