Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I think of this. I look back to very early in my SO and my relationship. I broke it off with him. He carried some things that I really didn't want to deal with and I decided I didn't' need it and after all I had been through I didn't deserve it either.

He was a great guy. I knew that from the first day I met him, that's for sure. He had an ex gf. Doesn't everyone? I was a separated woman with kids at the time, not even divorced yet. It was a bad marriage and in all honesty, I was looking for that someone that I would settle down with and I just wanted it to be easy. Just for one time in my life.

Life isn't always easy.

He was attached to his ex gfs daughter. He had been a father to her for 5 years. I understood that. His ex gf was a wench. She would tell him what he could and couldn't do. What WE could and couldn't' do.

He did too much for her. Not to include the daughter. He did more than I knew at that point.

One day I finally decided I was done with it. I laugh now, as my sister helped me with my decision. I always went against what she said and she was always right in the end.

I didn't need him. I didn't want him and the crap he came with. That was it. We were done. Just like that. I went on a date with another man that evening just to prove it. It was awful. All I heard was blah blah blah and all I did was think about my SO.

We still talked and texted, and we were still friends. The next week I had an awful couple days at work and he told me it sounded like I needed a hug. He was right.

If you know my story, you know he lived more than an hour away, and more than two in the traffic. He was there for me that evening, with a hug. A shoulder to cry on. Dinner.

The next day it was killing me because I realized that he was the good person that I needed in my life. I was stubborn.

I carried on for a bit longer just being his friend until one day i couldn't stand it. I told him that I didn't just want to be his friend and I did want him in my life but his ex gf was not to be included. He told me he would change.

Isn't that what all men say? Well he meant it. We have been together ever since. We fell in love. We made plans together. We met one anothers families. I look back to the choice I could have made and I just shake my head.

I am so happy that I changed my mind and so grateful for the wonderful man I have.

I know this was long.....

Have you ever had to make a choice? Did it go wrong or right? Would you change things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,334,391 times
I was at a crossroad once and had to make a choice. It was my senior year in high school. I had the choice of staying local and be with my high school sweetheart and one day marry her or go out on my own and try to find this girl who I once saw in my cousin's picture album when I was out of town visiting her and her family. Yeah, crazy huh? Leave the girl who loves me so that I can go on a long journey to find this stranger and ask her if she would be mine..............................Guess what I did? LOL....

I went on that journey and found her and ask her if she would be mine. We've been together for 20 yrs, married almost 15 years. Talk about crazy huh?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,372,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I was at a crossroad once and had to make a choice. It was my senior year in high school. I had the choice of staying local and be with my high school sweetheart and one day marry her or go out on my own and try to find this girl who I once saw in my cousin's picture album when I was out of town visiting her and her family. Yeah, crazy huh? Leave the girl who loves me so that I can go on a long journey to find this stranger and ask her if she would be mine..............................Guess what I did? LOL....

I went on that journey and found her and ask her if she would be mine. We've been together for 20 yrs, married almost 15 years. Talk about crazy huh?
Wow, that is crazy and such a risk! Glad it worked out for you!!! =)

Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,812,988 times
I'm lucky we ran into each other again. The first time we met, he was just another guy. I saw him in class and in a study group. Whenever he tried to move discussion to something besides class, I could have been nicer. I just stopped talking and looked at him blankly and waited for him to stop trying. I just wanted to get the work done and get out of there. I wasn't interested in college life. I had my own life and friends. And I thought he was such a nerd.

The next time we ran into each other, he had has his act together and I was the one drifting. He hadn't suddenly stopped being a nerd. But I got to see what kind of man he was. I think, under different circumstances, I wouldn't have been so grateful to see a friendly face and still wouldn't have given him leeway.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,661,345 times
Awww very sweet, Pik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships