Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:31 AM

964 posts, read 3,160,777 times

Advertisements

I want to be more assertive and more in charge without trying too be too revolving around myself. What are your suggestions for improvement, or should I really not change myself?

Granted, I don't want to try and be someone I'm not, but I want to be able to leave my comfort zone and be more in control around women
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,399,226 times
Force yourself to maintain eye contact especially when the other person initiates it.

That's probably the single most difficult and most positive thing you can do, assuming you're a shy person.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
If you're asking for advice on how to be assertive, you're kinda missing the point.

Aka, you just do it.

Being assertive means you have an opinion, and right or wrong, approved or not, you express it. It doesn't mean you are rude or aggressive, it just means you do not hesitate in the face of possible criticism or mistake.

So, for example:

Not being assertive: You were in the bathroom, and I didn't know what you wanted to drink. So I waited.

Being assertive: You were in the bathroom, and I remembered you said you liked wine, so I ordered you a glass of chardonney.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 AM

Oh I have no problem with eye contact >_> I've eyed a lot of women and some have eyed me

So in a nutshell, is the same as speaking your mind to someone without being rude or over the top?

Although, I have a question about your example scarmig. What if it's someone I just met and we went out on a date and just getting acquainted, if I didn't know what she had wanted, do I still make a suggestion or would that be too risky?

Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 AM

302 posts, read 607,966 times
My suggestion is ...
Do not change yourself for other people OR think that perhaps it will entice someone to take more interest in you. Those are the wrong reasons!!! Not only will you not be true to yourself, but to the other person either.

I applaud the fact that you have considered to make changes to your personality...
The key is balance and sometimes that's difficult to distinguish how the other person may interpret it.

Give it a try...be a little more assertive and more in charge (without revolving too much around yourself). "Nothing ventured...nothing gained"

As, Tony Robbins says "Stop the insanity. If you keep doing what you are doing and don't like the results that you're getting...then change what you're doing" - It's just that SIMPLE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croye22 View Post
I want to be more assertive and more in charge without trying too be too revolving around myself. What are your suggestions for improvement, or should I really not change myself?

Granted, I don't want to try and be someone I'm not, but I want to be able to leave my comfort zone and be more in control around women

Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 AM

I don't think I have too much of a problem, but it's more on the lines of me not flat out saying something rather than beat around the bush with it.

that's really the only thing about myself that I wanted to improve. there's a few others, but they're for my own benefit rather than someone else's.

so if I'm in a conversation with a girl, it's ok to talk about similar stories, but not necessary focus it on myself?

For example:

Girl: Ooh, you should go see New Moon

Me: (In my head) You've got to be kidding me, right?
: (Actual words) Well, I've seen trailers of it and all, and it does seem interesting. I definitely may go see it.

Like I'd instantly agree on it rather than just give my opinion since i didn't want the girl to think i'm a jerk :P

Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Try taking a more playful approach. You can still get your point across with a warm smile and asking some sincere questions to get to know the person you are intersted in. No need to be in total control, need some give and take.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 AM

Got you.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:05 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Don't try to improve yourself.

Don't try to be more confident around people, and don't try to be flirty.

Instead, become confident in who you are, and accept yourself for that, warts and all.

The rest will come.

Confidence is key.

you can achieve anything if you believe.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 AM

Yeah ^_^

I feel more powered now.

Btw, don't have warts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships