Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
As for making a scene when you leave...I think that's kind of childish and makes you look like a horses ass. Just break up with her. "This isn't working out for me, have a great life" and walk off. In my opinion, that will hurt her worse. She'll always wonder WTF happened.
In my opinion, even the bolded piece is a bit more than she deserves. Pack your bags and just be off on your new life one day/night when she comes home. Ignore calls, don't reply to emails. She'll know why you left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 11:12 AM

272 posts, read 621,030 times
Hopefully the OP realizes his relationship is doomed and is planning accordingly. It's unfortunate that people have to live through crap like this.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
In my opinion, even the bolded piece is a bit more than she deserves. Pack your bags and just be off on your new life one day/night when she comes home. Ignore calls, don't reply to emails. She'll know why you left.
Well the "have a great life" should be said with sarcasm...not sincerity.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
Major league bad advice from a woman trying to persuade a guy to use a double standard. I know of no woman in his situation who would just say "okay, i wish you luck" and cooly walk away. No way, not after a three year committed/exclusive relationship. She would blow up to the point of me thinking I may need to call the cops just to defuse the situation. You know that as well as I do.
Okay, then as a man, I'll second that advice. There is NO POINT WHATSOEVER in making a scene. Just move on. And I know of a few women who would cooly walk away. You're trying to put people into a box, but the "one size fits all" approach simply does not work with human behavior.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Well the "have a great life" should be said with sarcasm...not sincerity.
Yeah, I know what you meant. I guess really the point I was making is that he doesn't owe an explanation at all. Not even a "this isn't working out." Just move on and let her figure it out on her own.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,013,319 times
Quote:
You don't think like a woman.

If a man walked out on me with little to no explanation that would hurt MUCH worse and drive me freakin' nuts, more so than if there was a reason, fight, issue...etc.
haha, good try. When I was younger, I got caught cheating in addition to having friends being caught, and it's never a pretty scene in almost every case. No this is not speculation, its from front line experience. And I've grown from it.... what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,620 times
Quote:
I don't really understand what you are asking here. Do you want advice on what to do? Dump her.

You don't owe her an explanation at all. You aren't married to her so there is no reason to try and work things out. You felt you were justified in searching through her computer, she felt she was justified in cheating behind your back. I can't see how this would be repaired.

As for making a scene when you leave...I think that's kind of childish and makes you look like a horses ass. Just break up with her. "This isn't working out for me, have a great life" and walk off. In my opinion, that will hurt her worse. She'll always wonder WTF happened.
Nailed it and I agree with all but the last, if she asks I would tell her why. I would not however allow her to draw me into any argument whatsoever.

These types of situations can tend to push you toward becoming the worst possible version of yourself but you are or should be a gentleman and this includes in adversity or at your extremity. She has given up all honor, try as best you can not to give up yours.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yeah, I know what you meant. I guess really the point I was making is that he doesn't owe an explanation at all. Not even a "this isn't working out." Just move on and let her figure it out on her own.
Exactly. She'll know why you left. Don't even allow her the undeserved opportunity to defend herself (aka lie). Do you really want to hear that?

Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophead View Post
My GF and I have been in a comitted (so I thought) relationship for three years.. For the past of couple month or so there have been nights with her coming in from work later than normal and a general "odd feel" between us. I'm a very trusting person but last night I decided to drive by where she said she'd be-watching the kids of a friend. No car, parents home, hmmm. I finally said "screw it", went back home and popped on her computer. After a quick search for "*.jpg" my fears were confirmed-penis pics. They were even forwarded to her email from her phone, so these were texted to her and "saved".

This person is someone that she knows from before we were together and occasionally pops by.

OK, now what. Yeah-I crossed "the line" but now I'm in a situation of knowing what's up and her now asking me "what's wrong". I did my best of trying to act like I saw nothing but that pretty much failed.

How the hell do I tactfully step into this ****storm of a situation?

Thanks for listening, I joined this forum for the hope of some words of advice.

-D
What you should have done was just address the "odd feel" when it happened. Failing that, you should have confronted her about her not actually babysitting.

But now you've gone and violated her privacy, so there is no tactful way to step into this. Just repeat your first paragraph to her, replacing "she" and "her" with "you." Also explain that you know how very wrong you were to go snooping on her computer and how terrible you feel about violating her privacy that way. Acknowledge that the ends don't justify the means, and you know you shouldn't have done that. When she calms down--because yes, she'll probably be upset--bring the subject back to her cheating.

Or just dump her lying, cheating arse. That's would I would do.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
haha, good try. When I was younger, I got caught cheating in addition to having friends being caught, and it's never a pretty scene in almost every case. No this is not speculation, its from front line experience. And I've grown from it.... what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
And yet you didn't address my point. You are thinking like a man...all your experiences that you have stated are about MEN being caught cheating on their girlfriends.

I'm telling you that with women, silence speaks louder than any words he could ever say to her or pissy fit he could have. If he has a fit, she has power over him and his emotions. If he casually walks away it will eat her up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships