Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 PM

217 posts, read 307,426 times

Advertisements

There was this girl who was in my circle of friends in college, and I thought I had a good flirty thing going with her. My friends were always pressuring me to ask her out. I graduated last December and she's still in school. I'm going to work in the city where our college was located and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a little bit of hope that I'll get another opportunity to hang out with her.

But here's the weird thing. Right when I graduated, I announced the fact on Facebook. When I signed in an hour later, I noticed that her account had been deactivated, and it has remained so up until now. This seemed weird since she was pretty active on Facebook and her disappearance corresponded so perfectly with me announcing that I was done with school.

I also went back to hang with some friends and she ended up being there too, but I wasn't getting the same vibe as before. 1-word answers, no eye-contact, etc. I was kind of disappointed because she used to light up and talk to me when I showed up to social gatherings.

Any ideas why this might be? I honestly don't have any hopes of being with her, but I just like to know why someone would seem to like me and then suddenly, poof, nothing. I'm especially interested in whether me graduating somehow sparked her disappearance from Facebook (People who are very active on Facebook don't usually just disappear from it, let alone disappear without warning their friends).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,625 times
People deactivate their account all the time - least from my experience - getting spammed, drama, etc. Doesn't mean she won't be back. You could always ask?

Old 06-08-2013, 07:42 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I think you should go out on a limb and ask her out. Maybe she's disappointed because she thinks you're gone now, and her chances with you are over. You won't know if you have a shot unless you ask. You've got nothing to lose.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
are you sure she didnt block you, instead of deactivating her account?

@anyrate, she doesn't seem interested in you anymore. so, i suggest you move on.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
are you sure she didnt block you, instead of deactivating her account?
Yes. Facebook constantly makes changes on their interface works, but I've done some investigation and I know that, as of now:

(1) There is no deleting your Facebook profile. It's always there!
(2) The most you can do is deactivate it. When you deactivate your profile, you still show up on your friends' friends lists if they scroll through it, but they won't see your name if they type it into the query and if they click on your profile then it'll say "X has deactivated his/her profile." Also, the deactivated person is completely invisible to any non-friends of theirs.
(3) Blocking someone automatically unfriends them and makes you completely invisible to them.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
People deactivate their account all the time - least from my experience - getting spammed, drama, etc.
Right, but the timing seemed a little too coincidental. I have a few theories. One is that she had already been considering deactivating her profile, and when she saw that I was graduating (and thus leaving the area) she made the split-second decision to do it then so that, as an added bonus, she could see if I would respond to that by texting her "Hey, did you delete your Facebook?" or whatever. That would be her way of knowing whether I still wanted to keep in contact.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
The next time you see her when you are with your other friends why don't you ask HER, she is the only one who knows why she did what she did. The best way to get an answer is usually to ask directly the one you want the answer from.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
How close WERE the two of you?

I mean, you're either really overestimating the importance of your announcement to her, or she blocked you because she didn't actually like you and was worried you'd start hanging around her again.

I personally think she blocked you.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
Yes. Facebook constantly makes changes on their interface works, but I've done some investigation and I know that, as of now:

(1) There is no deleting your Facebook profile. It's always there!
(2) The most you can do is deactivate it. When you deactivate your profile, you still show up on your friends' friends lists if they scroll through it, but they won't see your name if they type it into the query and if they click on your profile then it'll say "X has deactivated his/her profile." Also, the deactivated person is completely invisible to any non-friends of theirs.
(3) Blocking someone automatically unfriends them and makes you completely invisible to them.
Id be speculating why she went cold on you. so, you're going to have to ask her.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You've got nothing to lose.
That's what everyone says whenever the topic is asking someone out. And it is true if you're at some random resort for a vacation and you know there's a 0.00001% chance of you ever seeing the vacationist girls again. It's not true when someone is in your circle of friends.

In any case I don't want to ask her out. I'm just curious why she seemed friendly and then disappeared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships