Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:52 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,612,909 times

Advertisements

Yes, its called sexual attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
It can happen. But not always. Was a friend with my prom date. Later became close friends...lol
Then I dated my best guy friend's best friend. We hung out as buds then things lead to dating.

Op in life things happen differently for everyone. My advice is if you like someone ask them out. Get it done and over with. Even if you get rejected know that you had the balls to try. And maybe the next one or rather the right one will say yes.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 AM

217 posts, read 307,905 times
Well, I've heard two different conceptions of the friend zone.

The first is the idea that a woman can be attracted to you, but if you don't make a move quickly enough, then she punishes your behavior by placing you in the friend zone, where you'll have to work your way out of.

The second idea is that a woman who is not attracted to you can keep you around as a friend for emotional comfort, and might lead you on a bit, although she'll always keep you at arm's length.

The first idea is false. As long as a woman is attracted to you and is available, you have unlimited tries at banging her or asking her on a date. You can always do the "Brad Pitt Thought Experiment" on dating issues. Here, ask yourself, If a socially awkward Brad Pitt hanged out with a girl on 50 occasions and never made a move on her, would she put him in the friend zone? Obviously not.

The second idea is true. I've witnessed it countless times.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
My sister's been friends first with every guy she dated...in one case for over a decade. An uncle was friends with his wife before dating her. A buddy was friends with a girl for about a year before dating her. A female pal was friends online with her current fiancé before dating him.

It has been proven that the friend zoning occurrence is, at least, not the case all the time.
Friends and friend zoned are two different things. Not sure how there is any doubt that friends can become lovers. It happens all the time. Friend zoned is one has made a decision on some level for some reason to exclude the other as a romantic partner. If both are available and looking then that is not likely to change. But if the reason is because one or the other is in a relationship, then that might change if both later become available.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:53 AM

29,759 posts, read 34,454,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Friend zoned is one has made a decision on some level for some reason to exclude the other as a romantic partner. If both are available and looking then that is not likely to change. But if the reason is because one or the other is in a relationship, then that might change if both later become available.
Friend-zone is not something that women actually do to a man. It's something that men do to themselves. If she likes him but does not want to sleep with him, she has not maliciously put him in any sort of zone. If he wants more from her than she's willing to give, then he needs to walk away.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,607,561 times
I've never really understood the concept "friendzone". I've had female friends whom I went on to date or have sex with, and women I've dated or had sex with whom I went on to be friends with.

Sure, oftentimes people (male or female) don't want to have sex with someone they're friends with, but I don't think of it as a "zone." It's just a lack of sexual interest in that person.

Last edited by nearnorth; 06-11-2013 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,964,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While I'm not denying it's existence, I'm more questioning the idea that, once you become friends with a girl/woman you don't have a hope of making an intimate question. I think the obvious reality is that most, perhaps the majority, of relationships begin with friendships, sometimes even after a long time. If the FZ thing applies in most cases what is the maximum 'incubation period' of a friendship before you it to escalate into something romantic?
Yes and no.
Basically to me the 'friendzone' is when a woman isn't attracted to a guy, but he is someone they are willing to befriend.
But over time, if someone gets to know anyone well enough, romantic feelings can develop.
IMO, that is how guys that aren't so attractive wind up with women that are above average or very attractive. More than likely, the woman and the not so attractive guy build a friendship, a bond first. [i]something[/b] attracted the woman to the not so attractive guy, and more than likely, it wasn't his profile picture.

There is no incubation period. Timing is everything. If you are interested in a woman, then ask her out. If she says no, then let go of the idea of dating that woman.
Nothing wrong with being friends.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,811,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Time to watch some more animal documentaries!

(and this time don't get angry about them )
I know this is a joke, but it's also ironic... Beta male chimps in the wild will "make friends" with female chimps for the chance to mate with them. And it works. There is an article about it the American Journal of Physical Anthropology.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Friend-zone is not something that women actually do to a man. It's something that men do to themselves. If she likes him but does not want to sleep with him, she has not maliciously put him in any sort of zone. If he wants more from her than she's willing to give, then he needs to walk away.
She has put him in a zone, "maliciously" or not.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Sure, oftentimes people (male or female) don't want to have sex with someone they're friends with, but I don't think of it as a "zone." It's just a lack of sexual interest in that person.
Semantics. Same thing, others are simply giving a term for a condition you leave unnamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships