Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can men and women be real friends?
Yes 43 75.44%
No 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,532,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I knew from the beginning that me and my friend would never date. There just wasn't any type of chemistry or attraction at all between us and nearly 15 years later there still isn't anything there. I do have a deep, ridiculous love for him (and vice versa) but it's not romantic.
It is great you could achieve that. I always found i have more understanding (striclty friendly i mean) with men than with women. I mean, sexual attraction aside, i do get along better with men. I do have female friends, though, much more female friends that men friends. But, ironically, my best friend is currently a guy (gay, but a guy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
so basically u back up my argument, unless u are attracted to your mom or sister. No where did i say women are only good for one thing. All i said was that i cant be friends with girls I am attracted to. Thats it, sure i can have pleasant conversations with them about everyday life, but im not actively hanging out with them in a friends setting. Just dont see the point. You admit that u werent attracted to many of ur female friends

True, but I also wouldn't tell you to go be friends with someone who you couldn't be around because you were so attracted too. Looking back now, I've only had two female friends (I'll be 38 in june) whom I was attracted to. One of them not even that much. One of them died in a car accident years ago. She was the one that I was slightly attracted to. The other, I am still friends with today. Like I said, we had talked about it, but we realized that we would/ could ruin our friendship. Having friendship (for us), this is all subjective wasn't worth losing. I can guarantee you that we would not have lasted long and we would still not be friends had we gotten together. Our personalities were just too similar. I think that is something that we both felt. Make great friends though. And you know what I can honestly say, she has NEVER gone behind my back to say anything bad about me.Never. I mean that too. If someone would talk sh t about me, she would tell me. She's the only friend I can say that about man or female..

I can't speak for you or anyone else. If you don't think that you could handle it, then who am I to argue. Certainly you know yourself better than I do. I can only speak on behalf of my own life and experiences.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 PM

249 posts, read 312,686 times
My best friend in the whole universe is a beautiful lesbian. I'm straight....but I would have both sex,and marry her in a heart beat if I could.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM

368 posts, read 577,722 times
The man would have to be in a happy relationship already or the women would have to be unattractive. I just can't see a single man being friends with a women he finds attractive lol.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,532,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
The man would have to be in a happy relationship already or the women would have to be unattractive. I just can't see a single man being friends with a women he finds attractive lol.
Not even a married man can be friends with a women he finds attractive, apparently

Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Not even a married man can be friends with a women he finds attractive, apparently

You didnt' get the memo. It's extremely cool to have no self control!

Like, if your not a man with a rock hard "you know what" from every girl that walks by, then your just not a man.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
Is it possible for men and women to be friends?

Indubitably.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:47 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times
For me, I can, but it's difficult to keep going. I was hanging out with a coworker, sometimes just her and I, and sometimes as a group, and things got awkward. I thought she was attractive and dating material, but since we're coworkers, I would never go down that road. I had even told her we were hanging out as friends, but me wanting to converse with her ultimately freaked her out. We didn't talk for a month, but one day we got on the elevator together and it was like she wasn't on the elevator with me. She hated how she felt and apologized for how she acted. It's like we never skipped a beat talking. I just told her she hurt my feelings by dropped off conversation, because she perceived something that wasn't truly there. Her hangup is she tried it with other guys and they all wanted more. Truth is, would I turn the situation down if an advance was made? Likely not. I just value friendship more than just someone to date. She's really good company and pretty nerdy. She's good looking and being out with good looking friends is always a plus, even when you're not dating each other.

She admitted that she's tried just friends with the opposite sex and it hasn't worked very well in the past. Honestly, it doesn't really work all that well, but in some instances it can. I think you don't need a ton of opposite sex friends, but some to keep your game tight is necessary.

Like I always say, it's too easy to ruin a good thing these days, becuase of prior experiences. I'm eating crow for it right now. You have to keep your prior experiences at bay if you're ever going to gain friendships in the future. No one likes to be compared to someone else.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
so what do you do with ur friends that are girls? Shop? talk about their outfits? I dont really see the point in being friends with girls I'm attracted to. Its like being an alcoholic and hanging out with friends at a bar. I'm friends with my friend's girlfriends. But I'm not friends with any single girls that I am attracted to. None that i would call up on a phone and hang out with.
Im with you on this one. If I find a woman attractive, I really have ZERO interest in being totally platonic. If its a work place relationship, I'll chat her up b/c we're stuck in a common place. But I would like to think if we werent coworkers and maybe the drinks were flying, we could do something

A few years ago I had about 3 woman that considered me a platonic friend and that bothered me. They would talk to me about their dates and love life and I used to sit and wonder "why in the world do they think i wanna hear about these things." I didnt like the idea of them treating me the way they would a gay male friend. And I dont like to talk sports with women either so no need to continue. I cut them all off w/o a trace.
Bottom line, I got plenty of male friends to talk about sports with, dating and my everyday life. They serve a purpose and the good looking woman I meet serve another. As CHris Rock once said, "female friends are just women you havnt f-----d yet".

Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,482 times
I've got 4 good female friends right now. All single, 3 of them hot. The non-hot one has a crush on me and so far just being friends has worked out, although I am getting sick of her propositioning me. The other three dont seem attracted to me and anyways, I dont really want any right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships