Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

While I'm not denying it's existence, I'm more questioning the idea that, once you become friends with a girl/woman you don't have a hope of making an intimate question. I think the obvious reality is that most, perhaps the majority, of relationships begin with friendships, sometimes even after a long time. If the FZ thing applies in most cases what is the maximum 'incubation period' of a friendship before you it to escalate into something romantic?

Last edited by Trimac20; 06-10-2013 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Yes I believe in the friendzone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think the obvious reality is that most, perhaps the majority, of relationships begin with friendships, sometimes even after a long time.
This is projection and exactly the kind of thinking that gets guys friendzoned. Because men combine the two (even though they think they separate them), they can not fathom that women are capable of separating friends from sexual partners, and when friendzoning happens to them they are shocked. "How could she NOT want to have sex with me? We're so close and such good friends!"

A woman who does not friendzone a guy is simply one who is already sexually attracted to that guy and will let him know that, even if they don't have sex right away.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:13 PM

706 posts, read 1,205,525 times
All depends on if she will ever see you/ the guy in a romantic way. I have friends that will always be friends because I will never be attracted to them. We never talk about sex or anything sexual because I just won't go there with them, we just hang out and have a good time. However if you have a friend that is very open and talks about sex and sexual content there is the potential of a romantic relationship. IMO

Old 06-10-2013, 10:14 PM

219 posts, read 566,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Yes I believe in the friendzone.

This is projection and exactly the kind of thinking that gets guys friendzoned. Because men combine the two (even though they think they separate them), they can not fathom that women are capable of separating friends from sexual partners, and when friendzoning happens to them they are shocked. "How could she NOT want to have sex with me? We're so close and such good friends!"
exactly, i bought this whole "friendship" crap, being White Knights to girls. Doesn't work.

Mainstream Media will have you believe it works, but it doesn't.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:16 PM

219 posts, read 566,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
All depends on if she will ever see you/ the guy in a romantic way. I have friends that will always be friends because I will never be attracted to them. We never talk about sex or anything sexual because I just won't go there with them, we just hang out and have a good time. However if you have a friend that is very open and talks about sex and sexual content there is the potential of a romantic relationship. IMO
meh, not sure. my two closest females friends share sex stories a lot, we've never had sex, and never will.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While I'm not denying it's existence, I'm more questioning the idea that, once you become friends with a girl/woman you don't have a hope of making an intimate question. I think the obvious reality is that most, perhaps the majority, of relationships begin with friendships, sometimes even after a long time. If the FZ thing applies in most cases what is the maximum 'incubation period' of a friendship before you it to escalate into something romantic?
No, I don't believe in the Friend Zone. But I think a belief in the Friend Zone develops in an understandable way.

Men are often told that they should become "friends first" with the women they desire. While this is a good strategy in theory, it often fails in practice. The problem with is that single, available women are almost always being pursued by several men at any given time. If a man moves too slowly, if he attempts to be "friends first," he will usually get knocked aside by another man who is more aggressive. That is what men when they say they are in the Friend Zone.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:21 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Time to watch some more animal documentaries!

(and this time don't get angry about them )

Old 06-10-2013, 10:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Every girl I date has some sort of friend zoned doormat. Yes it exists.. I don't understand how someone is even capable of having such low self respect they'd put themselves through that.

Being friends with a girl is normal, but being friends with a girl secretly waiting for your opportunity is one of the dumbest things a person can do.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
People have been friends first and developed into more. I have a few exes like that. Went to a wedding this past week for a couple that started out that way.

Friendzone is just what guys call it when she simply isn't attracted to you but you can't let the dream go. But that has nothing to do with whether you can be friends first before eventually turning into lovers IMO.

ETA: to better answer the OP's question, I will say the longest "incubation period" for me personally was about 3 years. The couple whose wedding I attended recently were friends for about 5-6 years before they started dating. I will say none of the examples involved one single person approaching another single person for a date only to be turned down and and offered a friendship instead. Either one or both were dating someone else when they met and/or there was no attraction at first and they were just friends.

Last edited by Tinawina; 06-10-2013 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
imho. if youre in the FZ folder, youre most likely staying there. I believe, a woman knows within the first 20mins if something romantic is ever going to happen. If a guy isn't bedding her within (lets say a week) you're most likely just a hangout buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships