Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:18 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,391 times

Advertisements

I've been dating a woman(both on our mid 40's) for 2 yrs. When I really sit back and look at our relationship, it is FWB. We will go out drinking with friends, go shopping together(grocery, etc) when we don't have our kids home from college. We go to concerts, weekend vacations, text, call, talk, etc. But we don't love each other, never have said it anyway, don't live together, don't even spend the night together.

I always thought I'd get married after my divorce, married 18+yrs. But really, is this situation not better than marriage?

I do still feel the urge to be married. Might have to do with religion, what I'm doing is sin.(sex out of wedlock)

Anyone else been in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 03:31 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,771,470 times
No...

Sex without love is not for me.

Sex just to satisfy my immediate needs is not for me.

And I am in my forties.

Old 01-19-2015, 03:35 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
For some, especially as they get older, companionship is more important than other things.

If you both are happy with your arrangement, why worry about what it's called? As long as you're being safe....

Old 01-19-2015, 03:58 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Well, considering I'm not even 5 months out of a 22-year marriage, I say ANYTHING is better than marriage.

Is your current situation better than marriage? Only you can know that. If you haven't been divorced long, it might be perfect for you right now, because you certainly don't want to rush into another marriage.

In the last few months, I've been on dates with four different men who are all divorced from their second wives, whom they married too soon after their first divorces, imo. What this immediately tells me is that a) these guys are terrified of being alone for any length of time, and b) they consequently exercise poor judgement in rushing into other relationships. You'd think that having already gone through one divorce would have made them a little wiser, but apparently not.

DON'T be one of those guys. Take your time, and enjoy your FWB relationship for as long as you want it to last. As for your feelings of guilt about having sex out of wedlock, it's a little late for that, isn't it? And even though casual sex isn't my thing, I think it's better than rushing into an incompatible committed relationship or marriage.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:02 PM

783 posts, read 850,152 times
All of the benefits, none of the legal ramifications or contracts.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:08 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I've been dating a woman(both on our mid 40's) for 2 yrs.........

I do still feel the urge to be married. Might have to do with religion, what I'm doing is sin.(sex out of wedlock)

No. But..

Religious guilt never leave us so says Sister Mary Veronica.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:16 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,620,391 times
Sad thing is that she finishes before I do and she is a "one and done" woman.

There is probably more to it than just "that". There is for me at times, but I think I'm more caring....if you can believe that.

And maybe it's I was burned so bad on my marriage. Hard to trust another when "the one" cheated. W/a hs kid.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:25 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
I don't view FWB as necessarily casual sex - it is definitely a step beyond ONS or booty calls. Someone said you value companionship more than sex as you get older. I think you have sex AND a certain level of companionship since you go out with friends, shop together, etc. Don't beat yourself up too much.

So, two years is a fair length of time...do you want to have a discussion with her? At some point, most FWBs fade when you or your partner get into an exclusive relationship, and you may even revisit if in the future you're both single at the same time. I guess I'm saying to just look at what you have and think about what you really want...and go for it!

Old 01-19-2015, 04:31 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I've been dating a woman(both on our mid 40's) for 2 yrs. When I really sit back and look at our relationship, it is FWB. We will go out drinking with friends, go shopping together(grocery, etc) when we don't have our kids home from college. We go to concerts, weekend vacations, text, call, talk, etc. But we don't love each other, never have said it anyway, don't live together, don't even spend the night together.

I always thought I'd get married after my divorce, married 18+yrs. But really, is this situation not better than marriage?

I wouldn't worry about the sin aspect. I'm sure you commit other non-sexual sins every day, so getting married again won't make you a saint. However, you've been seeing each other two years and you say there's no love there, so if love is what you're looking for, this arrangement doesn't sound ideal.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:32 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,971,833 times
It is for me since I am not ready for LT as yet. Too many things I want to do and places I want to see. (25 yr old).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships