Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Consider yourself lucky that healthy food is cheap where you live! Produce is expensive where I live and the quality isn't usually great. We have few stores to choose from. I have started saving a lot of money with a co-op. We try to grow our own stuff, but the climate and the wild animals can make that difficult. I only feed two people, generally more whole foods than processed, and it is expensive.
I live in Los Angeles. Food is not cheaper here by any means than in other parts of the country, in fact it's generally more. You just need to know what to look for.

The quality of our produce here is generally wonderful and I do buy and eat fresh wherever I can. My Mexican experiment was more to do the math myself and taste the results (filling or not, etc.) than for a standard veggie meal at my house. I am very lucky that I can eat fresh most of the time. But I was also able to do it, albeit not quite as fresh (but still a whole lot fresher and less refined than pasta), for less than half a dollar per serving.

By the way, if I had eaten the beans from dried (my favored method for sure, I usually simmer them all day for that) it would have been even less than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 11:52 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Again, if you're comparing to bleached, refined wheat, the "sodium" is equal or less for the healthier alternative, the processing is FAR less (I have never eaten de-husked, crushed, powdered, bleached and reconstituted mushrooms) and the nutrients are still FAR more.
Goodie! Those other crappy foods are even worse than the crappy foods that you highlighted as healthy! Nice for them.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That's a good point. I did Ramon for a while, too, when I was really poor. But, I didn't use the mixes that came with them because they always had some meat product. I used a little olive oil and pepper. Still unhealthy lol.

Almost forgot.

Top Seven Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget
When we were watching our grocery budget more carefully (we ate every day, so we were never really poor), I was a SAHM. The time/money balance was not as hard.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Goodie! Those other crappy foods are even worse than the crappy foods that you highlighted as healthy! Nice for them.
Okay, so canned beans and canned mushrooms are "crappy foods" and therefore, the poor should not eat them and should eat the even crappier foods instead?

You're insisting there are no alternatives to eating boxed/drive-through foods for the poor, I'm showing directly that there are...without the fat, with much lower sodium, with much higher fiber, with no high fructose corn syrup, with no MSG and with much higher protein and with vitamins and minerals and WITH LESS EFFORT.

This is your answer? A "ha-ha, no, it's all crap so to heck with trying" sort of answer?

No wonder people stay fat. (And very, very, very sick.)

Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,561,870 times
Quote:
I live in Los Angeles. Food is not cheaper here by any means than in other parts of the country, in fact it's generally more. You just need to know what to look for.

The quality of our produce here is generally wonderful and I do buy and eat fresh wherever I can. My Mexican experiment was more to do the math myself and taste the results (filling or not, etc.) than for a standard veggie meal at my house. I am very lucky that I can eat fresh most of the time. But I was also able to do it, albeit not quite as fresh (but still a whole lot fresher and less refined than pasta), for less than half a dollar per serving.
Cost aside, you still have access to a wider variety of higher quality fresh food. Please don't try to deny that! LOL Of course deals can be found and you have to know what to look for, but it is far from cheap for us to eat healthy, fresh food. I won't compare it to living on processed food and junk because I don't really know what that stuff costs these days. However, you don't generally find coupons for produce.

Salaries are also pretty low where I live but the cost of living is not in line with that. People have to make sacrifices on a limited budget.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,205,749 times
Quote:
When we were watching our grocery budget more carefully (we ate every day, so we were never really poor), I was a SAHM. The time/money balance was not as hard.
I've been soup kitchen poor. That's where it gets very difficult to eat vegetarian. Anyhow, if you can be home to manage it that's key. But, ultimately it's a cultural thing. As you noted, in poor neighborhoods there is limited access to healthy food. Some neighborhoods don't have grocery stores. And then how we're raised, as it pertains to food, comes into play. There are a lot of variables at work.

Quote:
Okay, so canned beans and canned mushrooms are "crappy foods" and therefore, the poor should not eat them and should eat the even crappier foods instead?
Really?

Quote:
You're insisting there are no alternatives to eating boxed/drive-through foods for the poor, I
No I am not actually. I am saying that punitive insurance pricing based on obesity is a bad idea until we work out a decent public food policy. I have said that several times. I am not sure why you have decided to attribute other motives to me. If you were to graph health benefits against cost, you would see a rise in cost directly proportional to how good it is for you. You claim that that is a myth because you can eat some stuff that is not quite as crappy as the crappiest. While your claim may be true, it is not worth much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Cost aside, you still have access to a wider variety of higher quality fresh food. Please don't try to deny that! LOL Of course deals can be found and you have to know what to look for, but it is far from cheap for us to eat healthy, fresh food. I won't compare it to living on processed food and junk because I don't really know what that stuff costs these days. However, you don't generally find coupons for produce.

Salaries are also pretty low where I live but the cost of living is not in line with that. People have to make sacrifices on a limited budget.
Oh I don't, as I said above, I buy fresh (and delicious!) whenever I can and I am very lucky to do so.

I definitely am not denying that. I feel very lucky.

But I also feel lucky to have been able to educate myself on all this.

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
eating healthy or poor wont do much for you if your day consists of walking just to sit back down again.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Really?

No I am not actually. I am saying that punitive insurance pricing based on obesity is a bad idea until we work out a decent public food policy. I have said that several times. I am not sure why you have decided to attribute other motives to me. If you were to graph health benefits against cost, you would see a rise in cost directly proportional to how good it is for you. You claim that that is a myth because you can eat some stuff that is not quite as crappy as the crappiest. While your claim may be true, it is not worth much.
Um, well, that's weird since I never said insurance premiums should be higher based on food choices, and in fact I directly said they should not be (please read).

As for the last sentence: higher protein, much lower (even none, in some cases) fat, naturall-occuring fiber, VERY cheap cost, extreme ease of preparation, extremely easy access, less obesity and less disease, higher vitamin and mineral content are "not worth much"?

Again, no wonder this nation is fat and ill. God it's sad.

I don't "claim" it as a myth, I directly did the math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships