Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 12:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
You can have a low income, yet have a place to grow some of your food. You can be low income and live in a 400 unit apartment complex, where you have no way of growing your food. You can have kids, who are SO picky (or allergic) that the only way you're going to get them to eat, is to feed them "prepared" foods.

When a parent, who is working a low-wage job, puts in 8-10 hrs a day, it can be a nightmare to have to stand in the kitchen, preparing a meal that can take up to 1 hr, especially when they're starving and their children are whining and starving as well.

For instance:

...."but I don't LIKE peas!"

"Get to LEARN to like these frozen peas, because I got a WHOLE lot of them for $0.69 per lb!"
This is the kind of stuff I'm trying to figure out right now. When I go back to work my schedule is going to be rough, so I will need a plan and cooking for an hour or two every night won't work. I'm hoping to start a Sunday ritual where I prepare a majority of the week's food on that day and just heat it up every night.

The second thing is about children and them being picky. My gf told me to be very careful about what I introduced to my daughter. She'll only know what I give her so I can have some control over her pickiness. If I never give her pasta and cheese wiz (a work colleague did that!) she'll never demand it. If I only give her mashed peas, sweet potato, whatever, that's what she'll eat. My friend even warned me about sugary fruits. I'm guessing it's sage advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This is the kind of stuff I'm trying to figure out right now. When I go back to work my schedule is going to be rough, so I will need a plan and cooking for an hour or two every night won't work. I'm hoping to start a Sunday ritual where I prepare a majority of the week's food on that day and just heat it up every night.

The second thing is about children and them being picky. My gf told me to be very careful about what I introduced to my daughter. She'll only know what I give her so I can have some control over her pickiness. If I never give her pasta and cheese wiz (a work colleague did that!) she'll never demand it. If I only give her mashed peas, sweet potato, whatever, that's what she'll eat. My friend even warned me about sugary fruits. I'm guessing it's sage advice.
Yup, cook on Sundays and freeze. Another thing I loved to do when I was working and a single parent was to do stir-fry for dinner. You literally chop the vegetables (and the meat or poultry if you'll be adding that), add some seasonings, give it a stir every few minutes for about 10 minutes and you're done. Hours of prep not necessary, and quicker time-wise than getting in the car to get fast food. And just as quick or quicker than Hamburger Helper, mac 'n cheese or even plain pasta (which usually takes 10-12 minutes after taking a few minutes for the water to come to a boil).

Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Trust me, I know this.

I know all of this.

My middle son is autistic. That takes "pickiness" to a whole new level as even the textures of some foods can make an autistic person gag. My son has actually vomited over texture. We have actually had to desensitize him to certain textures over time. A loooooooooooong process.

I have been a single parent. I've slept on the floor and felt lucky for that one floor and for that one room I was able to rent for myself and my son to live our entire lives in for several years. I worked full-time at the same time. So I know all about that, too.
Wow, JerZ. I had no idea. You're a strong woman.

Quote:
I know all the excuses, and then I know the "but I don't like that!" which you stated above, and which is the PERFECT example of why we, and our kids, are so fat and ill in this country. That actually makes the perfect point.
Interesting. I didn't see the post that way, but thanks for pointing it out. I suppose it does makes sense. We are too picky. Really, as a society we're pretty entitled.
Quote:
Yup, cook on Sundays and freeze. Another thing I loved to do when I was working and a single parent was to do stir-fry for dinner. You literally chop the vegetables (and the meat or poultry if you'll be adding that), add some seasonings, give it a stir every few minutes for about 10 minutes and you're done. Hours of prep not necessary, and quicker time-wise than getting in the car to get fast food. And just as quick or quicker than Hamburger Helper, mac 'n cheese or even plain pasta (which usually takes 10-12 minutes after taking a few minutes for the water to come to a boil).
Excellent idea IRT the stir fry. I want a wok, although I have a great pan set. In our house any meat eating will be the expensive alternative. She'll only get good fish, bison or game meat if any. Veg will definitely be the cheaper way to go.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Oh this is my hobby, and a load of fun! If you have Sunday start up, then you are ahead of the game. To what level of healthy you aspire is going to impact your plan as well. My kids are both super athletic. Actually sp are DH and I. So we have things on our menu that you would not see on a menu for weight loss. Some Sunday start up week plans include

- Roast a chicken for dinner on Sunday - and roast 2 more for the week. We tend to eat early on Sunday, like 3:00pm. We invite family or whatever. But also wind up with time to to some prep for the week. Once the meal is cleaned up, put the bones and some onion (no need to peel just quarter) in the crock pot (they are cheap and well worth the investment. Hell if you cannot afford one, PM me. I have like 4.) Chicken meat goes in chicken salad, topping for green salad, enchiladas and/or quesadillas. I make a chicken "shepard pie" if I have leftover mashed potatoes. It is chopped chicken, leftover veggies, some thickened broth, cheese if I have it and topped with the spuds. Chicken pot pie with whatever veggies on hand.

That is an example. Pot roast is another one that you can stick in the slow cooker at the beginning of any day. Make extra, then the things you can do with the leftovers are nearly endless. I am also an OAMC by hobby. Google it.

We take any veggies that are getting a little less than stellar before they need to get thrown out, blanch, puree and freeze. They then are used in soups, hidden in casseroles...

Quote:

Even if you "screw up" anything done that you don't like can be undone. I remember talking to my son and telling him that his pickiness was my fault because I was a neurotic first time Mom. But for his sake, that was going to change...

Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
O

- Roast a chicken for dinner on Sunday - and roast 2 more for the week. We tend to eat early on Sunday, like 3:00pm. We invite family or whatever. But also wind up with time to to some prep for the week. Once the meal is cleaned up, put the bones and some onion (no need to peel just quarter) in the crock pot (they are cheap and well worth the investment. Hell if you cannot afford one, PM me. I have like 4.) Chicken meat goes in chicken salad, topping for green salad, enchiladas and/or quesadillas. I make a chicken "shepard pie" if I have leftover mashed potatoes. It is chopped chicken, leftover veggies, some thickened broth, cheese if I have it and topped with the spuds. Chicken pot pie with whatever veggies on hand.
OMG yum, I love a roasted chicken, and if you buy it whole it is definitely much cheaper. We too use the leftovers for enchiladas. We are huge on Mexican over here.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM

Thanks ((Branwyn)).

Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Wow, JerZ. I had no idea. You're a strong woman.

Interesting. I didn't see the post that way, but thanks for pointing it out. I suppose it does makes sense. We are too picky. Really, as a society we're pretty entitled.

Excellent idea IRT the stir fry. I want a wok, although I have a great pan set. In our house any meat eating will be the expensive alternative. She'll only get good fish, bison or game meat if any. Veg will definitely be the cheaper way to go.
How much time will you have? Because I had so much time compared to money, I was able to make a price book to be able to understand what the unit price of different foods was. For instance, when chicken thighs came down to 79 cents a pound, we would buy, bone and de-gross and weigh. We would then know what the unit price of the usable meat was. We could then use that info to know when that item was a good buy. Stores put specials on sale to get you IN the store so you will buy other more expensive crap while you are there. But you can get the better of them. Buy out the boneless chicken breast when it comes on sale low, and freeze it in usable portions...

Old 05-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yup, cook on Sundays and freeze. Another thing I loved to do when I was working and a single parent was to do stir-fry for dinner. You literally chop the vegetables (and the meat or poultry if you'll be adding that), add some seasonings, give it a stir every few minutes for about 10 minutes and you're done.
Great idea. Once the kids were big enough, it became family time at our house chopping and cooking together. Breakfast for dinner can be a good one too. Eggs have nice protein and reasonably healthy fat in moderation. Scrambles with veggies and a fruit side...

Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Quote:
Because I had so much time compared to money, I was able to make a price book to be able to understand what the unit price of different foods was.
I was doing some comparison shopping recently and was shocked to see the grocery store I usually go to was less expensive than Wal-Mart in most areas.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Oh this is my hobby, and a load of fun! If you have Sunday start up, then you are ahead of the game. To what level of healthy you aspire is going to impact your plan as well. My kids are both super athletic. Actually sp are DH and I. So we have things on our menu that you would not see on a menu for weight loss. Some Sunday start up week plans include

That is an example. Pot roast is another one that you can stick in the slow cooker at the beginning of any day. Make extra, then the things you can do with the leftovers are nearly endless. I am also an OAMC by hobby. Google it.

We take any veggies that are getting a little less than stellar before they need to get thrown out, blanch, puree and freeze. They then are used in soups, hidden in casseroles...
I do have a crock pot (but thanks! I'm no longer in financial destitution) that I don't use often and need to figure out what kind of dishes to prepare. My house is going to be primarily vegetarian, which dampens crock pot ideas to a degree imo, but I will look into veg stews. I do use Quorn as a meat alternative, which is mushroom type product ($$$), but they're better frozen to immediately cooked.

I'll review what can be frozen well, what will keep for a few days in the fridge, and then have a small fresh stock. My friend also told me that making my own baby food, if possible, is best since baby food can be very expensive. There is so much planning to do!

Quote:
Even if you "screw up" anything done that you don't like can be undone. I remember talking to my son and telling him that his pickiness was my fault because I was a neurotic first time Mom. But for his sake, that was going to change...
lol well, I really have no idea. I'm entirely green and am just learning as I go. She won't be on solids for a while and I have until August to figure out some kind of routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships