Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Has he been seen by a Physician? Perhaps he is in the early stages of dementia (sp), or Alzheimers.
This is what I was thinking. They typically become fixated on something, and won't see to reason because they can't.

Urge him to get a check-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 06:24 PM

39,253 posts, read 27,650,711 times
Many older gentlemen who suffer from depression are often dismissed as having “grumpy old man syndrome”. Maybe your husband cannot control his behavior at this point. It looks like you two have been through a lot.

I am 28 years old. My mom loves to shop with me. (She just turned 62 and has not been very happy about aging although she looks like she is still in her 40s) Staying young and active is very important to her. My dad likes to hang out with his friends. He likes to play golf and travel. My mom and dad love each other very much but they take time off from each other.

Do you have very close girl friends whom you can hang out with? It is depressing to be the primary care taker of somebody all the time.

There are care taker support group and maybe you can check it out. You can share stories about life as the caretaker and the hardships of life. You can find comfort and support in knowing that you're not alone.

Take care!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,111,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Has he been seen by a Physician? Perhaps he is in the early stages of dementia (sp), or Alzheimers.
^^^ This. ^^^

Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM

99 posts, read 148,953 times
Oh my!
You have every reason to be tired of him, thats for sure.
BUT.....this is when you need to remember your vows.
Pray for understanding, get help for your spouse &
take a spa vacation.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,554,546 times
One more recommending he goes to a doctor to be tested. You both need to have activities apart, maybe even take separate vacations/trips. You go visit your family and he goes visit his (or old friends in other locations). Time apart will make both of you realize how much you depend on each other or not.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,789,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
I am 62 and my husband is 65. I have known him since I was 13 years old. We have been married 43 years. No children. I am tired. We have been through a lot, cancer, heart attack, pain pill addiction, lots of broken bones and arthritis hence, pain pill addiction. Now we argue about a whether a table was setting up or folded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was set up because I had things on it but he doesn't remember it at all and it was his stuff on it. He says he mowed the yard all summer last year and I did it. He has bad rotator cuffs and arthritis and I always mowed it. When he sees a bump in the road he all but wants me to stop and go over it like a huge speed bump. I could go on and on but I am just worn out with him. Sometimes I don't want him around anymore. Has anyone been in this situation ? I could really use some input, positive or negative, I don't care. Thank you all.
Tazy I'm sorry for how hard things are right now

Honestly, it sounds as though your husband is going through some kind of early dementia.

Have you had him checked out by his doctor? These personality changes are so common in early dementia!

Please please consult a medical professional as soon as you can.

Best of luck.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,672,043 times
My aunt and uncle are like this. Of the two, my aunt talks to me and she is miserable, but doesn't know how to do anything else but be in that marriage with him. Anyways, despite all this, you probably "Love each other very much", right? :|

Old 06-06-2013, 02:44 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,069,190 times
I'd suggest you find a hobby so when he becomes annoying you can leave the house and have something fun to do. Sounds like you are around him too much.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,394,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well you're probably right but the relationships forum is full of teenybop problems and young guys wanting to know how to score with a girl, so perhaps her post belongs more here where posters her age can relate and respond with experience and empathy. Her thread would move quickly to the bottom and out on other forums. I'll think about her question and reply in a minute.
Wait. We're the TEENYBOP forum? Seriously?

Old 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM

10,192 posts, read 11,177,004 times
I agree with those who said - get his checked by a Physician. There could be underlying reason(s) he's become the way he is. This should be your first step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships