Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 PM

31 posts, read 60,559 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Just a simple question: Where do people of the ages 18-23 meet people within their age-group in terms of dating besides bars and clubs...if such places exist?

Is everyone in this (my) age-group promiscuous and think of themselves as orangutans giving massages to the first fine thing it sees? Or is it possible to pursue a meaningful relationship

Its obvious to me that online dating is a fools errand. I just have no idea how people get into relationships my age...where is this magical place?

I also lack basic skills like flirting and whatnot. How does one acquire such skill-set without cheat codes or hookers, while still maintaining their nerdidom?

Teach me, O Wise Grasshoppah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 PM
M45

405 posts, read 653,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzillameister View Post
Hello.

Just a simple question: Where do people of the ages 18-23 meet people within their age-group in terms of dating besides bars and clubs...if such places exist?

Is everyone in this (my) age-group promiscuous and think of themselves as orangutans giving massages to the first fine thing it sees? Or is it possible to pursue a meaningful relationship

Its obvious to me that online dating is a fools errand. I just have no idea how people get into relationships my age...where is this magical place?

I also lack basic skills like flirting and whatnot. How does one acquire such skill-set without cheat codes or hookers, while still maintaining their nerdidom?
We have two Mexican restaurants on each side of the area....both of the same name....used to be owned by the same guy but I'm not sure anymore.

Go there on a Friday or Saturday night. One is located next to a movie theature too. Take your pic of that age group......more then you can count.

I blew it when I was younger and either didn't know or was too stupid to see it.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 PM

837 posts, read 960,925 times
Volunteering or signing up for meet ups in things that interest you. Walk puppies at the local shelter, there's a ton of cute women hanging around the one down town here.

The gym. Gallery crawls every first Friday of the month (if your city/town has this).

And here's a pretty diverse list! http://www.howaboutwe.com/date-repor...he-bar-scene/#

Old 04-30-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
Volunteering or signing up for meet ups in things that interest you. Walk puppies at the local shelter, there's a ton of cute women hanging around the one down town here.

The gym. Gallery crawls every first Friday of the month (if your city/town has this).

And here's a pretty diverse list! 50 Places to Meet People (When You’re Over the Bar Scene) | HowAboutWe - Date Report
The meetups I've done have women over their 30's. MAYBE late 20's. Definitely older than me.

Go to the gym...and...? Girls there are on their bikes with headphones. Do I just go "Hello, ladies. Wana smell my swetty armpits full of testosterone" in a Johnny Bravo voice? I can do that.

Volunteering seems difficult round these parts. Need all sorts of verification that I don't have time for. Besides, its BS that I have to fill out a job application to VOLUNTEER. F*** that!

For that list:

I have a very small cat that would most likely get eaten by dogs...though will try its earnest to make BFF's with it first. Plus, dogs are a pain in the a**. They poo everywhere.

I am an uncoordinated Chimp.

How do you meet people at an art museum? Sounds like a great skit for a British sketch show.

No comment on 4-6. That's just retarded.

I r teh Jew clan.

And so is the rest of that rubbish list.
"Cheering on your local soccer league — fans are few, but fervent." ...in the US? lol

Summary of the list: Live and somehow people flock in your general direction.

I somehow doubt the validity of that assumption. I've been following that advice for 23 years and its failed so far.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Hello.

Teach me, O Wise Grasshoppah!

actually, i had great luck online and met some really cool people.

although, i still think just approaching women works best. i can't imagine you have trouble meeting women, there are women everywhere you go.. so if you're having trouble and whining.. it's because you're not talking to the good looking ones you see.

and if by "being nerdy" you mean wearing girl pants and big glasses.. well that's just stupid. also, if you plan to sit around and talk about anime or video games, just as lame.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post

The gym.
the above theories on how to meet ppl to date are bunk. i've been an active member of many different meetups for over a decade now, since my early 20s. i've joined (and left) all kinds of groups - networking, social, singles, hiking groups etc etc. overwhelmingly (>98% if i had to put a number on it) the women and men are in their mid 30s and up. the few young women that show up once in a blue moon usually never show up again, once they find out that the crowd is so much older.

so, OP - if you're looking to meet girls in the 18-23 age range, meetup will be a huge waste of your time.

as for gyms - been an active gym goer at multiple gyms in both LA and NYC for 15 yrs and counting. the vast majority of women simply do not want to be bothered by men (and rightfully so) at the gym, and you'll only look like a creep if you try. i've never seen a guy successfully pick up a chic at a gym. ever! i'm sure it happens in some cases - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, after all - but i don't think it's at all common.

the best way today to meet ppl is the same as it has been for as long as we can remember - through friends and family, or, if you have the looks and/or charm, at venues where young women congregate (think bars, nightclubs, concerts, university campuses).

in all my years just about every guy i met that had any kind of success in dating met women in these ways, most of the time.

oh, and finally - i'm assuming you're a guy? if yes, don't seek advice from women on how to meet women. consult them on how to keep a relationship goin, but for meeting women, i'd suggest you try and learn from other men that've had some success in this arena instead. even in this day and age, women are still much more passive in the mating ritual than men (on average), so if you're a guy their advice won't do you much good because they experience the game from a different perspective.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
actually, i had great luck online and met some really cool people.

although, i still think just approaching women works best. i can't imagine you have trouble meeting women, there are women everywhere you go.. so if you're having trouble and whining.. it's because you're not talking to the good looking ones you see.

and if by "being nerdy" you mean wearing girl pants and big glasses.. well that's just stupid. also, if you plan to sit around and talk about anime or video games, just as lame.
The approaching part is the unknown factor that I have yet to have any level of mastery... What do you do at a very loud and obnoxious bar where all I hear is terrible Top 40 music sung by untalented hacks? Conversations are mostly "WHAT?". I feel like an obnoxious Wrestling fan.

And "dancing" at a night club seems entirelly unappealing. Seems to me like a bunch of women wanting 'a good time dancing' while giving out free lapdances in the dance floor via grinding "dance moves"....and then wonder why guys are hitting on them.

These seem to be the only venues where people actively seek out other people. Everywhere else is happenstance...which I have awful luck at.

Plus, why the f*** would I wear girly pants? I have more hair than most chimps, as I'm practically The Missing Link.

I'm in a nerd in the sense that I say Frak instead of f*** because of watching too much Battlestar Galactica. And I love hacking and toying with electronic devices.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
The approaching part is the unknown factor that I have yet to have any level of mastery... What do you do at a very loud and obnoxious bar where all I hear is terrible Top 40 music sung by untalented hacks? Conversations are mostly "WHAT?". I feel like an obnoxious Wrestling fan.

And "dancing" at a night club seems entirelly unappealing. Seems to me like a bunch of women wanting 'a good time dancing' while giving out free lapdances in the dance floor via grinding "dance moves"....and then wonder why guys are hitting on them.

These seem to be the only venues where people actively seek out other people. Everywhere else is happenstance...which I have awful luck at.

Plus, why the f*** would I wear girly pants? I have more hair than most chimps, as I'm practically The Missing Link.

I'm in a nerd in the sense that I say Frak instead of f*** because of watching too much Battlestar Galactica.

ur already annoying the **** out of me, maybe you annoy other people too.

i never said approach women at loud obnoxious bars, i never even suggested going to a place like that. just approach good looking women that you see in your every day situations. if you see someone, talk to her.. easy as that.

if you're going to keep making excuses, you'll never get anywhere.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
ur already annoying the **** out of me, maybe you annoy other people too.

i never said approach women at loud obnoxious bars, i never even suggested going to a place like that. just approach good looking women that you see in your every day situations. if you see someone, talk to her.. easy as that.

if you're going to keep making excuses, you'll never get anywhere.
Probably. So, is this line appropriate? "Hey....I like your pants."

You say it as if its easy meeting entirely new and random people without having an excuse.

IF its so simple, then give me a script in how you go aboot it without getting slapped in the street?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Probably. So, is this line appropriate? "Hey....I like your pants."

You say it as if its easy meeting entirely new and random people without having an excuse.

IF its so simple, then give me a script in how you go aboot it?

if you need a script to talk to a new person, you need to work on your basic social skills.

just talk.. have a conversation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships