Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 08:36 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times

Advertisements

Facebook has changed the way a lot of things are done... some good some bad.

One of the bad things is that psychologists are seeing a flood of new patients reporting depression and self esteem issues related to sites like FB... they even coined some new phrase because of it. People feel inadequate because their lives aren't "fabulous" like they read on FB... no trips to Italy, no vineyard taste testing and the latest and greatest from the most hip chefs that dominate the Food network.

I find the opposite to be more true for my life.

I find that I got lucky.

I find that reading the FB postings from the people I grew up with I find that I got out and moved on and I am thankful for that.

I grew up poor and from a broken home.

I never went without food but I was definitely on the lower economic side of the tracks.

Most of the guys I grew up with had kids young, dropped out of HS ended up working menial jobs, heck a couple of guys I hung with are dead..... died from drug overdoses....

The point I'm making and I'm not bragging.... I'm lucky.... trust me when I say this.

I was able to step outside of that world, went to school, got an education, got a good job. I had some lucky breaks along the way and I am in no way saying that I didn't have a hand up... a hand up is not a hand out and I think everyone deserves a hand up in life and I hope one day to be able to return the favor that was extended to me. I guess what I'm saying is that I've been lucky, and I find facebook has shown me that I'm lucky I was just reading some posts by some of the people I grew up with. She was talking about working at fast food place and complaining about the manager on her case... nothing against fast food per se, I'm just lucky in that I have job skills that are in demand and if I get too much grief I'll tell them to pound sand cause I can get a job tomorrow.

I think that sometimes people focus on the bad of technology, the bad being that some people compare their lives to those on a site like FB and feel bad... I think sometimes you can see a site like FB and see that it's mostly crapola and can see the good and the bad in their own situations objectively.

Do others have fab lives... yeah, I suppose, do others have crappy lives.. yeah again, I suppose.

For me I see the good and the bad and am thankful what I do have.....

Gratitude is the order of the day.

Can anyone else relate to this????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 08:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Gratitude is the order of the day, but it took me a long time to learn that.

"Never compare your behind-the-scenes to someone else's highlight reel."

Old 01-18-2015, 08:46 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,846,992 times
It all depends on your personal outlook. There will always be others with more, and there will be others with less. But what matters is if YOU are happy with what you have and where you're at. That's the only thing under YOUR control anyway.

Plus, things are not always as they appear to be with others, so why worry or obsess about it.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:49 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
I can't really relate with how you feel per se....but I do agree that spending too much time on Facebook can cause issues depending on the person.

I am guilty of this....my life isn't "exciting" like a lot of people express on Facebook. I actually took an almost year long break from it because it wasn't really helping me with my self esteem issues. I kept constantly comparing myself to others and felt left behind. I just recently got back on because I was trying to get my sketches out there. Since I am working and in school, I don't really have time to draw as much as I used to. I'm thinking about getting back off.

People won't admit it, but a lot of them are validated through Facebook, and feel if you aren't getting a thousand likes on a photo, or getting tons of comments, you're not worth anything. It is pretty sad. It seems a lot of people don't take time to really appreciate their lives and its a lot easier to give into negativity than it is to stay positive. I am just speaking from personal experience.

I think that if you are truly confident with where you are and you are content with yourself over all....I think you are golden. A lot of people struggle with finding that inner peace today, including myself. Social media definitely does not help if you are in that situation.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 PM

19,430 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Gratitude is the order of the day, but it took me a long time to learn that.

"Never compare your behind-the-scenes to someone else's highlight reel."
How have I never heard this before?

Old 01-18-2015, 08:59 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I can't really relate with how you feel per se....but I do agree that spending too much time on Facebook can cause issues depending on the person.

I am guilty of this....my life isn't "exciting" like a lot of people express on Facebook. I actually took an almost year long break from it because it wasn't really helping me with my self esteem issues. I kept constantly comparing myself to others and felt left behind. I just recently got back on because I was trying to get my sketches out there. Since I am working and in school, I don't really have time to draw as much as I used to. I'm thinking about getting back off.

People won't admit it, but a lot of them are validated through Facebook, and feel if you aren't getting a thousand likes on a photo, or getting tons of comments, you're not worth anything. It is pretty sad. It seems a lot of people don't take time to really appreciate their lives and its a lot easier to give into negativity than it is to stay positive. I am just speaking from personal experience.

I think that if you are truly confident with where you are and you are content with yourself over all....I think you are golden. A lot of people struggle with finding that inner peace today, including myself. Social media definitely does not help if you are in that situation.
Your post highlights what I'm talking about.

I was just telling Mrs. Chow that I thought you are a smart and well put together young lady.... You're doing fine, just keep on keeping on and you'll be ok.

Don't compare yourself to anyone, especially Facebook... I think people lie and try to make themselves look much better than they really are. Mrs. Chow has a niece and she's always updating her FB page and if you read her page you'd think she the most fabulous thing... she's not.. she's an azzhat of the highest order... she uses her kids in a Münchhausen by proxy type of thing.. she's got a couple of disabled kids and she uses them to soak up "sympthay" it's sickening, actually...

She doesn't do any of the heavy lifting when it comes to the day to day care of her kids, her husband and her MIL do all the hard "work" of taking care of her kids, but on FB she's lauded as Mother Teresa.....

Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:

I can feel myself using CD in the same way sometimes, lol.

I agree with Chow. I always enjoy your posts. You seem like a great person. Keep up with the way you're going. I get the feeling things will work out very well for you.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:29 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Your post highlights what I'm talking about.

I was just telling Mrs. Chow that I thought you are a smart and well put together young lady.... You're doing fine, just keep on keeping on and you'll be ok.

Don't compare yourself to anyone, especially Facebook... I think people lie and try to make themselves look much better than they really are. Mrs. Chow has a niece and she's always updating her FB page and if you read her page you'd think she the most fabulous thing... she's not.. she's an azzhat of the highest order... she uses her kids in a Münchhausen by proxy type of thing.. she's got a couple of disabled kids and she uses them to soak up "sympthay" it's sickening, actually...

She doesn't do any of the heavy lifting when it comes to the day to day care of her kids, her husband and her MIL do all the hard "work" of taking care of her kids, but on FB she's lauded as Mother Teresa.....
Oh my that is awful.

I can definitely agree that most folks "flex" on Facebook. Mainly the ones who post all the time. Like every few seconds. lol

I know a few people like that, and they really aren't that great IRL. I appreciate the support. I will do my best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I can feel myself using CD in the same way sometimes, lol.

I agree with Chow. I always enjoy your posts. You seem like a great person. Keep up with the way you're going. I get the feeling things will work out very well for you.
Thanks Sea.

In response to your comment. I actually have an album with some of my sketches posted. Feel free to go take a look if you like.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Oh my that is awful.

I can definitely agree that most folks "flex" on Facebook. Mainly the ones who post all the time. Like every few seconds. lol

I know a few people like that, and they really aren't that great IRL. I appreciate the support. I will do my best.

Thanks Sea.

In response to your comment. I actually have an album with some of my sketches posted. Feel free to go take a look if you like.
Very nice. I like them!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Eh I really don't care to compete with falsehoods.See that friend at that great scenic vacation spot.....husband is rich but he is doing another women, the kid is in therapy, other kid on drugs, company is laundring money, and the dog ran away with the spoon.Fairytales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships