Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,742 times

Advertisements

The last six months have been happiness, denial, and pain for me. My painful journey started six months ago. I have really liked this guy for a very long time (over a year). He finally stared showing me attention. He is a single father and the days he was free we spent together. We had a lot of fun. I couldn't wait until the next time I would see him. I knew that he had a lot of baggage and I wasn't afraid of it. I saw a caring father and someone that was hurt in the past. I wanted to heal those wounds and to be there for him and his daughter. Sometime in January he just pulled away, overnight. I spent the next week crying my eyes out. I finally asked for us to meet. I felt that I deserved to know what went wrong. He told me that "now is just not a good time". So, being naive I waited. We would still see each other from time to time (once every two weeks or so), but there was definitely something missing. I waited.... Two weeks ago I finally told him that this is not working for me and he asked for a second chance. Again, being naive and wanting it so badly I agreed to it. Today, I am sitting here writing this because things have gotten even worse.

I consider myself a beautiful, educated, strong and independent woman. But, I am very weak when it comes to him. I don't understand why I feel the way I do. I have had real relationships before and had no problem getting out of them when I saw that there is no future there. Last night I put up a list of adjetives I would use to describe him: dishonest, selfish, inconsiderate, careless, moody, unreliable, cowardly, and alcoholic. I asked myself why do you want to be with this person? I am the opposite of all of those. I realized that I want to make him a better person. I want to change him. From day one, I saw someone that was hurting and needed help and I wanted to help him overcome that.

I understand that I need to move on, but how do I do that? I go to sleep thinking about him and I wake up thinking about him. Did I mention that we work together?! He should be leaving for a new job in July, but it's not 100%. I have cried more during these six months then the last five years.

Last edited by QuestForLove; 04-28-2013 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,905,515 times
You can do much better than an alcoholic dad who puts you behind everything else. Just remember that.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,000,737 times
sorry that you had that experience.

When you're ready, you'll get tired of talking about him (hopefully), tired of thinking about him, tired of doing anything to reinforce the memory of him and at some point you'll realize it's all behind you.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestForLove View Post
The last six months have been happiness, denial, and pain for me. My painful journey started six months ago. I have really liked this guy for a very long time (over a year). He finally stared showing me attention. He is a single father and the days he was free we spent together. We had a lot of fun. I couldn't wait until the next time I would see him. I knew that he had a lot of baggage and I wasn't afraid of it. I saw a caring father and someone that was hurt in the past. I wanted to heal those wounds and to be there for him and his daughter. Sometime in January he just pulled away, overnight. I spent the next week crying my eyes out. I finally asked for us to meet. I felt that I deserved to know what went wrong. He told me that "now is just not a good time". So, being naive I waited. We would still see each other from time to time (once every two weeks or so), but there was definitely something missing. I waited.... Two weeks ago I finally told him that this is not working for me and he asked for a second chance. Again, being naive and wanting it so badly I agreed to it. Today, I am sitting here writing this because things have gotten even worse.

I consider myself a beautiful, educated, strong and independent woman. But, I am very weak when it comes to him. I don't understand why I feel the way I do. I have had real relationships before and had no problem getting out of them when I saw that there is no future there. Last night I put up a list of adjetives I would use to describe him: dishonest, selfish, inconsiderate, careless, moody, unreliable, cowardly, and alcoholic. I asked myself why do you want to be with this person? I am the opposite of all of those. I realized that I want to make him a better person. I want to change him. From day one, I saw someone that was hurtling and needed help and I wanted to help him overcome that.

I understand that I need to move on, but how do I do that? I go to sleep thinking about him and I wake up thinking about him. Did I mention that we work together?! He should be leaving for a new job in July, but it's not 100%. I have cried more during these six months then the last five years.

First........REALLY BAD IDEA to have a romance with a co worker, keep your personal life and your business life separate........ALWAYS.

Second: Read the words YOU WROTE about HIM........do you seriously want to be with someone YOU HAVE DESCRIBED THIS WAY?????

Just the first word of your description of him would have put me out the door and the last word would definitely be the one that locked that door forever.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
You walked into this with your eyes open. Now you will have to walk out.

You KNOW, as a strong, educated woman, that you can't change or heal people. You also willingly entered a relationship with someone who 1) you work with who 2) is a single dad.

That's 3 strikes.

To get over him will take work and time. FORCE yourself to think of something else when you think if him. Keep busy. FOCUS on your job. Go places where you meet new people.

DO NOT go back to him.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:24 PM

10,215 posts, read 17,911,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestForLove View Post
I realized that I want to make him a better person. I want to change him. From day one, I saw someone that was hurting and needed help and I wanted to help him overcome that.
You can't change anyone. I think a lot of people have this romantic idea that a troubled individual will just fall so helplessly in love with them that their partner will heal and become a better person. That's the stuff of fairy tales and it's completely unrealistic. The reason you're having trouble getting over him is because your expectations were unrealistic and you fell in love with a fantasy - and also probably because you work with him and have to see him everyday. If getting a transfer at work or a getting a new job isn't an option, all you can do to work passed this is keep reminding yourself that you can't change people and that your feelings weren't based on reality. Also, work towards building up your own self esteem and give yourself some "me" time.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:01 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,779,618 times
Read "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie...you are codependent.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:07 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,451,267 times
I agree you can't change anyone. But I also agree you can't help who you fall in love with. Divorced men are damaged goods especially if they were the ones left by the ex wife, like my husband. How long has he been divorced? My husband had been divorced for decades but I can see the damage/hurt done to him by the ex wife. It sucks because he is a great man. I don't see how the ex got rid of him like that after all he has done for her. But some women are greedy and selfish.

I guess my only suggestion is go out on dates/get a hobby. You can't get over someone if you don't keep yourself preoccupied.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM

249 posts, read 312,930 times
Get shock therapy...

Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,867,337 times
Maybe he's seeing his ex or something. Who knows. You mentioned you wanted to "change" him. That right there probably sent him packing. Not many guys are not into changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships