Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,068,055 times

Advertisements

I have read so much on here about women saying we need to let the man lead. And while this is true, I think to an extent (please feel free to disagree with me) this is fear based thinking. How do I be more assertive in a subtle way? I seem to have two speeds, so passive I come off as cold , uncaring (which is ironic because I am a very passionate woman) or so aggressive I'm like a mack truck. Of course the mack truck is a bit too masculine and has not worked well for me. I know in the past focusing on my life and really having a life without faking it has helped as has being in the right place right time , which we don't have much control over. I think dressing a little sexier (not sl*tty) will help. But how to be assertive with texting and arranging dates, etc. once I'm at that stage? And how much truth is there to "if he likes you you can do no wrong?" Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times
I don't think women need to let the man lead. I don't. Be yourself and you'll attract a man who is appropriate.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,694,644 times
You know what its a matter of finding out what works for you. Ladies can let the guy take the lead, ladies themselves can take the lead, or go for a give and take approach. I think its a matter of what is comfortable no need to feel like you have to railroad yourself.

I think the "rules" only matter if you feel they apply. Men and women are not monolithic hive minds some stuff work some stuff won't its just a matter of finding what works.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,702 times
People have flaws. If he likes you, I feel he'd like you despite your flaws. But you're human and he's human and both can do wrong. Can you forgive and work through it?

Also, what findly said. I think there's too many formulas on life and relationships and it leads to game playing because no two people are exactly alike. I think it's better to learn from your partner if it's about them.

I need to feel like my assertiveness is accepted by my mate because I can't play submissive and weak-willed all my life. I tried that, it's stifling, I'm not doing it again. There has to be growth and change for me. I care about my mate and his opinions, his views, his feelings on things and so we work together and compromise on things, but I'm not short changing myself in the process. It's team work.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 AM

237 posts, read 440,777 times
Its all about timing and finding guys who fit with both your personality and your desires, because believe it or not but some guys get turned on by women who play hot one minute and cold the next (strange as it is.)

Edit: Oh and if you want to be more assertive than just cast aside all pre-disposed notions of rejection and what have you and just set up the dates. It may require that you initiate first contact but the worst he will say is no.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,663,909 times
Just be yourself. Always follow your heart.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 AM

165 posts, read 274,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I don't think women need to let the man lead. I don't. Be yourself and you'll attract a man who is appropriate.
Most women that aren't brainwashed with feminist BS like their man to lead. Drop subtle hints of what you want and if he knows women well, he'll read and lead.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,287,155 times
I like a woman who is a bit assertive. I'm in management at my job, so I'm making decisions on a daily basis. At the same time, my personal life and my career life are two separate identities. When I come home I want to be able to have fun. A woman who can take some load off of me is a woman that I could settle down with.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
There is nothing inherently wrong with a woman taking initiative or being assertive. It can even be attractive and sexy!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 AM

1,755 posts, read 2,998,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprince18 View Post
Most women that aren't brainwashed with feminist BS like their man to lead. Drop subtle hints of what you want and if he knows women well, he'll read and lead.
Can't it also be said that most women who aren't brainwashed to believe that they are to be docile like to have a say? That if they are blunt and upfront he can clearly get the message and do what you ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships