Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:00 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,989 times

Advertisements

Hi, how are you?

So I was seeing this guy off and on for 8 months. He was erratic, loud and mercurial, but also interesting and a lot of fun. Ultimately, he was not compatible with my personality, and it would have to be me doing all the changing.

So I told him we were done for the final time about a month or 6 weeks ago. I just couldn't do it any more. Since then I have been seeing someone who is much more compatible with me, he is quiet and reasonable. He lives kind of far away though, and we are both busy, so can only get together about every week or two. It feels like a real relationship, we talk or skype every night, and I'm not pushing it at all.

But today I called my ex guyfriend just to catch up on his news. It was probably wrong, but I do still care about him. I did not say "let's get back together" or anything like that. It just feels wrong that he is "somebody that I used to know" like the Gotye song.

Is it a bad idea to do this? He seemed very awkward and strained on the phone, but neither of us let the conversation get out of hand. I don't want to 'lead him on' or whatever. I do care, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
You dated for 8 months and broke up with him only a month ago. My question to you is why you think your call would be well-received by him.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,989 times
I know what you mean, Liberty.

I don't know the protocol here. Are you supposed to just cut somebody out of your life? I care about him, and I care about his kids, and his business, which I was helping out with. I can't be with him, romantically, he's just not right for me. He's a really good man though and I care.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,783 times
The protocol is you go into NO CONTACT....

Which means don't TEXT HIM, DON'T CALL, AND DON'T SEE HIM.

It's better this way and will help you completely move on. As I guy I will not deal with any woman who still talks to her ex's because that is a red flag for me. Why should I have to deal with any of your ex's?

Think about it in that perspective too since you are single and ready to mingle.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:46 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
It's probably best to let it go. You can't "uncall" him but don't make a habit of this. Just let him move on with his life and you move on with yours. Don't let it grow complicated when it can be simple.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,994,360 times
No idea why GIRLS do this. Break up with a guy, then contact him later, and ask someone else if it was the right thing to do.

COME ON!

Old 02-07-2014, 10:32 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post

So I told him we were done for the final time about a month or 6 weeks ago..
So... how do you define 'done for the final time'?

In my book, that means no contact of any kind; it does NOT mean stringing him along with phone calls.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,795,818 times
"Done for a final time" yet you called to catch up? That's just silly.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:31 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
I know what you mean, Liberty.

I don't know the protocol here. Are you supposed to just cut somebody out of your life? I care about him, and I care about his kids, and his business, which I was helping out with. I can't be with him, romantically, he's just not right for me. He's a really good man though and I care.
The way I look at it, you didn't care enough to want to stay in a relationship with him. You can care about someone by letting them go and giving them the space to move on with their life without you.

I am not a believer that you need to stay in contact with everyone you've ever known or ever dated. I don't see the need. My ex-husband pops up every few months to say hello and we exchange pleasantries and that's it. I wouldn't call us friends. We were together for 13 years and our relationship served a purpose in a particular time of life, but that part is over with. I have moved on and it really doesn't serve any purpose to have him in my life now.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
So I told him we were done for the final time about a month or 6 weeks ago. I just couldn't do it any more. Since then I have been seeing someone who is much more compatible with me, he is quiet and reasonable. He lives kind of far away though, and we are both busy, so can only get together about every week or two. It feels like a real relationship, we talk or skype every night, and I'm not pushing it at all.
First bolded part -- Meaning there was at least one other time when you told him you were done, but later got back together? From his POV, this call was likely you sniffing around his door considering the possibility of getting back together. Afterall, if you weren't interested, you would not have called.

Second bolded part -- It's interesting that you talk about your new relationship only with a though. And in the same paragraph talking about breaking up with the first guy. So it at least sounds like you're not really all into ths new relationship due to distance and might not be opposed to getting back with the first guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships